D&D 5E Preview Witchlight's New Rabbit People

You can take a look at the harengons, a rabbit-themed race in the upcoming Wild Beyond the Witchlight, over at D&D Beyond.

rabbit.jpg

Harengons are medium or small humanoids with a bonus to initiative, Dexterity saving throws, and a 'rabbit hop' which lets them jump up to five times their proficiency bonus without provoking opportunity attacks.

Creature Type. You are a Humanoid.

Size. You are Medium or Small. You choose the size when you select this race.

Speed. Your walking speed is 30 feet.

Hare-Trigger. You can add your proficiency bonus to your initiative rolls.

Leporine Senses. You have proficiency in the Perception skill.

Lucky Footwork. When you fail a Dexterity saving throw, you can use your reaction to roll a d4 and add it to the save, potentially turning the failure into a success. You can’t use this reaction if you’re prone or your speed is 0.

Rabbit Hop. As a bonus action, you can jump a number of feet equal to five times your proficiency bonus, without provoking opportunity attacks. You can use this trait only if your speed is greater than 0. You can use it a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

When you create a harengon or fairy using the rules from The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, you can choose to increase one ability score by 2 and another by 1, or choose to increase three different scores by 1. Further, you know Common and will choose one other language to learn.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
Maybe we can imagine some Coyote people or Daffy duck people.
With trait like
Sore looser : Whenever you roll a 20 you reroll the dice until you have something else than 20.
Always late: you have disadvantage on initiative roll.
I'd prefer:

You're Despicable: Whenever you roll a 1, an opponent of your choice within 15 feet gains disadvantage on their next roll.
Cunning Plan: When outside of combat, you make Intelligence checks with advantage.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Because there are still racial features tied to races. This has been discussed to death, but making ability scores floating doesn't turn D&D into a Point Buy Game like GURPS or Mutants and Masterminds.
Maybe it doesn't, but it sure feels like that's what they'd do if they had free rain sometimes.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I wasn't actually kidding. If I were going to use haregon in a campaign, I would certainly have an NPC modeled on General Woundwort, even if I didn't use that exact name.

Woundwort is such a fascinating character--the rabbit who rebels against the cruel lot of rabbitkind, who successfully turns the tables on the "thousand enemies," but in the process becomes a brutal tyrant. He's a villain who needs only a small shift in perspective to make him a hero.
The line about Woundwort's legacy as essentially a demigod/boogeyman always struck me very powerfully. It's probably a big reason why I'm so fascinated by villains in fiction.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Rabbit Hop is a pretty decent ability for a race. It gets most of the Cunning Action: Disengage ability as a racial ability. Essentially as soon as your proficiency bonus is +2, you're jumping 10 feet with no opportunity attacks as a bonus action (and with that increased speed as well) twice per long rest. Pretty nice, and flavorful.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Maybe it doesn't, but it sure feels like that's what they'd do if they had free rain sometimes.
Who is the "they" in this situation? WotC? Or the people, like me, who have been advocating for this change? Because if it's the latter, I'll have you know that this is absolutely not true. I don't want D&D to become a point-buy system like GURPS. I want distinct races/lineages. I just wanted a change from the Racial ASIs that were present in the PHB up until TCoE. I got that change. I'm content now. There is no "slippery slope". It's all good.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Unless I missed it, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Usagi Yojimbo by now, and how there's gonna be a lot of Miyamoto Usagi PCs floating around.
I just think of the very cavalier wandering mercenary rabbit-ladies from a short story by Saladin Ahmed.

That and Final Fantasy rabbit warrior ladies.

I hope heroforged gets better rabbit faces at some point. The one they have is just creepy more than anything. I had to give the fantasy-futuristic Rabbit assassin I made for Space Fantasy have a human face just to not be creeps out lol

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Rabbit Hop is a pretty decent ability for a race. It gets most of the Cunning Action: Disengage ability as a racial ability. Essentially as soon as your proficiency bonus is +2, you're jumping 10 feet with no opportunity attacks as a bonus action (and with that increased speed as well) twice per long rest. Pretty nice, and flavorful.
Gonna have to make a haregon fighter with a spear. Final Fantasy Dragoon Knight style.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases