• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Princes of the Apolcalypse/Adventurer's Handbook by Sasquatch Game Studios

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
If you are the kind of person who doesn't care, then you probably wouldn't care if it was called anything else. If you're new to the game, and you've never heard of it, then you wouldn't care if it was called anything else. If you are a huge fan of all things Greyhawk, then you'll probably be incredibly irritated. It seems like WotC can only stand to lose more than they gain with these types of choices.

If you're the kind of person who cares deeply about Greyhawk, how difficult will it be to port the adventure over?

Thaumaturge?

Agamon

Adventurer
Setting an Elemental Eye themed campaign in the Forgotten Realms is a massive misstep.

Or...you could look at it as a Realms adventure that is even easier to port over to a Greyhawk campaign than normal (and it's pretty easy to start with).

Edit: Ninja'd by a wizard. How embarrassing. Did you multiclass while at GenCon, T?

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Not hard at all.

But that's not the point.

Except that the point is that something that WotC does causes internet drama. They could hand out $100 bills to whoever wanted them and there would be internet drama.

I say Greyhawk fans should be happy to see something that easily ports into their world.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I say Grayhawk fans should be happy to see something that easily ports into their world.

This is only going to start an argument. You can't argue with hurt feelings. And fans of Greyhawk have had their feelings stomped repeatedly for decades at this point.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I'm really pleased to see Rich Baker getting a guernsey again. He's been my favourite designer for years and I think his absence has been a major loss for WotC.

But it's great to see his name on yet another product, and one I find intrinsically more interesting than yet-another-Tiamat-based-adventure-path....

Mad Zagyg

Explorer
I hope the next adventure storyline is about Elminster trying to convince a halfling named Frodo to take the One Ring to Mount Doom so it can be destroyed once and for all. He could be accompanied by a ranger from the North named Drizzt and a barbarian named Wulfgar. On their way they could stop in the town of Bree at the Inn of the Welcome Wench, but Elminster will be late because he was delayed fighting Mordenkainen in his Obsidian Citadel.

All the while the dark lord Tharizdun sits on his Iron Throne in the land of Thay and plots the downfall of Krynn.

Agamon

Adventurer
This is only going to start an argument. You can't argue with hurt feelings. And fans of Greyhawk have had their feelings stomped repeatedly for decades at this point.

It won't turn into one on my part. Debate is one thing, but I walk away from heated arguments. Not worth it.

Agamon

Adventurer
But it's great to see his name on yet another product, and one I find intrinsically more interesting than yet-another-Tiamat-based-adventure-path....

Could you list all of the Tiamat-based adventure paths published so far? Admittedly, I'm not a big adventure buyer anymore, I didn't know there were any.

I used to be a big adveture buyer, though. I know of The Temple of Elemental Evil, Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, and Kenzer's Temple of Existential Evil.

Dahak

Explorer
Not directly - what I meant was a few of the choices they made made me think that there would be another book. As in why call the sourcebook a sourcebook "for the Elemental Evil story arc" if there's only going to be one adventure book for the arc? And if there's only going to be one adventure book for the arc, why not just call it "Elemental Evil" instead of calling it "Princes of the Apocalypse"? It seems to unnecessarily muddy up the brand unless the "Elemental Evil" arc is made up of more than one book. Just something about the way the ad copy reads that makes me think that in May or June there might be a second adventure book for the arc. I admit it's all tea-leaf reading and I've probably read way too much ad copy recently for my own good...

The current Expeditions line is also part of the Tyranny of Dragons "arc" (in addition to Hoard and Rise). It seems likely that future organised play modules will be part of the Elemental Evil story arc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads