Proposal: Weapon Expertise Trainers

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Yeah, for some characters the justification for taking the feat would be, "I've been using this same weapon for five levels, I've gotten pretty good with it now." As an option, sure, but I don't think we should make it mandatory.

Fragsie

Explorer
I like this, IMO the more things in this setting that reinforce the RP the better. Though I also agree that it should be optional; as others have said; with some characters the idea of a master/trainer just doesn't fit.

For training in wizards implements i suggest using the NPC Doddoddod; could make for some amusing training scenes!

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
In Larinza's case her trainer would logically be her grnadfather and I'm sure if she has the chance she'll travel to train with him, I can't see him charging her.

I'm sure he would be willing to train other's as well.

covaithe

Explorer
For training in wizards implements i suggest using the NPC Doddoddod; could make for some amusing training scenes!

Doddoddod is probably not a great candidate for one of these trainers, both for in game and out of game reasons. Out of game, he's a major part of a PC's backstory, and it's best not to touch that too much without buy-in from the player. In-game... well, I'll let KenHood elaborate if he wants.

KenHood

First Post
Yeah...

Your character would end up with penalties instead of bonuses.

He's that awful.

But Dod*3 would probably end up having you build a new addition to his tower, so everybody (except your character) wins!

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Voting NO to this. Trainers sound like a cool thing to RP, but how exactly to tie the mechanics to the training should be the players' choice instead of dictated by the setting.

Fragsie

Explorer
Voting NO to this. Trainers sound like a cool thing to RP, but how exactly to tie the mechanics to the training should be the players' choice instead of dictated by the setting.

I think if this idea is kept quite loose, there would be no dictation; the player could simply write up a short story about how they gained their focus feat/static +1, be it with the setting's suggested NPCs or with something of their own imagining that's more inline with their character concept. This also stops this from becoming an addition to the judge's workload. We'd end up with a cool collection of short action scenes; i'd love to see the different insights into peoples characters we'd see.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I think if this idea is kept quite loose, there would be no dictation; the player could simply write up a short story about how they gained their focus feat/static +1, be it with the setting's suggested NPCs or with something of their own imagining that's more inline with their character concept. This also stops this from becoming an addition to the judge's workload. We'd end up with a cool collection of short action scenes; i'd love to see the different insights into peoples characters we'd see.
Yes - that's fine. In fact, I'd like to see that. But I'd rather it wasn't compulsory. I'm not going to sit here and say, "You must write a story to get your cookie." Too much work ;)

So, while I like the idea (and might use it if I were DMing a more traditional game), I'm going to vote NO as well.

Remove ads