Unearthed Arcana Psionics Hits Unearthed Arcana

If you've been waiting anxiously for psionics to arrive in the D&D Unearthed Arcana column, your wait is over! The Awakened Mystic is a psionic class by Mike Mearls which - currently - has access to three psionic disciplines, with more to come later. Following on from Mike Mearls' question, Should Psionic Flavour Be Altered? (a discussion which promoted 750+ comments here on EN World, and is still ongoing), it sounds like he has answered the question with a resounding "yes". Rather than pseudo-scientific sounding terms like telepathy, clairovoyance, and the like, we have the disciplines Conquering Mind, Intellect Fortress (a callback to earlier editions), and Third Eye.

If you've been waiting anxiously for psionics to arrive in the D&D Unearthed Arcana column, your wait is over! The Awakened Mystic is a psionic class by Mike Mearls which - currently - has access to three psionic disciplines, with more to come later. Following on from Mike Mearls' question, Should Psionic Flavour Be Altered? (a discussion which promoted 750+ comments here on EN World, and is still ongoing), it sounds like he has answered the question with a resounding "yes". Rather than pseudo-scientific sounding terms like telepathy, clairovoyance, and the like, we have the disciplines Conquering Mind, Intellect Fortress (a callback to earlier editions), and Third Eye.

UPDATE - IMPORTANT NOTE FROM MIKE MEARLS: "For folks looking at the psionics material in today's UA, looks like there was a minor error. Not all the material is there." Keep an eye on it; I expect it'll be fixed soon.

UPDATE 2 - fixed! Updated document includes another three disciplines (Celerity, Iron Durability, and Psionic Weapon) and the basic rules to the class.

Find it here!

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
In a previous campaign of mine, the two "natural" forms of magic, which existed before the discovery of the Planes, were Druidic magic and Psionics.

Druidic magic came from life itself and/or the Fey -- it was never known for sure, since "life itself" wasn't available for comment, and the Fey were not considered trustworthy.

Warlocks were the original form of Arcane magic. All other forms of Arcane magic came from study of Warlock powers, and refinement of such.

A character couldn't practice Arcane magic unless his or her race already had an Abyssal Menhir established on the Plane of Yawning Portals, Jhaat, the Yawning Chasms Under Pazuzu. Most already did. This was not a particularly good thing -- having an Abyssal Menhir meant every soul in your race was endangered.

Divine magic was a novelty, artificially constructed less than two thousand years ago, and specific to the campaign's main planet. It was pretty effective against the forces of the lower planes. Learning how to replicate the process would have been a major win.

This is neat.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Why does it get heavily into sci-fi? In my time playing DnD I've never once considered it as sci-fi, it doesn't matter that sc-fi is where psi is prevalent, in DnD psionics was always another power source, something which people had to study in order to master it, much like magic. Having psionics be an internally generated source just puts me in mind of monks and, to a lesser extent, sorcerers (I know they are drawing on an external source but it is with an internal natural ability).

Psionics gets heavily psi fi when you either don't explain away the "crazy" or you leave in a lot of science in what you do explain.

That's why it stays primarily fantasy when you make psions into mystics and monks or have a connection to aberrations or special rocks. But if you say practice ally nothing and spit out ego whips and autohypnosis... the genres blur too much.

Its why sorcerers work fine as bloodlines and accidents. Because if there was mention of genetics then you have elves scribing books on dragon DNA to be arcanists and polymorph starts down a crazy road.

I guess there must be different fundamental views on psionics, because when I think of that, I think of The Matrix or X-Men: psionics is reality, but of the kind that few really get. It might be the next step in evolution, like handling tools, walking upright or speaking. There was a time where nobody knew those were even possible, but a few scattered individual started doing just that... Or a potential everyone has but is somehow 'hidden' until casually discovered or properly taught (like a lot of things). That's the flavor that psionics always had for me (and perhaps even the reason why in general it never totally fit into my favourite D&D): not alien, not unnatural, not supernatural, but pretty much 100% natural!
I may be misinterpreting, but I think that your and Minigiant's perspectives are not fundamentally different, but actually compatible within the same universe. Consider this:

Mages say that they are harnessing the fundamental forces of reality, learning and leveraging its rules, while psions have an alien and rule-breaking power from somewhere outside reality.

Psions say that the reality the mages perceive is mere illusion, and their power comes from their understanding the true reality that the mages wrongly dismiss as alien but that actually lies beneath everything.

And fighters say will you two please knock it off, it's been a long day and the rest of the party is trying to sleep, I'll hog-tie you both to an ankheg, see if I don't.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I may be misinterpreting, but I think that your and Minigiant's perspectives are not fundamentally different, but actually compatible within the same universe. Consider this:

Mages say that they are harnessing the fundamental forces of reality, learning and leveraging its rules, while psions have an alien and rule-breaking power from somewhere outside reality.

Psions say that the reality the mages perceive is mere illusion, and their power comes from their understanding the true reality that the mages wrongly dismiss as alien but that actually lies beneath everything.

And fighters say will you two please knock it off, it's been a long day and the rest of the party is trying to sleep, I'll hog-tie you both to an ankheg, see if I don't.

That's my friend's setting. Priests, mages, psions, and scientists all think the others' "magic" are wrong in theory, dangerous, and are all flukes and repeatable accidents.

I guess I just don't need to explain away psionic characters in a fantasy game with science, I also don't need to explain away the crazy. I can easily say that through dedication a character has unlocked psionic power, I don't need to mention anything about genetics to state that only certain individuals get to tap into psionic power. I also don't need the far realm as a source for psionics. All psionics is, when you get right down to it, is another power source in DnD, sci-fi or the far realm need not enter the equation at all. Instead I can have monasteries with ascetics harnessing their mental powers or hermits meditating in remote retreats unlocking the power of their mind.

Indeed. You need not use science or the Far Realm to enter psionics. My setting doesn't use them either.

The issue is D&D traditionally did. It filled Psionics with science speak and/or involved the Far Realm. It also locked away many other options with its other flavor. And psioinics in D&D is still suffering for its history.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Vargas

Legend
The 'science speak' afflicting psionics was there in the names of the abilities and the way they were described. You had allusions to Frued in a lot of 'em, for instance. You had an attack described as "a massive assault on every synapse of the brain" - synapses, the microscopic gaps between the fibers of connected nerve cells, not being terribly medieval-fantasy in feel.

Now, D&D was guilty of that kind of thing in more than just psionics. You had a spell that conjures a ball of 'Absolute 0 matter,' for instance. You had all kinds of kinds of anachronisms, from the humorous to the blatant to the trivial. You had rules in the DMG explaining how a spells interacted with ray guns. The earliest D&D published adventure, The Temple of the Frog, in Blackmoor, included, among many other things, a 'boss,' who happened to be a corrupt alien anthropologist in powered armor. No, really.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I don't fully comprehend the idea that psionics are too "science fiction" because I tend do dislike mental powers in my science fiction. They too fantasy.

I like how the article actually distinguishes between magic and psionics. While I'm fine with having them be the same thing (and I wrote a long post about why distinctions are difficult on another thread), I actually think they managed to pull it off in a satisfying way.

In 5e D&D, this is how magic is described:

"The worlds within the D&D multiverse are magical places. All existence is suffused with magical power, and potential energy lies untapped in every rock, stream, and living creature, and even in the air itself. Raw magic is the stuff of creation, the mute and mindless will of existence, permeating every bit of matter and present in every manifestation of energy throughout the multiverse.

Mortals can’t directly shape this raw magic. Instead, they make use of a fabric of magic, a kind of interface between the will of a spellcaster and the stuff of raw magic...(Setting specific example)...

[W]ithout the [interface], raw magic is locked away and inaccessible; the most powerful archmage can’t light a candle with magic in an area where the [fabric] has been torn. But surrounded by the [interface], a spellcaster can shape lightning to blast foes, transport hundreds of miles in the blink of an eye, or even reverse death itself.

All magic depends on the [interface], though different kinds of magic access it in a variety of ways. The spells of wizards, warlocks, sorcerers, and bards are commonly called arcane magic. These spells rely on an understanding—learned or intuitive—of the workings of the [interface]. The caster plucks directly at the strands of the [fabric] to create the desired effect. Eldritch knights and arcane tricksters also use arcane magic. The spells of clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers are called divine magic. These spellcasters’ access to the [interface] is mediated by divine power—gods, the divine forces of nature, or the sacred weight of a paladin’s oath.

Whenever a magic effect is created, the threads of the [fabric] intertwine, twist, and fold to make the effect possible. When characters use divination spells such as detect magic or identify, they glimpse the [fabric]. A spell such as dispel magic smooths the [fabric]. Spells such as antimagic field rearrange the [fabric] so that magic flows around, rather than through, the area affected by the spell. And in places where the [fabric] is damaged or torn, magic works in unpredictable ways—or not at all."

We have a clear official description of 5e magic that includes 2 elements. Raw magic infuses everything in the multiverse, and (apparently) all access to it is mediated by an interface. Presumably this extends to a monk's ki, since it is explicitly connected to raw magic in the class description.

Now, here is how psionics is currently described.

"Psionics is a source of power that originates from within a creature’s mind, allowing it to augment its physical abilities and affect the minds of other creatures. Psionic abilities are called disciplines, since each one consists of a set of specific, rigid mental exercises needed to place a creature in the correct mindset to wield psionic power. A creature wielding psionic power focuses its concentration on a discipline, and in doing so, manifests a minor psionic effect. Once a creature has concentrated on a discipline, it can then tap into its reservoir of inner energy to create even greater effects. The basics of a discipline are always within a mystic’s grasp, but the energies needed to create more potent effects tap into a limited reservoir of power.

