• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Primeval Awareness and other hidden gems

fuindordm

Adventurer
Gnomish Cunning looks insanely good. Having advantage on Int, Wis, and Cha saves?
Move over, dwarves. I'm making a gnome eldritch warrior with Resilience so I have proficiency in Str, Dex and Con saves, and advantage in all the rest. :)

Riley37

First Post
Guidance, the clerical cantrip. +1d4 to almost every noncombat ability check, such as skill rolls, as long as you have six seconds to prep for the task. If you aren't Concentrating on anything else out of combat, you can keep it running for whenever a fight starts and you need to roll Initiative, since that's a stat check.

Dissonant Whispers, when used against a monster engaged with multiple party members who can each Opportunity Attack it when it flees.

Last edited:

trentonjoe

Explorer
Everyone else probably knows this but I realized last night:

Misty Step- BONUS ACTION- ONLY VERBAL- Hello, getting out of a grapple! or CHARGE!
Fly- speed becomes 60'- Yeah, my dwarven warlock is now faster than the monk with wood elf monk with mobile!

Pickles JG

First Post
Everyone else probably knows this but I realized last night:

Misty Step- BONUS ACTION- ONLY VERBAL- Hello, getting out of a grapple! or CHARGE!
Fly- speed becomes 60'- Yeah, my dwarven warlock is now faster than the monk with wood elf monk with mobile!

Misty stepmis grand. The fly thing was a feature of my 3.0 dwarf so kind of familiar 😉

The Moonbeam spell is particularly nasty against hordes of low-level enemies like kobolds. Assuming average damage (11 at 2d10), it kills a normal kobold even if it saves, AND you can move it up to 60 feet on your turn-- and it only uses a 2nd-level slot. Combine that with its 10-foot diameter and you can use it as a very effective tool to make choke points as well. Bearing in mind it deals radiant damage, which almost nothing resists or is immune to, I can see it as a great spell to use at almost any level.

Moonbeam is good. I thought I had cleverly stacked my monsters in a corridor somthey could all attack one PC (spiders wall walking) then they got moonbeamed.
It also synergies with bonus actions like misty step or Healing word as it's not casting a spell.

Strangely enough? The GOO Chain warlock with the ability to link with your pet at distance, and read any writing. Psuedo-dragon

This sounds really strange, but I have run into a lot of fun using that little monster for everything. I have remotely controlled entire battles through my familiar this way, and the use of Suggestion and Dominate spells. I rarely need to be present at any battle, since I'll effectively have mind controlled people being used, with the pseudo dragon remotely commanding them. The telepathy and Eye Invocation lets me bypass any language barrier, making this the best spy you could imagine. Invisibility is a touch spell, so I can just cast it on the familiar. Break into someplace, read any documents through the familiar, eavesdrop on everything...

From miles away. You can be the ultimate shadow master doing this. No secret is safe. No one knows who has been subverted.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Mephista, I too play a GOO Chain Warlock and have had a lot of fun with invisible flying shapechanging familiars (usually a Quasit). However, the miles-away Suggestion trick doesn't work RAW.

Yes, you can see out of your familiar's eyes and thereby satisfy the "a creature you can see" requirement for targeting Suggestion. But the range is still 30 feet. 30 feet from the caster. That's you.

So while you could send your familiar into a building, and cast Suggestion at a target inside that you can see, your Warlock still has to be within 30' of that target. Rule as written, the familiar does not deliver (serve as point of origin of) anything except touch spells.

Same restriction applies to telepathy. "Any creature you can see", yes, but the target still has to be within 30' of "you."

GOO Chain is still super cool though. You can speak through your familiar without breaking its invisibility. Which is pretty close to telepathy. Probably indistinguishable, if the target is alone. And you could ask your DM if you can research/ask your patron for a touch-delivered Suggestion spell. Or give your Quasit a wand of Suggestion; it can use magic items.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
My favorite hidden gem is, probably unsurprisingly, Find Familiar. More specifically: a familiar + the Help action.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...dvantage-on-all-skill-checks-and-attacks-quot

Second favorite is using Battle Master maneuvers with a ranged weapon. Particularly the maneuvers that Push and knock Prone. With Push ("pushing attack"), you can knock targets off hard-to-reach or dangerous perches, or off of mounts. With Prone ("tripping attack"), you can shoot flyers out of the sky (PHB p 191, "If a flying creature is knocked prone, has its speed reduced to 0, or is otherwise deprived o f the ability to move, the creature falls, unless it has the ability to hover or it is being held aloft by magic, such as by the fly spell.")

Most flying creatures are pretty strong, so ideally you've got a friendly Diviner sitting on a 1. Because seeing a dragon fall out of the sky from a single arrow is pretty epic. Yeah: Bard was a Battle Master, and Smaug died from the falling damage.

Last edited:

Mephista, I too play a GOO Chain Warlock and have had a lot of fun with invisible flying shapechanging familiars (usually a Quasit). However, the miles-away Suggestion trick doesn't work RAW.

Yes, you can see out of your familiar's eyes and thereby satisfy the "a creature you can see" requirement for targeting Suggestion. But the range is still 30 feet. 30 feet from the caster. That's you.
I don't cast the spell through the familiar, I cast the spell in person, then use the familiar as a long distance remote control.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Heroes' Feast is fantastic, and actually a better thing to spend a spell slot on than Heal. It makes 12 people immune to poison, immune to fear, and gives them advantage on all Wisdom saves for a day. I found this out after I created a dungeon of creatures that relied on poison, fear and charming. The group is chortling every single time the spell helps them out. They're chortling a lot.

Heroes' Feast is fantastic, and actually a better thing to spend a spell slot on than Heal. It makes 12 people immune to poison, immune to fear, and gives them advantage on all Wisdom saves for a day. I found this out after I created a dungeon of creatures that relied on poison, fear and charming. The group is chortling every single time the spell helps them out. They're chortling a lot.

It also costs 1,000 gp per casting, so it's not something you can just cast every day.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads