Pro-GM Finder Site StartPlaying Raises $6.5M Funding

StartPlaying, which bills itself as "the largest site for connecting players with professional and hobbyist Game Masters to play any game system on any virtual tabletop" has reportedly raised $6.5M in funding from venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz. This new funding is intended to scale up the business, including marketing and doubling its team size. "Beyond growing a user base, this...

StartPlaying, which bills itself as "the largest site for connecting players with professional and hobbyist Game Masters to play any game system on any virtual tabletop" has reportedly raised $6.5M in funding from venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz. This new funding is intended to scale up the business, including marketing and doubling its team size.

dragon.jpg

"Beyond growing a user base, this is about community. Whether it's helping Game Masters and players find each other or collaborating with industry partners, we're proud to have the opportunity to bring people together through the power of games. The tabletop role-playing community is at its best when it's inclusive. We want StartPlaying to continue breaking down barriers for new players.
-Devon Chulick, StartPlaying"​

StartPlaying launched in September 2020 and has over 1,000 professional GMs on its books, having hosted over 100,000 games.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
I tried a paid game in the fall and wasn‘t terribly impressed. Even though more than 1/2 the players were new, the GM spent too long recapping the last session and wasn‘t familiar with some of the basic functions of the VTT. She did have some terrific NPCs, and I appreciated the enthusiasm of the role playing - it was really well done. When it was finished the thought of coming back never crossed my mind.

A GM running a paid game should have a proper (paid) app for voice / chat - period. Discord is ok for a free app but sound quality wise doesn’t compare to teams, zoom, etc.

I’m really considering running a game or two to check this out. It would never be my intent to make a living at it 🙄 but if I could make $50/$100 a month to turn around and spend on more gaming stuff - sweet! Curious what hosts cut is.

As a side note, too bad players didn’t have ratings too 😉

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I guess it might be relevant to share my experience doing this kind of work:
I became a paid DM (I wouldn't call it professional personally unless it was my primary source of income, at the moment it just supplements my 5E writing income) in September 2020 after the Pandemic left me jobless and out of savings. I advertised my games on Roll20 and have had a steady paid campaign (homebrew) going since September 2020 that plays weekly.
Glad you were able to turn a hobby into a way to help you make some money after losing your job.

Do you feel that running games for pay takes the fun out of GMing for you? If you made the money you need/want at your job, but the job wasn't so demanding that you still had time to run games for pay, would you?

In my opinion and experience what paying players want is consistency and a degree of professionalism and effort. The ongoing game is two married couples that use it like a date night, they wanted a game that fit their time slot, and had the flexibility for them to be late because of kid problems, or that wouldn't mind having to pop away to deal with something.
How does that work? If you have a slot from 6pm to 10pm and the customer cannot join until 7pm and doesn't tell you until the day or or several hours before, do you still play 4 hour or do you just play from 7pm to 10pm? If for a shorter period because of lateness, do you charge the same? Do you charge for no shows?

There was one instance where I had to miss a schedule session with less than 24-hours notice.. The DM didn't have a clear policy on no-shows, and payment method was to be discussed at the session. I just e-mailed him to say I couldn't make it and sent the amount for the session by Pay Pal. I don't feel right asking for refunds, prorating for fewer hours and missed session, or a credit for a future sessions. I can imagine that when you are starting out, one is much more willing to accommodate to build clientele and avoid bad ratings. But I imagine that even well established folks will find themselves being more flexible than is fair to avoid poor ratings.

One thing that I'm concerned about with Start Playing is that payment is deducted at the start of the session. Maybe I missed something, but it seems that one could cancel up to the last minute. A more mature model is iTalki (a language-tutor platform) which has clear rules and mechanisms for this.

I use maps for probably 95% of my encounters and use music fairly often, I have a paid subscription to Roll20 so I can use FX and occasionally the dynamic lighting mechanic (it can be a bit much to set up at times, or just mess with performance).

Yeah, I think a little is a nice touch, but it can be overdone. Besides, most people are coming to play a TTRPG, not a video game, which hopefully keeps expectations reasonable. But as VTTs keep evolving, I fear things will get more like a video game. I wish more effort would go into smoothing things out, improving the GUI, smoothing the automating of area effects, etc. But cool spell animations make for better marketing.

Otherwise I've run the occasional arena style game with PCs vs monsters as a pick up paid game.
I'm signed up for Startplaying, but I haven't actually done anything with it yet, with my personal game, paid game, and the chance to maybe actually play coming up I'm already pushing 12+ hours a week.

Let us know what you think of Start Playing. It would be interesting to hear impressions from the other side of the DMs screen.

MNblockhead

$2 per hour?
x3, so $6. Very low. In my experience, especially at the lower price points, most paid DMs would want a minimum of 4 players. I was a bit surprised he went forward with just 3. Even with 4, though, that's only $8 and hour, which is still lower than minimum wage in most states in the US (but higher than in a number of them), and far below the proposed federal minimum wage ($15/hour). At 6 players you still don't get to the proposed federal minimum wage.

Going back to the Start Playing site, I'm surprise at how many are charging $10 per session, but most are 15 to 30 per session. The highest that can be charged is $50, but there are very few at that rate and many that were at $50, have been slashed 50% to $25. Doesn't look like customers are willing to pay $50. But $25 to $30 seems to be a sweet spot. Those charging $10 are likely new and trying to gain customers.

One annoying thing with the site is that it is not at all clear HOW long the sessions are for. You have to click on the session to see the details and the search function doesn't allow you search/filter on length of time slot. Randomly clicking on some:

$25 per seat for 3.5 to 4 hours, 6 seats available (if all seats filled that's $37.50 an hour if all 4 hours played).

A $10 session I clicked on is 3 to 4 hours, 6 seats available.

It seems most are for 3-4 hours, 3-7 seats.

I see a number that were originally at $20, that now have the $20 crossed out in red and are going for 12.50 now and some that were $50, now slashed to $25.

$50 is interesting, because at an online convention I attended a while ago, I payed $50 for a set on game run by the game designer.

For me, paying up to $30 would be a no second-thoughts payment for a set at a 4-hour game.

$50 would give me pause. But I would likely pay that for a GM who I have experience with and like or am otherwise confident that it will be a well run game. But that is still only $50 an hour to the GM for a 4 person game that runs for four hours. I'm surprised that Start Playing doesn't allow GMs to charge higher rates. It will drive the best away from the platform.

We have to remember that the time spent by the GM is not just the time running the game. There is the prep time. There is some time needed for set up, etc. There is overhead for VTTs, buying digital assets, buying adventures (or spending A LOT of time making your own), taxes, a good Internet connection, etc. Obviously, savvy GMs are going to re-run the same adventures for many groups and will set things up to reduce prep time, and many of the utilities and software may be things they would be paying for anyway, but all-in-all, it seems you need to charge no less than $25, live in an inexpensive area, and put in A LOT of time to make a living doing this full-time.

DorkForge

Explorer
Glad you were able to turn a hobby into a way to help you make some money after losing your job.

A Do you feel that running games for pay takes the fun out of GMing for you? If you made the money you need/want at your job, but the job wasn't so demanding that you still had time to run games for pay, would you?

B How does that work? If you have a slot from 6pm to 10pm and the customer cannot join until 7pm and doesn't tell you until the day or or several hours before, do you still play 4 hour or do you just play from 7pm to 10pm? If for a shorter period because of lateness, do you charge the same? Do you charge for no shows?

There was one instance where I had to miss a schedule session with less than 24-hours notice.. The DM didn't have a clear policy on no-shows, and payment method was to be discussed at the session. I just e-mailed him to say I couldn't make it and sent the amount for the session by Pay Pal. I don't feel right asking for refunds, prorating for fewer hours and missed session, or a credit for a future sessions. I can imagine that when you are starting out, one is much more willing to accommodate to build clientele and avoid bad ratings. But I imagine that even well established folks will find themselves being more flexible than is fair to avoid poor ratings.

C One thing that I'm concerned about with Start Playing is that payment is deducted at the start of the session. Maybe I missed something, but it seems that one could cancel up to the last minute. A more mature model is iTalki (a language-tutor platform) which has clear rules and mechanisms for this.

D Yeah, I think a little is a nice touch, but it can be overdone. Besides, most people are coming to play a TTRPG, not a video game, which hopefully keeps expectations reasonable. But as VTTs keep evolving, I fear things will get more like a video game. I wish more effort would go into smoothing things out, improving the GUI, smoothing the automating of area effects, etc. But cool spell animations make for better marketing.

