• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Princes of the Apolcalypse/Adventurer's Handbook by Sasquatch Game Studios

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I like the rules supplement tied to a specific adventure/story-arc approach. It makes it much easier to know what to say "yes" or "no" to.

Thaumaturge.

Boarstorm

First Post
I'm not sure how I feel about splats being linked to APs. On the one hand, it will make the AP much more tempting if characters are tied directly to it.

On the other hand, will the information and options therein be useful for homebrew campaigns or story arcs later down the line?

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I'm not sure how I feel about splats being linked to APs. On the one hand, it will make the AP much more tempting if characters are tied directly to it.

On the other hand, will the information and options therein be useful for homebrew campaigns or story arcs later down the line?

Taking a cue from the Adventurers League guidelines, I think the supplements will be potentially useful for later campaigns and will be as useful as a DM wants them to be.

In the guidelines, they mention you pick the "storyarc" your character uses rules from. The storyarc doesn't have to be the current story. So, theoretically, 3 years from now, if you've got a cool idea for a character from the Adventurers Handbook, you can say you are making a Princes of the Apocalypse character for the March of the Modrons storyline.

All of that implies, to me, the rules will have a utility beyond just the one "super adventure". But we probably won't really know until March of next year.

Thaumaturge.

Out of the 2 game studios hired to do books for WotC, it seems like they all are run by former WotC employees. Which I guess is a good thing for them, since it's people they know.

As for expansions to classes in that book, I'm guessing there's going to be the elemental schools of wizardry and the elemental cleric domains. Monk is covered already by an elemental theme, but I guess I could see them having elemental Barbarians, Druids, Warlocks and Paladins.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I also like tying the sourcebooks into the storylines, so long as the storylines are suitably thematic. Elemental evil is pretty thematic for D&D, so I think it will probably be a good sourcebook. Has some decent developer names on it too. I could see problems if the storylines get more tightly "Realms focused", but if they can stick to iconic D&D storylines like "dragons" or "elemental evil" or "demons", I can see it working well.

They expect to kick off the next storyline in March - about a seven month gap from the kick-off of the Tyranny of Dragons storyline. That only gives them about 5 months until GenCon - will they kick off a new storyline there next year as well? I keep wondering if two storylines a year will be too ambitious. (It's far more ambitious than my group would ever be able to do, but we are old and can only play about once a month - or sometimes ever other month - so I suspect we might be outliers). I'd really like to see a second world in there - Ravenloft or Eberron or Dark Sun or Planescape or something. I can see how you wouldn't want to split your organized play like that, but I'd still like to see it.

And Princes of the Apocalypse is $50 instead of $30 (for Hoard of the Dragon Queen) The whole Tyranny of Dragons adventure is $60 between two books, but the way the ad copy is written I would kind of expect another book in the series. That's a bit of a shift - I wonder if the book is significantly bigger, or if the cost on the two Tyranny of Dragons books was lowered to make it attractive to jump on as a starting point for the new edition.

(The ad copy is also kind of annoying "Provides background and setting information critical to having the greatest chance of success." Just that one sentence- the rest of the ad was fine. You really don't need to do the hard sell of "BUY THIS BOOK OR YOUR CHARACTER WILL DIE IN THIS ADVENTURE". It's the second release of books for the game and it's going to be full of lots of bits and bobs for players - sales are going to be pretty good whether you beat that horse or not.)

Remove ads