Level Up (A5E) (+) Project Chronicle: Heritage and Culture

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Was the Flower a human before their apotheosis?
That's my current plan, yes.
@Steampunkette did you intend to tag this Level Up?
I did. I intend to design this setting for use with LevelUp/A5e. With the Journey System taking on a prominent role in narrative and great distances between the various city-states of the setting.
My assumption would be that the depiction of the Flower varies based on the worshipping culture, but that's just a guess. What the Flower actually was is almost certainly lost to myth.
That is definitely another good direction to take it, yeah. Have people -think- she was human, but members of different sects putting their own specific identity into it to create a deity of many forms.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Oh... I see... The first Project Chronicle thread, Deities, got changed from LevelUp to D&D General... huh.

Okay. I can just do it as 5e, instead, if LevelUp is meant to be something more specific, @Morrus. I didn't know.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh... I see... The first Project Chronicle thread, Deities, got changed from LevelUp to D&D General... huh.

Okay. I can just do it as 5e, instead, if LevelUp is meant to be something more specific, @Morrus. I didn't know.
No it’s fine. I just thought you’d tagged it wrong by mistake. If you meant to, go right ahead!

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Naga:

Age. Like humans, naga reach adulthood in their late teens. They show no signs of aging beyond that point except for growing larger, so in theory, a naga could live well over a century.
Alignment. Most naga are either neutral or neutral evil in alignment.
Size. Naga stand about 5 feet tall when upright, but the total length of their bodies, head to tail, ranges from 10 to as much as 20 feet. Your size is Medium.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Naga.
Speed: 30 ft.

Speed Burst. By lowering your body to the ground and propelling yourself with your arms, you can move more quickly for a time. When you move on your turn in combat, you can double your speed until the end of the turn. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you move 0 feet on one of your turns.

Poison Immunity. You are immune to poison damage and can't be poisoned.

Concoction Affinity. You gain proficiency with your choice alchemist's tools or poisoner's kit.

Soul of Thousand Lifetimes. At 3rd level, choose one of the Soul Exaltation:

Coatl Exaltation: you can use your action to unleash the sacred energy within yourself, causing your eyes to glimmer and two luminous, incorporeal wings to sprout from your back.
Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, you have a flying speed of 30 feet, and once on each of your turns, you can deal extra radiant damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra radiant damage equals your level.

Rakshasa Exaltation: You can use your action to unleash the unholy energy within yourself, causing your eyes to turn into pools of darkness and two skeletal, ghostly, flightless wings to sprout from your back. The instant you transform, other creatures within 10 feet of you that can see you must succeed on a Charisma saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier) or become frightened of you until the end of your next turn.
Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, once on each of your turns, you can deal extra necrotic damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra necrotic damage equals your level.

Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Steampunkette

Supporter
I like where you're going with the Naga, more or less, Vince, but the heritages are meant to be a bit on the barebones side so the Culture can carry a lot of weight on it's own. I'm also definitely not going to proscribe alignments for this one.

Naga
Age: Naga age similarly to humans, but their aging slows dramatically once they reach adulthood. They're known to reach 160 years at the extreme, though most perish between 140 and 150 if accident or malice do not take them sooner.
Size: Naga are between 8 and 10 feet in length, though the vast majority are 9 feet long. Their slender but muscular bodies keep them fairly light, comparatively, and they typically weigh only around 400lbs. Your size is Medium.
Speed: Naga slither at 40ft per round. However they are incapable of making a standing high jump. Instead, they may extend their upper body up to a height of 7ft, allowing them to reach upward much more effectively than most peoples.
Poison Resistance: Naga are quite resilient against poisons of most kinds and take half damage from any poison they are exposed to.

Serpent Strike: Naga can take the Dash action as a Bonus action.

And then the rest of their traits, languages, skills, kits, etc, are determined by the culture they're from.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I like where you're going with the Naga, more or less, Vince, but the heritages are meant to be a bit on the barebones side so the Culture can carry a lot of weight on it's own. I'm also definitely not going to proscribe alignments for this one.

Naga
Age: Naga age similarly to humans, but their aging slows dramatically once they reach adulthood. They're known to reach 160 years at the extreme, though most perish between 140 and 150 if accident or malice do not take them sooner.
Size: Naga are between 8 and 10 feet in length, though the vast majority are 9 feet long. Their slender but muscular bodies keep them fairly light, comparatively, and they typically weigh only around 400lbs. Your size is Medium.
Speed: Naga slither at 40ft per round. However they are incapable of making a standing high jump. Instead, they may extend their upper body up to a height of 7ft, allowing them to reach upward much more effectively than most peoples.
Poison Resistance: Naga are quite resilient against poisons of most kinds and take half damage from any poison they are exposed to.

Serpent Strike: Naga can take the Dash action as a Bonus action.

And then the rest of their traits, languages, skills, kits, etc, are determined by the culture they're from.
Yeah sorry, I did not see initially that it was for Level Up, I thought it was for use with an OSR-lite 5e from that other thread (T5R) :p

Did you skip the term ''Resistance'' on purpose for their poison resistance? I dont remember if L-U still use Resistance/Vulnerability or went with something more granular. Either way, I think they should also have something like Advantage on save to resist the poisoned condition.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Yeah sorry, I did not see initially that it was for Level Up, I thought it was for use with an OSR-lite 5e from that other thread (T5R) :p

Did you skip the term ''Resistance'' on purpose for their poison resistance? I dont remember if L-U still use Resistance/Vulnerability or went with something more granular. Either way, I think they should also have something like Advantage on save to resist the poisoned condition.
LevelUp does use Resistance as half damage. I called it "Poison Resistance" as a trait and then explained what it did. I did, however, leave out the advantage on saves against poisons for a reason. I want the use of poison to still be interesting and effective, particularly for things like knock-out gasses, drugged food, and similar effects.

Many know the legend of the Great Bull Ukada, Brother of Night, Wallcrusher. It is a noble tale of struggle and triumph, of understanding and growth, and it is the story of the Minotaur people. Powerful and bestial, but just as swift to sophistication and delicateness. The great minotaur people of Musarra stand head and shoulders above the tallest of humans, between seven and eight feet in height. Their build is often broad, with thick corded muscles and heavy legs that end in heavy hooves that clop and clatter upon stone and sand. Their heads are similar to those of bulls, with wide-set eyes and a short muzzle-like mouth bearing a broad nose on top. But those small eyes glean with intellect far beyond a simple bovine. Horns are present in all minotaurs, but tend to be short and forward-angled, though among tribal minotaurs longer and wider set horns are more common. Short and soft fur covers a minotaur's head and neck, shoulders and back, the back of the arm and hand, and joins with the fur of the waist and legs to give them a fairly bestial cast to their features, but hair also grows from their head, often in a mane-like fashion similar to a horse. They do have a short tail tipped with a small tuft of fur, but it is largely useless.

Minotaur tend to wear clothing that is multipurposed, and favor leather and rugged woven fabrics. Pockets are quite common, as are belts and pouches, or sacks of various sizes. No armored minotaur is complete without a helmet fashioned to allow their horns freedom, to protect their hard heads during a charge.

-The Chronicler-

Minotaurs
Minotaurs age more swiftly than humans, reaching full height and physical maturity around 15 years of age. Though most societies hold fully grown minotaurs to be youths until they reach the local age of adulthood, tribal minotaurs recognize their children as adults at 15. The maximum age of a minotaur is around 100 years.
Size: Minotaurs stand between 7ft and 8ft tall, not including their horns, and often weigh in excess of 500lbs. Your size is Medium.
Speed: Minotaurs move at 35ft per round.
Bullish Charge: A minotaur who moves at least 20ft before reaching their target may make a bonus action headbutt attack. This attack deals either Bludgeoning or Piercing damage, your choice when you make the attack, and deals 1d4 plus Strength Modifier damage on a successful hit. You may then continue your movement, and force your target to move with you until the end of your movement.
Powerful Build: You are treated as Large sized except for your space and reach.

Last edited:

One spring morning, the Flower ventured into the lair of the Beast. The Flower's path was unfettered because Beast was going to and fro, across the land, searching for those he might devour.

Inside the lair of the Beast were cave walls, covered in crude drawings. Animals of every kind: fauna of the fields, birds of the air, fish of the sea, and the creeping things. Of all these, the Flower was most drawn to the graceful form of the fox.

The Flower placed their palm on the image of the fox, and the icon began to glow. The Flower felt an energy flowing out of their hand, like the breath of life being drawn out of their body. Suddenly, the Flower recoiled as they heard the approach of heavy footfalls. The Beast had returned.

The Flower quickly scurried from the Beast's lair. It was soon discovered that the Flower's actions had consequences. Many of the foxes of land were infused with the essence of the Flower, and forever transformed. These became a new people, known as the Gnomes, and to this very day they honor both the Beast and the Flower as their progenitors.

Remove ads