Program/tool to get an offline copy of a forum post

FoxWander

Adventurer
I'm looking to find a program/tool/utility that can let me download/save offline copies of forum posts.

There are many posts here I'd like to have available offline as well as several at the WOTC site I'd like to save also. I know there are options like bringing up the printable version to copy/paste into a word doc but that screws up the familiar formatting. I can also just click on File and save the page, but then I have to save each page of a multi-page thread individually, then open and close files to go from page to page. I was hoping there might be something which can make the process easier and get a more useful file out of the it- something that retains the forum formatting as well. Ideally I'd like to save an entire post (or whatever I want of it) exactly as it appears in the forum as a single file AND be able to cut out extraneous page elements (like ads and site links) just keeping the info in the post.

I realize I'm hoping for a lot- and it's probably something which doesn't exist, but perhaps there's a combination of tools or firefox add-ins that can make it work. If anyone can point to something that can do all this, or has a process to do it, I would be very thankful.

Finally, the reason I ask. Obviously there's a ton of useful info here that could be nice to have available without a web connection. But on a more lasting note, if this server were to die (or get reformatted or upgraded) a lot of good stuff could be lost forever. That almost happened here once but at WOTC, ever since the forum "upgrades," a TON of useful, informative posts are gone for good. Their character optimization forums may be a crazy land of munchkinry run amok, but the class handbooks and similar threads were full of solid, useful and mostly non-insane advice. There used to be a thread that compiled all the most useful links but now it's a wasteland of broken links cause those posts are just gone. Now that I have plenty of home-server space (with backups) I'd like to save all the stuff online that I use over and over again. And something that can save a thread in an easy to use format is the first step. Hopefully someone can point me to an easy (or at least somewhat easy) way to do that.

Janx

Hero
this may work, in IE,

Browse to the thread you want
goto File->Save As

Choose the file type "Web archive, single file"

In the past, it recursed all the sub links, effectively saving a mini-site.

Thus, since the subsequent pages are present, you get those as well.

Naturally, you're mileage will vary.

You're only other choice is to goto the database for the forum, and generate a report. Not possible as a non-admin of the forum unless the admin exposes that report. That report probably doesn't exist by default.

Alan Shutko

Explorer
I do that on a Mac, using a program called DEVONthink. It allows me to save web archives, or as PDFs, and store it in a DB. It also lets me do full-text searches. Maybe MS OneNote can do something similar? I often see the two apps compared.

Other tips, applicable to a lot of situations: if you go to the printable view, you can save an HTML and it'll save most of it. You could print to a PDF (which is built-in on Mac, or download CutePDF Writer on Windows).

Thanee

First Post
Teleport Pro is a Windows program to save entire websites (or substructures thereof).

Of course, it's a wee bit more than what you are looking for. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases