D&D 5E Preview: Manticore

Sacrosanct

Legend
The spines around the main are a little weird, considering the wings would almost assuredly clip them all the time. .

I'm guessing they are like porcupine spines, or lizard frills, in that they are laid back when flying, and only displayed when threatened.

MarkB

Legend
After a few more viewings, I am starting to come round to thinking that it's unsettling in a good way, rather than just offputting. Certainly, I'd hate to get any limbs near that mouth - and I do like the shark-style multiple rows of teeth.

It'll be interesting to see this one in miniature form, if they make any manticore figures.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Oh no, a manticore! Quick, everyone lie flat on your back. That helps for some reason, until it runs out of spiky bits.

GM: Ah, good, you increased your profile 1000% to a flying creature instead of someone on the ground, like you. Manticore has advantage on every shot.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
The face is off-putting...but I think I like it...in an off-putting way. I mean I would hate to encounter that mug.

Actually looks closer to a classic illustration. Very cool.
mentichore.jpg

Unwise

Adventurer
The bit that bugs me is the "they fear dragons and avoid them" bit. Not quite sure that is really worth a line of text. So, it is just like every other creature in the world, good to know. The art kind of looks like it has some odd contrast levels, like they photoshopped on a face and fiddled with it but never really got the contrasts between the two pictures to match. I'm no artist though, I may well be wrong.

Klaus

First Post
Really? I guess it's all subjective of course, because I really didn't like 4e's version (I'm assuming you mean this one). And that's disappointing because 4e did have a lot of good art.

I really like this one, and agree with the earlier comment about the face being unsettling, and in a good way.

There was another 4e Manticore illo in the Monster Vault, by Steve Prescott, which was quite awesome.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The bit that bugs me is the "they fear dragons and avoid them" bit. Not quite sure that is really worth a line of text. So, it is just like every other creature in the world, good to know.

It does give them a little flavor.

Manticore 1: Guys, I see this thing eating horse on our turf.
Manticore 2: WHAT? That our horse!
Manticore 3: Let's kill this thing you say eat our horse!
Manticore 4: And eat it!
Manticore 2,3 & 5: YEAH!
Manticore 1: Yeah! I call dibs on it wings.
Manticore 5: Wait, wait wait. It have wings. It can fly?
Manticore 2: You no mention flying. I no like melee. Just clean paw fur.
Manticore 1: Yeah, it fly.
Manticore 3: No worry, guys. Many enemy fly. Do it have beak like griffon?
Manticore 1: No beak.
Manticore 2: Horns. Do it have horn like stupid perytons?
Manticore 1: Yeah.
Manticore 4: Stupid perytons. Feather wings taste good.
Manticore 1: It got no feather.
Manticore 2: Then it wyvern. Too easy but nasty food. Stinger yucky.
Manticore 1: No stinger.
Manticore 3: Wait a second. Nope nope. I'm out.
(Manticore 3 starts flight away)
Manticore 2,4,&5: Why? You coward chicken face.
Manticore 3: That dragon!
Manticore 1: Screw that. Out.
Manticore 2: Done! Time to leave
Manticore 4: I liked this place too. Good meat.
Manticore 1: Guys only 1 dragon. 5 of us. Not even big dragon.
Manticore 2: You dumb, bro.
Manticore 4: Manticores eat everything but don't mess with dragon.

I think putting a man's head on a lion's body (with bat wings and a spiky tail) should be a little bit unsettling. I like the rows of spiky teeth in its mouth... also, anyone notice the vaguely man-like hands as well?

Also I am really digging the sort of "return to 2nd edition" with the flavor text. It tells us exactly how a manticore behaves, it's motivations, fighting style... the idea of that thing providing aerial support to a group of orcs is rather terrifying, and something I probably wouldn't have thought of had it not been mentioned.

Remove ads