(Skip unnecessary Far Realms concept-pollution)

ndividual minds can be awakened to the cosmic underpinnings that dictate the form and nature of reality...(Far Realms concept-pollution)...Such awakened creatures look upon the world in the same way that creatures existing in three dimensions might look upon a two-dimensional realm. They see possibilities, options, and connections that are unfathomable to those with a more limited view of reality.

In worlds that are relatively stable and hew close to the archetypal D&D setting presented in the core rulebooks, psionics is rare—or might not exist at all. The cosmic bindings that define the multiverse are strong in such places, making it unlikely that an individual mind can perceive the possibilities offered by psionics. Mystics in such worlds might be so scarce that an active mystic never meets another living practitioner of the psionic arts. Characters might unlock their psionic potential by pure random chance, and ancient tomes, journals, and other accounts of mystics might serve as the only guide to mastering this form of power.

Psionics is more common in worlds where the bounds of reality have been twisted and warped to stray far from the baseline D&D setting. The realm of Athas in the Dark Sun campaign setting is the iconic example of a world where psionics is common. The gods are absent, magic has been twisted into an ecological scourge, and the common threads that bind many worlds of D&D have been sundered. By contrast, the world of Eberron is a setting where the bounds of reality have been tested but not fully broken. Psionics is not as pervasive in Eberron as in Athas, but the influence of the otherworldly realm of Xoriat makes it a known and studied art.

Psionics and magic are two distinct forces. In general, an effect that alters or affects a spell has no effect on a psionic effect. There is one important exception to this rule. A psionic effect that reproduces a spell is treated as magic. A psionic effect reproduces a spell when it allows a psionic creature or character to cast a spell. In this case, psionic energy taps into magic and manipulates it to cast the spell.

For example, the mind flayer as presented in the Monster Manual has the Innate Spellcasting
(Psionics) feature. This feature allows the mind flayer to cast a set of spells using psionic energy. These spells can be countered with dispel magic and similar effects."

So the current play test says that psionics means raising your consciousness above/outside the bounds of the multiverse and then altering the multiverse from that awakened state.

Since magic is explicitly a part of the multiverse, then by bypassing the multiverse and bending reality from outside, you aren't using magic (unless you bend reality in such a way as to specifically bend the magical interface to squeeze a spell out of it).

Personally, I like it. It provides a consistent explanation for both forces and how they differ, and creates a compelling argument for why psionics isn't magic in D&D other than, "because it isn't."

If they simply remove that necessary Far Realms nonsense, and leave it as a setting-specific option (which is exactly how the Weave is described, the Forgotten Realms specific manifestation of the universal magical interface), though I don't personally want it in any published settings, then I think it works very well as a standard D&D view of psionics for 5e.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don't fully comprehend the idea that psionics are too "science fiction" because I tend do dislike mental powers in my science fiction. They too fantasy.

It's not psionics that is too sci fi.
It's D&D psionics that was sci fi.

Like [MENTION=17343]Tony_V[/MENTION]argas said, psionics was described, alluded to, and named after Freudian terms and other late 1800s, early 1900s psychoanalysis and mental science talk since 1st edition. And when it didn't sound like something Freud, Jung, or Breuer wrote....
....it's all squidface monsters, twisted aliens, aberrations, and the Far Realm.

When D&D moved away from random monsters being possible aliens or time travellers in power armor or armed with ray guns, psionics kept the science and squidfaces and felt... off to many fans. This is especially true during the boom of 3rd when most of the hard scifi was pulled out the core.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
It's not psionics that is too sci fi.

It's D&D psionics that was sci fi.

Like [MENTION=17343]Tony_V[/MENTION]argas said, psionics was described, alluded to, and named after Freudian terms and other late 1800s, early 1900s psychoanalysis and mental science talk since 1st edition. And when it didn't sound like something Freud, Jung, or Breuer wrote....

....it's all squidface monsters, twisted aliens, aberrations, and the Far Realm.

When D&D moved away from random monsters being possible aliens or time travellers in power armor or armed with ray guns, psionics kept the science and squidfaces and felt... off to many fans. This is especially true during the boom of 3rd when most of the hard scifi was pulled out the core.

I get that much, though I don't believe you speak for everyone who makes the "too science fiction claim".

Personally, I've always liked that Psions have a better understanding of the world, including things like atoms, energy, and psychology. Heck, I tend to assume that wizards understand these concepts as well. So it never felt it of place.

It is also worth noting that the Freudian terms like Id and Ego are just Latin translations meaning "it" and "I" respectively. He preferred to use the common terms for the concepts.

Remove ads

Remove ads