E Let us know what you think of Start Playing. It would be interesting to hear impressions from the other side of the DMs screen.
I'm not sure how to divide your quote up, so I've added letters to reference:

A) Doing it for pay does change the dynamic a bit, and I find myself letting some things slide (etiquette, general leniency) that I wouldn't in normal games from time to time. It does put a degree of pressure on the situation, where as in my home game I might feel comfortable slacking on set up if I have had a busy week that isn't really an option. I also do my best to avoid missing any sessions, in a year and a half of weekly games only two have been called off on my account, one for a power outage during the session and one because I would be out of town.

If my primary income source was large enough that I didn't need/want the security of a separate income stream I could see myself still doing the paid DMing, but I would treat it as more of a gig job, with infrequency instead of a weekly schedule. For clarity: The only reason I started running a second campaign was the need for money, I would have rather become a player a couple of time over before I ran another game just because I don't get to be a player much. I do enjoy the paid games I run, it does change things a bit, but still enjoyable.

B) The normal slot is 9pm EST, it's a standing time and players confirm earlier in the day if they're still good to play, and at the end of each session we confirm the following week is okay. It's not uncommon for one side or the other to run 10-20 minutes late having to deal with kids, I just wait and talk with whoever is on time, or do extra prep if both sides are delayed.

I only charge for games that are attended, if someone pays in advance but then can't make it then the payment is just counted for the next session. When one couple cannot attend I simply run a one-shot with the couple that can attend. As the game is not through something like Startplaying, I'm not worried about ratings per se, I am more concerned about my current players remaining invested in the game and wanting to continue. Finding replacement players, that are not problem players, is a task I never enjoy and eats a lot of my time, as I no longer rely on this income (like I did when I started) I'm more flexible with things to keep the ball rolling, I value the income more as a separate income stream should something happen to my primary one (client issues, payment system issues etc. I get paid for the game through Paypal but my freelancing through Wise).

C) I think this is primarily an issue with pick-up games and one shots, and is best avoided by aiming for more players than the minimum. For example, I would consider 4 players a minimum for a paid group (unless the rate was higher), however, I would aim for five players as an ideal and be open to six. This is not a greed thing (mo' players, mo' money), but more about making sure that the game continues should one or two drop out or become flakey. I do see some games listed as up to 7 or 8 players and think that is purely extortionate, but that is because I don't believe you can reasonably deliver value to each player when the table gets too big.

D) I can only speak to Roll20 (I didn't like the look of Fantasy Grounds, and don't like the idea or business model of Foundry), there is wide scope for automating things through the API, such as automatically applying AOE damage and what not. It requires a lot more work for the DM and is something I'm learning slowly. The platform does improve incrementally, with dark mode and short rest/long rest automation being recent additions. The FX are just a fun aside really, maps are essential IMO for combat, even if it's just a white grid with some terrain hashed out with the drawing features.

E) I definitely will keep you all updated, when I get around to setting up my account properly there I think I'll be using it primarily for my arena-style games, the hard part is valuing myself enough to charge reasonable rates.

MNblockhead

For in-person games the rates seem set by Start Playing. They offer live games in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, and Chicago. Prices are the same for all cities, at least as of this posting. Not exactly sure how it works. You don't choose a DM, you submit a form and, I assume, a DM can claim it. Or maybe several DMs will make a pitch. I don't know. It doesn't explain the process. I don't see myself using this platform for in-person games when it doesn't even explain how it works and if I can't select the DM.

Rates are per session.

One Shots
$100

A one-time adventure for birthday parties, game nights, and other special events.
3 Hour Play Session (so $33/hour to the DM)
Great for learning to play.
Great for groups of any size. (ANY size!?)

Campaigns
$120

A reoccurring adventure for you and your friends
3 hour play session weekly/bi-weekly or monthly ($40/hour)
Great for ongoing adventures
Play an adventure created just for you
Enjoy a homebrew campaign or an official D&D adventure
Games include miniatures and battlemaps

Team Events
$250

Enjoy an adventure designed for collaboration and bonding
3 hour play session ($82/hour)
Games include miniatures and battlemaps
Accommodates teams of any size (Really?! But at least this clarifies that campaigns have some limit on the number of players, even though they don't specify what that limit is.)

MNblockhead

I tried a paid game in the fall and wasn‘t terribly impressed. Even though more than 1/2 the players were new, the GM spent too long recapping the last session and wasn‘t familiar with some of the basic functions of the VTT. She did have some terrific NPCs, and I appreciated the enthusiasm of the role playing - it was really well done. When it was finished the thought of coming back never crossed my mind.

I'm pretty forgiving. Unfamiliarity with the VTT would be irksome, though tech issues arise even at the most well-prepared for and professional of events. Terrific NPCs? Enthusiastic DM? That would make up for the failings. I would consider using that DM again. If the VTT situation didn't improve, however, it would likely be two strikes and your out.

A GM running a paid game should have a proper (paid) app for voice / chat - period. Discord is ok for a free app but sound quality wise doesn’t compare to teams, zoom, etc.

I like Discord for voice. Hate when developers use it for tech support and hate when it replaces discussion boards, but I like using it for voice in games. It works quite well even when I'm am travelling and in locations with poor bandwidth. I have far few issues with it dropping or breaking up than I do with Microsoft Teams. It integrates with DnD Beyond and some VTTs. It has good support for private chat and voice rooms. I use Zoom, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, and Discord on a weekly basis. I've never found Discord to be worse than the others when it comes to voice quality. I just hate the design aesthetic and all the cute cartoon emojis, but that's probably also why it is popular among gaming groups.

I’m really considering running a game or two to check this out. It would never be my intent to make a living at it 🙄 but if I could make $50/$100 a month to turn around and spend on more gaming stuff - sweet! Curious what hosts cut is.
For the game I tried, the DM's posted rate was $10 for a seat on the session. I was charged another $0.99 on top of that when I bought my spot. The platform's is billed on top of the DMs rate and is charged to the player. It doesn't not come out of what the DM gets (unless they also charge a fee to the DM, I'm unclear exactly how it works, but I would hope they are not billing both the player AND billing the DM).

As a side note, too bad players didn’t have ratings too 😉

Actually, yes, they should. Not public, but it should work something like ride share ratings. DMs should have the ability to decide if they are going to take on a player.

MNblockhead

E) I definitely will keep you all updated, when I get around to setting up my account properly there I think I'll be using it primarily for my arena-style games, the hard part is valuing myself enough to charge reasonable rates.
It looks like Start Playing allows you to cut rates if you are getting close to game day and are not filling sets. If you run a traditional one-shot adventure, it looks like $30 is a sweet spot, cutting down to 15-25 as the day approaches, if needed.

Not sure how your arena games work. If more players you can charge less and still make your hourly target. We 5e, esp. at higher levels, some players can REALLY slow combat down with indecision. In an adventure it is okay, you can give them some time, and politely nudge them if you have to. Other players will usefully put up with a bit of delay on someone's turn. But I would think people would be less patient in an arena game. But again, I'm not sure how your run your arena games. Are they PvP or player group versus NPC challenger group?

DorkForge

Explorer
It looks like Start Playing allows you to cut rates if you are getting close to game day and are not filling sets. If you run a traditional one-shot adventure, it looks like $30 is a sweet spot, cutting down to 15-25 as the day approaches, if needed.

Not sure how your arena games work. If more players you can charge less and still make your hourly target. We 5e, esp. at higher levels, some players can REALLY slow combat down with indecision. In an adventure it is okay, you can give them some time, and politely nudge them if you have to. Other players will usefully put up with a bit of delay on someone's turn. But I would think people would be less patient in an arena game. But again, I'm not sure how your run your arena games. Are they PvP or player group versus NPC challenger group?
My arena games put a group of PCs through combat as basically recommended by the DMG: 2 fights, short rest, 2 fights, short rest, one big fight or two larger ones. If they survive the arena then they qualify for choosing magic items for the next arena and level up for it should they want to continue. Eventually they could end up in a 20th level arena in theory.
I've charged $10 a seat for this in the past and it really allows players that enjoy combat to have some fun, or some players to stress test certain builds they're interested in.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Hmm. For me I've always understood "professional" to mean getting paid. Just because you are paid doesn't mean you are excellent. Just good enough for someone to pay you for it. Not being paid doesn't mean you are not excellent. E.g., Olympic athletes.

I think we are agreeing. I always thought "professional" just meant you are getting paid, and that any meaning that involves a standard of excellence is colloquial.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads