D&D 5E Protecting Spellbooks

mcbobbo

Explorer
I would also fix it via house rule. Allow Wizards to cast it on their own books only, due to special training and lesser attunement to the book.

Lerysh

First Post
To quote a well known meme, "Screw the rules, I have money". If you want wizard spell books to be dangerous in your games, go ahead and allow glyph of warding to work on them, reguardless of their mobile nature. If wizards start using that power to say hey look over here at the explodey book, then have it malfunction and destroy some spellbook pages or something.

The key is to make the rules and the game work the way YOU want them to, don't get bogged down in RAW. Make sure it works that way for PCs as well tho, if you have a wizard in the party, he can trap his spellbook as well.

Gadget

Adventurer
I agree with the many others: adapt the rule to suit your game. One caveat with the spell as written, they were probably trying to head off abuse of carrying around some object with a Glyph on it and tossing it in front of opponents. If DMs are judicious in application of the rules, I don't see a problem in adapting the rules to cover spell books.

Joe Liker

First Post
A higher level mage would probably keep his book in a Leomund's Check (or whatever they call that spell in 5e). Only available if you speak the password, which they won't get if he/shes dead.
You've just traded one problem for another. Now the wizard has to worry about someone stealing the focus and holding it for ransom.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I have a feeling that DMG will give example traps. I would just make it up until then. If a door, lock or circle drawn on the ground can be magically trapped, I don't see any problem trapping a spell book.

Many years ago (over 30 now) I played a wizard/Druid in a 1e campaign. Eventually the DM let him cast contingency spells on his spell book. He made it so that anyone else who took hold of the book would be subject to a flesh to stone spell, and the book would then teleport back to my PC if he were still alive. This wizard's name was Lord Neechen.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases