Proposal: Great Halberd, New Superior Reach Axe

CaBaNa

First Post
Well, if it keeps going in that direction, I'll be jealous Kamotz isn't over on this side! ;)

The weapon isn't anything over the top, I agree.

and considering there are no new mundane weapons in AV2, this isn't overkill to add.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Here's my concern: I think it might make the other superior reach weapons obsolete. As things stand, it appears that +1 to hit is balanced against a greater damage die. This weapon looks better than a great spear, since you're giving up +1 to hit for a larger damage die and high crit.

I'm probably just going to mull for several more hours and then approve it. And then I'm going to start thinking about creating a dwarf warden with reach.

ryryguy

First Post
This weapon looks better than a great spear, since you're giving up +1 to hit for a larger damage die and high crit.

That's basically it, unless the greatspear has some advantage as far as weapon groups go, for spear over axe. (I'm not good at evaluating that.)

Compare to the executioner's axe: it's the same except Brutal 2 is traded for Reach. It seems more balanced based on that comparison, although there's some indications (plus my intuition) that Reach may be the top weapon quality, and maybe shouldn't be traded for others on a one-for-one basis.

I do agree that it doesn't seem horribly broken by any means. Maybe just slightly overpowered. Or maybe it's just that the greatspear is underpowered? Perhaps the designers overvalue reach?

CaBaNa

First Post
Reach isn't threatening, Brutal 2 is always Brutal 2, Reach also isn't useful if you want to flank for CA.

I think defensive is the top weapon quality...

garyh

First Post
+1 proficiency would be too big of a nerf, imo.

How about high cit and 1d11? :devil:

Invisible Castle can handle a d11. :)

Example (1d11=11)

And yeah, +1 prof is a darn big nerf.

If it helps to see why I'm even interested in a reach weapon, it's so that I can use Divine Challenge on a target, then keep engaging them while also applying Divine Sanction on any target I can reach. If I wasn't going to do that, I'd use the same picture and call it an executioner's axe. :)

ukingsken

First Post
Hmmmm I am as of yet unswayed but listing strongly to the yes just because even if it were a little brokn I dont think its enough to matter.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases