• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Princes of the Apocalypse campaign recaps

Nebulous

Legend
We did not play this week (again, player indisposed) so hopefully we can catch up next week and soon finish this damn campaign! We are so close!!!

Nebulous

Legend
From my blog, this is the order of the recaps from beginning to current.

They aren't hyperlinked here, but i could go back and do that later perhaps.
Sessions 6,7,8,9 and 10 - all the ones at Feathergale Spire - were my favorite
of the whole campaign.

Session #1 – Red Larch
Session #2 – Berthunder’s Warehouse
Session #3 – Tomb of the Delvers
Session #4 – Terror at Lance Rock
Session #5 – Shallow Graves
Session #6 – Feathergale Spire
Session #7 – Lair of the Purple Wyrm
Session #8 – Escape from Feathergale Spire
Session #9 – Assault on Feathergale Spire
Session #10 -Deathtrap at Feathergale Spire
Session #11 – Rivergard Keep
Session #12– Beliard
Session #13 – Vale of the Dancing Waters
Session #14 – Return to Red Larch
Session #15 – Temple of the Howling Hatred
Session #16 – Queen Aerisi
Session #17 – Serena’s Deception
Session #18 – The Deception Continues
Session #19 – Sacred Stone Monastery, Part 1
Session #20 – Sacred Stone Monastery, Part 2
Session #21 – Sacred Stone Monastery, Part 3
Session #22 – Temple of the Black Earth
Session #23 – A Near Death Escape
Session #24 – Return to Black Earth Temple
Session #25 – Time to Leave
Session #26 – A Bullette Surprise & Future Plans
Session #27 – Air Temple Redux
Session #28 – Fane of the Eye
Session #29 – Guardians of the Earth Node
Session #30 – More Guardians of the Earth Node
Session #31 – The Medusa’s Node
Session #32 – Death to the Earth Node!
Session #33 – The Howling Caves
Session #34 – Death to the AIR Node!
Session #35 – The Lost Crown of Besilmer
Session #36 – The Looting of Black Earth Temple
Session #37 – Haayon the Punisher
Session #38 – Haayon’s Folly
Session #39 – A Doom of Ice and Fire
Session #40 – At the Halls of the Hunting Axe
Session #41 – The Lost Tomb of King Torild, Part 1
Session #42 -The Lost Tomb of King Torild, Part 2
Session #43 – Drannin’s Trap!
Session #44 – Return to the Vale of Dancing Waters
Session #45 – The Utter Defeat of Rivergard Keep
Session #46 – Temple of the Crushing Wave, Part 1
Session #47 – Temple of the Crushing Wave, Part 2
Session #48 – Temple of the Crushing Wave, Part 3
Session #49 – Temple of the Crushing Wave, Part 4 – A Coven of Hags
Session #50 – Temple of the Crushing Wave, Part 5 – The Enemy Flees
Session #51 – Temple of the Crushing Wave, Part 6 – Copper Vat Sucker Punch!
Session #52 – Another Horrible Devil & a Lizardish Battle
Session #53 – Enter the Water Node
Session #54 – The Water Node, Part 2
Session #55 – Assault on Shatterkeel, Part 1
Session #56 – Assault on Shatterkeel, Part 2
Session #57 – Assault on Shatterkeel, Part 3 (A.K.A. – “Sick of the Water Node“)
Session #58 – Death of Gar Shatterkeel
Session #59 – Serena & The Book of the Exalted
Session #60 – Yartar Faction War
Session #61 – Lair of the Krakenspawn
Session #62 – Demise of the Cointoss Tavern
Session #63 – “Where the Flame Still Flickers…”
Session #64 – Temple of the Eternal Flame
Session #65 – Temple of the Eternal Flame, Part 2
Session #66 – Temple of the Eternal Flame, Part 3- Brass Golem
Session #67 – Fane of the Triad
Session #68 – Death to the Fire Node!
Session #69 – Retreat From the Fire Node
Session #70 – Battle of the Triad, Part 1
Session #71 – Battle of the Triad, Part 2
Session #72 – Escape from the Fane of the Eye
Session #73 – Symbol of the Fiery Throat
Session #74 - The Machinations of Imix

Last edited:

afdarcy

Villager
Hey [MENTION=6896493]Nailen[/MENTION], welcome to ENWorld.

I have been DMing this campaign for 18 months, and here's my 2cp.

Added an idea (not come to pass yet) that there are gates that protect the temples. The heads of the Haunted Keeps only have a quarter of the key - so the PCs need to clear all the Keeps before heading down into the temples.

The PotA guides from Power Score Blog and Mike Shea (Sly Flourish) recommended this as well. (Both great resources for running this adventure if you haven't checked them out already.) Personally, I rejected the notion as a bit gamey and because I liked the sandbox aspect of the adventure. With hindsight, I wish I had followed their advice. Turns out I have a couple of goal-oriented players in my group, and so the PCs often ended up over their heads as they try to rescue the prisoners. While the threat of TPK has diminished as they levelled up, it has led to the situation where they slog through the lower levels and then steamroll the upper levels when they turn their attention to the next cult.

Is there a bridge at Womford? Or a ferry? It's not at all clear in the book.

The Ironford site is marked with an X rather than a bridge icon (see the Stone Bridge and also the bridge on the Long Road over the Black Maw Bog), so I interpreted this as a natural ford. But it seems that on the old maps it had a bridge. The Forgotten Realms Wiki page for Ironford cites a 2e sourcebook that says the bridge was burned down when some adventurers used a wand of fireball. Perhaps it has been rebuilt since then? Seems strange to call a place Ironford and not have it be a ford though.

For the player hooks, how much does the player really know? e.g. for the hook around infiltrating the river pirates. Would the PC know that the pirates are based at a place called Rivergard Keep? And that the chief pirate is called Shoalar Quanderil?? I'm not sure how much info to give away....

I'd say it depends on what sort of adventure you want to run. Do you want them to follow clues in Womford and play out the deception with Shoalar? Or get straight to the action?

Have fun with the adventure!

Cheers,

Adam

Last edited:

Nailen

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Glad to see this thread is still active. I thought I might have missed the boat as most people played through PotA at least a year ago!!

I've gone with a ferry at Womford - I made it up on the spot but it makes sense.
[MENTION=6799425]afdarcy[/MENTION] - yes I've seen both those pages, and indeed that's where I got the idea from. :)

When I'm playing I find it easy to get frustrated when there isn't a clear path forward. I personally don't have a problem with obvious clues, because they at least stop us wondering around not getting anywhere.
Thus, I think I will supply the players with names of baddies and locations (not locations of locations, just the names!) I was a bit concerned about overloading them with information and rumours, although they are usually good at writing things down.
When they say Feathergale Spire from the Shallow Graves, I said that one PC suddenly remembered that he was meant to investigate the place as he heard that Thurl Merosska hangs out there. They didn't take the bait because the more dominant player wants to go to Womford to chase up on the dwarven book lead. I think they will end up battling Shoalar at the Womford docks and then get a lead to Rivergard Keep - perhaps a chart in the boat with it marked. The same player is the one with the 'smash the piracy ring' hook.

Nebulous

Legend
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Glad to see this thread is still active. I thought I might have missed the boat as most people played through PotA at least a year ago!!

I started 5e with Lost Mine of Phandelver, then segued into Princes right after. Since then I have missed:

1. Tyranny of Dragons
2. Rage of Demons
3. Curse of Strahd
4. Storm King's Thunder
5. Tales from the Yawning Portal

It's taken us 2 years to get through Princes, although granted we only play 2 hour sessions, and the past few months we have had some massive delays, we should have been done with this campaign in late May or early June. But the UPSIDE of our 2 hour sessions, it has given me time to flesh out details that I might not otherwise do, instead of barging through the campaign book as written.

So, I don't know how others get through all these campaigns. The best we could manage is 2 campaigns, if we had doubled up our time and then dove into another. Next up though, I'm pretty excited about TOMB of ANNIHILATION, it resets D&D back to my preferred low levels, 1-11, so I will likely pick that back up in October of this year, houserule some stuff I'm tired of in 5e, and add a helping of Xanathar's Book of Everything, which hopefully has some gritty alternative rules stuff.

Does anyone know if Xanathar does have alternate DM rules, and not just PC stuff?

Nailen

Explorer
So, we started with 5E late last year with Phandelver and loved it. Been playing the Mentzer edition Basic rule for the past 10 years or so. Longest campaign we did was when I ran B10: Night's Dark Terror which took us 18 months. Awesome module - would be so cool if Wizards updated it and re-released.
I'm expecting PotA to take us about 2 years to get through. We play weekly (ish) for about 2 hours as well.
Next on the list is Curse of Strahd, which one of the other guys will run.

My brother ran Phandelver and I'm thinking I might get him the Tyranny of Dragons books for Christmas so he can take us into them. Will that work?

Nailen

Explorer
From my blog, this is the order of the recaps from beginning to current.

They aren't hyperlinked here, but i could go back and do that later perhaps.
Sessions 6,7,8,9 and 10 - all the ones at Feathergale Spire - were my favorite
of the whole campaign.

I did read your early sessions. I will go back and read them again, and progress a bit further. I want to remember what happened at Feathergale Spire, and also Rivergard Keep.

Nebulous

Legend
I did read your early sessions. I will go back and read them again, and progress a bit further. I want to remember what happened at Feathergale Spire, and also Rivergard Keep.

In part, during my game prep, I had found a wonderful, hand drawn, full color map of a tower. During Feathergale Spire, it offered a very unique feel for the sessions. Also, the players came up with very clever ways to outsmart the Air cultists, and ultimately pitted them against the Earth cultists and destroyed the Sacred Stone Monastery without lifting a sword of their own.

Nailen

Explorer
So we played last night and they did the Womford Rats encounter, as they are following up on the dwarven books clue.

They arrived in Womford and went to the tavern that I decided was present. Buying a couple of beers for the old soak at the end of the bar got them the info they wanted - Womford is in trouble due to outlaws/pirates using the docks and strutting about owning the place. The worst one is in dock now - Rivermaid. He also mentioned that three lads has disappeared off up-river to try to join up.

The party hid behind the wharf/dock buildings to watch the boat. They saw Quanderil on deck and discussed what to do. They considered an all out attack but weren't sure that it wouldn't result in them getting in trouble with 'the law'.
So, one went up to talk to him, potentially to provoke a fight, while the others stayed hidden.
The conversation didn't last too long before he started to cast Tidal Wave. Quanderil rolled a 6 for initiative, so by the time he finished casting the spell he'd been hit by a wand of magic missiles and an arrow fired by a ranger with hunters mark and Colossus slayer!!
Highlights of the fight - the duid has taken a level in barbarian so can now morph into a raging bear which was pretty awesome. The monk was able to catch a crossbow bolt and fling it back at the bandit who fired it at him. Tidal Wave was a good spell - fitted the encounter nicely. However, before he could cast again he was such within a Silence spell and was then down to 5hp. He jumped off the side of the boat and attempted to swim away.
Another use of the wand of MM killed him off.

Good battle, the players enjoyed it. They are now sailing up river with one of the crew they Slept in the battle. He was willing to swap sides as they pay more. Plus they have recruited another deckhand.
The plan is to sail in, with Quanderil appearing briefly via an illusion. They will then request to join up in order to be taken to Jolliver....

An interesting observation is that they were thinking that Rivergard Keep is a side-quest! They are determined to find the Mirabar delegates. Luckily, I thought to drop in the hint that Quanderil's ship had transported folk, including prisoners and the dwarven tomes across the river around 10-15 days ago. This hint grabbed their attention and decided them to go up to Rivergard.
It's a good reminder that the players can only go on what the DM tells them and they can easily attach differing levels of significance to the hints than you expect.
Can't wait for next week!!

Remove ads