Level Up (A5E) (+) Project Chronicle: Heritage and Culture

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'll drop this here, I'm not sure where else to put it:

Currency (lesser to highest worth):
Brass Coins
Sandalwood Coins
Orichalcum Coins (standard)
Shamir Gold (rare electrum pieces engraved with the help of acid secreted by extremely rare worms raised and guarded by a dynast's court)

Rare Materials (Masterwork Weapons)
Adamant vs Construct
Celestial Bronze/Primordial Cedar vs Fiend
Quicksilver vs Elemental
Cold Iron (actual iron forged in Frostfyre) vs Fey
Moonstone vs Shapeshifter
Meteoric Iron (aka Sky metal or Thunderbolt metal) vs Celestial
Xirang Clay vs Undeads
Stygian Steel/Sacred Oak vs Aberrant
Imperial Gold vs Monstrosities

Rare Materials, Other
Divine Boar-beast leather
Carcerid chitin (cursed-lobster-folk shells)
Hoard-scale (scales fused with gems and gold from a Great Beast, ala Smaug)
Sequoia-bones
Crag-cat hide
Snail Flail carapace
Adamantoise shell
Apeiron (Liquid Time_

Faolyn

(she/her)
I suddenly remembered that I had done a mothfolk for a setting a friend and I never actually finished, so I'm revamping them.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I really do like the currencies, there, @vincegetorix I was considering using Tokens of value rather than express coins like the Sumerians did before they switched to a material-standard for trade (Silver, specifically, by weight). But it's just SO COMPLEX. A token for a Cow, for example, as opposed to a bolt of cloth or a duck. Because they largely used a barter-system that's how their tokens worked. 16 different "Trade Good" Tokens changing hands, each with their own value.

I might still go for a Silver-Centric setup. If only for the counterfeiting ability... The Sumerians and Akkadians got -inventive-. Everything from altering scales to cutting silver coins with nickel and other shiny metals to make up weight during trade. Part of why so many ancient texts (Hammurabi's Rules, the Torah and it's descendants) all have rules against altering weights and measures.

I had also given thought to a Gemstone based economy. Where small gems like rubies or bloodstones would be a baseline form of currency.
I suddenly remembered that I had done a mothfolk for a setting a friend and I never actually finished, so I'm revamping them.
If you wanna post 'em here I could set them up as the Weaver's children, potentially. Assuming you'd be willing to let me, of course.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

I really do like the currencies, there, @vincegetorix I was considering using Tokens of value rather than express coins like the Sumerians did before they switched to a material-standard for trade (Silver, specifically, by weight). But it's just SO COMPLEX. A token for a Cow, for example, as opposed to a bolt of cloth or a duck. Because they largely used a barter-system that's how their tokens worked. 16 different "Trade Good" Tokens changing hands, each with their own value.

I might still go for a Silver-Centric setup. If only for the counterfeiting ability... The Sumerians and Akkadians got -inventive-. Everything from altering scales to cutting silver coins with nickel and other shiny metals to make up weight during trade. Part of why so many ancient texts (Hammurabi's Rules, the Torah and it's descendants) all have rules against altering weights and measures.

I had also given thought to a Gemstone based economy. Where small gems like rubies or bloodstones would be a baseline form of currency.

If you wanna post 'em here I could set them up as the Weaver's children, potentially. Assuming you'd be willing to let me, of course.
Agreed. Btw, I love the term Token instead of coin. Sounds different. I love different.
That's why I like to go with a mix of metal, gems and rare woods, instead of just metal.

Could go with with a Rare material tokens and their Gem equivalent. To be considered equivalent to a token, gems must be either the size of a sparrow's egg, or the equivalent of a Yuspa cup-full ( very small drinking vessel for fortified tea enjoyed by ladies and lords) of crushed gems powder shaped in a token or ball with Varuun resin.

Brass (.1 silver)
Amaranth wood (0.5 silver)
Silver
Sandalwood (5 silver)
Orichalcum (10 silver)
Agar wood (50 silver)
Nacre (100 silver)
Agathe (.1 silver)
Aquamarine(0.5 silver)
Tourmaline
Pearl (5 silver)
Jade (10 silver)
Opal (50 silver)
Diamond(100 silver)

Steampunkette

Supporter
@vincegetorix I was thinking by weight for the Gemstones... Like a fistful of red garnet weighs x amount and is worth that much.

Though -that- is an interesting angle to take it. Different cultures using different standards. Not enough to displace currency (A silver piece spends in Ellenici as well as it does in Il'sha-ah) but you'll be paid in Rubies in Achelb, Silver coins in Il'sha-ah, and salt in Ellenici. All interchangeable values in any society... just different.

Faolyn

(she/her)
When I finish redesigning and redrawing them, sure. Although it was a weird setting and probably not quite what you had them in mind.

Tales and Chronicles

Just a thought I had just now:
- What about Mammoth folk (big, wooly elephant-ish guys) instead of Minotaur? Mammotaur?

Use the same lore, they build gigantic maze to protect their cemetery where all their tribe goes to die. A Mammotaur can instinctively find the center of its tribe's maze.

Steampunkette

Supporter
While I recognize the impetus, there, Vince, I think I'll stick with Minotaurs. They're a tried and true option with lots of great art out in the world for players to base characters on. There's also a certain amount of presumed visceral -power- in bulls (largely because of western culture's ascribing power and virility to bulls due to their aggressive tendencies) that plays well into the "Sending a beast to destroy a city" where Mammoths are generally not considered much of anything, but elephants are familial, thoughtful, and playful in the current cultural headspace.

It's also easier to pun-run on Minotaurs because they're so bull-headed and have to hoof it everywhere...

niklinna

satisfied?
Giantkin I'm not so sure of. My initial choice of Human from the Mountain was that humans -are- a free people. The Mountain doesn't give two flying frog farts about anyone or anything, so humans would be just another thing he created and discarded. Ignored forevermore beyond that. But if we go with the humans as free peoples thing, the Mountain may not have a people at -all-. More interested in stone.
Yes my first impression reading the original list was, "Oh, humans, created and cast adrift by an uncaring parent".

Remove ads