Proposal: Great Scythe

elecgraystone

First Post
You are correct covaithe, the only two handed defensive weapon possible are double weapons since the requirement for defensive is you have a weapon in both hands which the double weapon feature does. However a double weapon isn't a true 2 handed weapon; for example, a fighter with the weapon talent in 2 handed weapons doesn't get the bonus with a double weapon.

Ozymandias79

First Post
Lauto/Hadeys is the god of the DEAD (and the underworld and is he one judges who goes to Thartari or to Elysia), not the god of death. The lesser god of Death serves under L/H. I see someone has mixed up the two concepts on this page of the wiki(I took the liberty of fixing it) but nowhere on this page does it say that lauto/Hadeys is the god of death and he shouldn't be

second: The scythe isn't associated with Lauto/Hadeys, but with the goddess of harvest IE Proserphones/Peresefa. My choice for Lauto/Hadeys weapon would be something with two edges IE a sword, maybe a greatsword or a fullblade as just because he is the one that judges the souls

Ozymandias79

Last edited:

Atanatotatos

First Post
Uhmm... honestly, I think either a Fullblade or an Executioner's Axe are a perfect fit, once reflavored, for this kind of weapon. Also, better mechanically. All defensive weapons are defeinitely not so bent on offense.
It is also way simpler than adding a new weapon... so I vote NO!

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Well, I think Cabana basically just wanted a pseudo-Grim Reaper character with Kamotz, using cleric as a base, so he picked the most appropriate god for such a character - Lauto. Peresefa doesn't really strike me as the kind of goddess who would send her followers out to reap souls, y'know? The "follower of the god of death with a scythe" image is a rather popular one, for obvious reasons. In any case, I don't think there's any reason for us to pick on Cabana's character concept ;)

Back to the topic at hand, I can't really argue with the rules on defensive weapons ... and I have to say it doesn't really make sense to me for a scythe to be defensive. High crit makes much more sense to me, followed by brutal or reach.

If you want to build on the original scythe make sure to remember that the original is a simple weapon, so it would need at least two "upgrades" to put it in superior weapon territory.

ryryguy

First Post
All that about no defensive 2H weapons makes sense... however... it seems like CaBaNa mainly wants a defensive weapon.

He mentioned before that he'd be happy to use an urgrosh, if they weren't banned. The urgrosh is superior, +2 proficiency, 1d12 on the main side, plus defensive on the off-hand side. Compared to his original proposal, that's +1 lower proficiency, and axe instead of heavy blade (but everyone seems to agree that's no problem to handwave along with reskinning it as a scythe).

Now, it's technically not two handed, which would make a difference for some characters (like barbarians), but for Kamotz I doubt it makes a difference. It's effectively two-handed in that you can't wield it and also a shield or something else in the off hand.

And... I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, just that it seems like what he's asking for is not really all that outrageous. If the urgrosh weren't banned, and he could reskin it, he'd basically be there. I guess to go with Waraxe/Parrying Dagger, he'd need two feats. At that point he might as well go Waraxe/Shield. Was the point of banning the urgrosh and other double weapons that you got too much for one feat?

JoeNotCharles

First Post
As written, the Urgrosh is defensive on BOTH sides, even though only one end of it is a "defensive" weapon. It was just easier to ban them than figure out all the ramifications of things like that and decide what the best fix is.

We can revisit that decision if anyone makes a proposal. (It's been 3 months since AV was approved, right?)

CaBaNa

First Post
This doesn't look like it is going to pass, thanks for the input from everyone!

Tomorrow, I'm checking when AV was approved and possibly submitting something to deal with double weapons.

Currently, no two handed weapon has the defensive property...

Until then, I think Fullblade will have to do...

Remove ads