Pro-GM Finder Site StartPlaying Raises $6.5M Funding

StartPlaying, which bills itself as "the largest site for connecting players with professional and hobbyist Game Masters to play any game system on any virtual tabletop" has reportedly raised $6.5M in funding from venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz. This new funding is intended to scale up the business, including marketing and doubling its team size. "Beyond growing a user base, this...

StartPlaying, which bills itself as "the largest site for connecting players with professional and hobbyist Game Masters to play any game system on any virtual tabletop" has reportedly raised $6.5M in funding from venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz. This new funding is intended to scale up the business, including marketing and doubling its team size.

dragon.jpg

"Beyond growing a user base, this is about community. Whether it's helping Game Masters and players find each other or collaborating with industry partners, we're proud to have the opportunity to bring people together through the power of games. The tabletop role-playing community is at its best when it's inclusive. We want StartPlaying to continue breaking down barriers for new players.
-Devon Chulick, StartPlaying"​

StartPlaying launched in September 2020 and has over 1,000 professional GMs on its books, having hosted over 100,000 games.

Ondath

Hero
I think that there is a shift in the mindset in a few ways (many of them would normally require more explanation, but I'm just nutshelling here)-

1. There is more of the idea of the "service economy" and the "gig economy" now, where people have an idea that you get paid for side hustles and/or work. This commoditization of labor within the economy has caused two things to happen- first, there are more smaller "side hustle" openings available, second, there are fewer "well-paid, 9-5, career" opening. Combine the two, and you often find that "volunteer" positions are understaffed, and there is a requirement that they be paid or compensated that didn't exist.

2. People are paying for experiences- from concerts to travel. Playing D&D falls within it, and they'd rather play than DM. In addition, you can always just "show up and play," whereas DMing requires more work outside of the gaming time.

3. There is more of an expectation among some players that DMs "serve" the players (kind of like how the perception of college professors has changed). To an extent, if a DM is going to "serve" the players, that DM is not going to want to get paid.

As always, IMO.
I think this is a fairly accurate description of the current state of things. To be honest, I'm not keen on the professionalisation of formerly amateur fields, if anything the rise of e-sports and the following professionalisation/commodification of multiplayer gaming realy makes me think that whenever people start thinking of their social hobby as "something they can make money off of", the hobby starts to deteriorate to make the experience for regular people into something grating. Especially if TTRPGs start getting designed around "professionals" like how MOBAs and FPSs started getting designed around e-sports, new games could end up showing some really annoying quirks that only make sense for pros and become really unfun for regular people.

I had a small fear this was going to happen with TTRPGs aiming to be more "streamable", but professionalisation in general would put the process on steroids.

MGibster

Legend
As for people opposing paid DMing, it was nice to note that there really hasn't been much of that in this thread. In previous ENWorld threads on the topic over the past few years there was a lot of strong opinons expressed against it. In some it seemed that the majority were against it. Surprising that doesn't seem to be the case now.
While I can't really see ever hiring a professional DM, I could certainly see myself DMing for cash or some other type of payment. I'm envisioning tons of groupies throwing their dice bags at me in ectasy while I read some particularly killer box text describing the latest dungeon the party are delving into. Maybe people are more open to it these days because we have professional DMs and players on platforms like Critical Role? As for me? I'm a live and let live kind of a guy, I'm fine with people doing whatever they want so long as nobody is getting hurt.

MGibster

Legend
I'm not going to work for you (or anybody) for $5 per hour.

(also I'm not a proGM, but if I was)
$2 per hour?
In all seriousness, it's tough making a living as an artist or an entertainer. Practically speaking, how much are people willing to pay to play through a four hour session of D&D? Is $20, $30, or $40 too much? Assuming five players, at the top end that would be $200 for the DM. How do you measure the value of a DM?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In all seriousness, it's tough making a living as an artist or an entertainer. Practically speaking, how much are people willing to pay to play through a four hour session of D&D? Is $20, $30, or $40 too much? Assuming five players, at the top end that would be $200 for the DM. How do you measure the value of a DM?
I can't tell you what other people would consider fair, but $15 per hour is what I would think fair for basic data entry work, and $100+ per hour is a lawyer. So somewhere in between those two figures? I don't live there, but the internet tells me that the average hourly wage in the US is $30. A basic living wage in the US is $17 per hour. I pay about £15 per person to see a two-hour movie, but movies have gigantic international economies of scale. I guess the answer to the question is--do you consider a pro-DM's efforts to be work?

MGibster

Legend
Dungeon Master Job Description

Job Summary: The dungeon master is an organizer and participant in role playing games who creates the details and challenges that player characters face during the course of their adventures. The DM is responsible for facilitating game play by either creating or adapting pre-made scenarios, interpreting game rules during play, assisting players in character creation, and maintaining continuity between scenarios.

Requirements (Education & Experience)

A bachelor’s degree in creative writing, literature, game design, psychology, or a related field. In lieu of a bachelor’s degree, two years of experience running games.

Specialized Knowledge and Skills
  • Thorough knowledge of D&D 5th edition including all official works published by Wizards of the Coast.
  • Exceptional oral and written communication abilities.
  • Ability to meet deadlines.
  • Attentiveness.
  • Detail oriented.
  • Ability to avoid pulling one’s hair out when all the players refuse to engage in the scenario you lovingly created.

MGibster

Legend
I can't tell you what other people would consider fair, but $15 per hour is what I would think fair for basic data entry work, and $100+ per hour is a lawyer. So somewhere in between those two figures? I don't live there, but the internet tells me that the average hourly wage in the US is $30. A basic living wage in the US is $17 per hour. I pay about £15 per person to see a two-hour movie, but movies have gigantic international economies of scale. I guess the answer to the question is--do you consider a pro-DM's efforts to be work?

Oh, wow. That's pretty spot on for basic data entry work. We have a position open in compensation where I work, if you want to move to the United States I'll put in a good word for you! In addition to the actual play time, I think we also need to take into account the amount of time it takes to prepare a session. And going further, there are additional expenses including the many rulebooks, dice, and other gaming paraphanelia including miniatures and a battlemat. If you show up to game night expecting to fight a red dragon, you're going to expect something cool for a session you're paying for. (This one miniature below cost me $40 and time, but then there's the sunk cost in my airbrush and paints to consider.)

Red_Dragon_1.JPG

And of course, are people willing to pay a DM enough to make the prospect profitable for them?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads