D&D 5E Psionicist class ideas based on the Psi Die from Tasha's

Make a full Psionicist?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Psychic Chiurgeon complete. They start out with Medicine Expertise and a Bonus Talent that allows them to stabilize to start and add healing based on what dice use to empower it. d4 gets your Intelligence Modifier applied as healing with Cantrip Scaling (So max of using a d4 to make it do 20 points of healing at 15+, or 5 healing if you're under level 5), d6 adds 1d6 per tier (Max 4d6+20) and then d8s make it also remove Exhaustion, Poison, or Disease (and do up to 4d8+20 healing)

At 3rd level they get the ability to alter themselves and others for anywhere from 10 minutes to 8 hours, depending on the adaptation. Int mod uses per short rest. Nothing Combat-Based.

At 6th level their ability to alter themselves or others increases with combat-functions. Elemental Resistance, Combat-Claws, AC improvement.

At 9th level they gain the ability to Expend one of their Psi Dice to grant people nearby extra Hit Dice during a short rest.

At 13th level they start doing Maladaptive Alterations which allows them to modify enemies with weird effects like explosively growing hair, a fishtail, or making their eyelids or lips fuse.

Finally, at 15th level, they gain the ability to Sacrifice a Psionic Dice as an action to allow several people to benefit from a Short Rest in the middle of combat, including spending Hit Dice.

Steampunkette

Supporter
No you just need to create a LU version of it.
Still got a LONG way to go. Made up the Psychic Warrior, though: The Psionicist Take 2 - The Homebrewery

Also changed the colors and stuff to match a different document that I thought looked -particularly- cool in purple.

At level 1 they get to make Mindblades and Psionic Weapons, and either use Unarmored Defense or Int Mod in place of dex while wearing armor. It -seems- pretty stacked, but really it's not -that- important since the character's almost certainly just going to use one or the other at any given time. Though it's possible to dual-wield a Psionic weapon and a Mind Blade... it's just not that important.

Level 3 gets them the ability to improve their particular combat style. For 1 minute they get to add Int mod to their Mindblade attacks or add some Psychic Damage to their Psionic Weapon.

Level 6 gets them Extra Attack.

9 gives them Intellect Fortress so they can use their Reactions to Expend or Sacrifice dice to improve their AC (Like Shield) their Saving Throws (Like Bless), or negate a Critical hit.

At 13 they get improved smite. Just an extra 1d8 on weapon attacks.

And at 15 they get to do either a PBAoE double-attack or a Line-Teleport double-attack. In either case it's pretty cool, I think...

Time to work on the Shaper. And then? Psionic Quanta and Talents have to be designed. Hoofta! I bit off a big bite, huh?

Faolyn

(she/her)
Time to work on the Shaper. And then? Psionic Quanta and Talents have to be designed. Hoofta! I bit off a big bite, huh?
Considering that if I end up running using it, I might have to create an Artificer in LU style? Oh yeah. (I really wish that LU had included these two classes and not just the warlord.)

Sithlord

Adventurer
I like your idea. I see no reason why it should not work. I would prefer a modification to the first 2E psionics book. I’m against universal mechanics and it would truly feel like it’s own thing rather than similar to the wizard cleric and bard magic.

I like it.
The warlock is the good frame to balance such a class.
You got a relying ability with mindstrike, and some random value power with your psy die.

Steampunkette

Supporter
So I've kinda hit a wall on the final tier of the Shaper design.

Tier 1 allows them to summon up a Psychopomp for a bonus-action attack. Also gives them an alternate use for Mindstrike where it becomes a ranged spell attack instead of a saving throw.

At level 3 they get the ability to summon 5 Nyctomorphs. They're immobile shadow-entities that do nothing but take up a space. Don't move. Don't have an action. However they can take a -Reaction- to make opportunity attacks.

6th level allows you to Mindstrike AoE centered on your Nyctomorph (Nycto takes half damage) or Psychopomp (No damage). It deals Mindstrike damage to all targets within 5 feet unless they make an Int Save.

9th level upgrades their Nyctomorph and their Psychopomp, increasing their hit points by the Shaper's level, rather than half-level.

At 13th level they get Hypnofauna. Anyone that starts their turn next to a Nyctomorph makes a Wisdom save against Fascination or Fear. Failure against Fascination means you can't move away from the Nyctomorph. Failure against Fear means you run directly away from it. Success means you're immune for 24 hours. Every round after the first, people who failed gain advantage to resist it the next time they start next to the Nyctomorph.

But I need a level 15 ability and I'm kinda stumped.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Just looked at Tasha's for a refresher of comparative abilities and they completely altered how Psi Dice work...

Psi Dice in Tasha's don't grow or shrink. You just have 2 times your proficiency bonus in Psi Dice and can roll them indefinitely, only sacrificing them when you specifically choose to to power certain abilities (Usually after you've used it once, already).

... that's... really lame.

Remove ads