• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Psionics Hits Unearthed Arcana

If you've been waiting anxiously for psionics to arrive in the D&D Unearthed Arcana column, your wait is over! The Awakened Mystic is a psionic class by Mike Mearls which - currently - has access to three psionic disciplines, with more to come later. Following on from Mike Mearls' question, Should Psionic Flavour Be Altered? (a discussion which promoted 750+ comments here on EN World, and is still ongoing), it sounds like he has answered the question with a resounding "yes". Rather than pseudo-scientific sounding terms like telepathy, clairovoyance, and the like, we have the disciplines Conquering Mind, Intellect Fortress (a callback to earlier editions), and Third Eye.

If you've been waiting anxiously for psionics to arrive in the D&D Unearthed Arcana column, your wait is over! The Awakened Mystic is a psionic class by Mike Mearls which - currently - has access to three psionic disciplines, with more to come later. Following on from Mike Mearls' question, Should Psionic Flavour Be Altered? (a discussion which promoted 750+ comments here on EN World, and is still ongoing), it sounds like he has answered the question with a resounding "yes". Rather than pseudo-scientific sounding terms like telepathy, clairovoyance, and the like, we have the disciplines Conquering Mind, Intellect Fortress (a callback to earlier editions), and Third Eye.

UPDATE - IMPORTANT NOTE FROM MIKE MEARLS: "For folks looking at the psionics material in today's UA, looks like there was a minor error. Not all the material is there." Keep an eye on it; I expect it'll be fixed soon.

UPDATE 2 - fixed! Updated document includes another three disciplines (Celerity, Iron Durability, and Psionic Weapon) and the basic rules to the class.

Find it here!

Wrathamon

Adventurer
"And the name Mystic is still wrong to me. It's a far too generic term for the idea, plus we have good traditional names for this class: Psion or Psionicist."

I like the name Mystic .. it seems to invoke mythology and folklore to me. Psion never sat well with me because it sounds sci-fi imo. I always loved psionics from AD&D... the rare chance to get something cool. Never did the psionic battle stuff because for my little kid brain it was a little confusing, but the other abilities were fun.

Go up into the hills and find the Mystic oracle, there the third eye can help you see what you cannot ... A mystic warrior was known to protect this village from the hordes of piranha bunnies, maybe you can find out what has happened to her before it is too late!

ceejzz

First Post
I think it would be nice if each Discipline had an ability that cost zero power points as well. I'd like to see the number of power points a character has and can spend, plus the number that abilities cost, reduced. Each point should feel significant. At higher levels, I don't want to have do deal with the math of spending lots of power points.

Thus, instead of:

Exacting Query (1)
Occluded Mind (3)
Broken Will (5)

It would be:

Exacting Query (0)
Occluded Mind (1)
Broken Will (2)

actually, the disciplines do grant a bonus simply by concentrating on them. the "conquering mind" discipline, for example, grants you advantage on all charisma checks. i think they did a pretty good job with this.

really looking forward to testing this out sometime soon.

Agamon

Adventurer
Well, I'm happy for the people that like psionics in their D&D. Personally, I'm as excited about this as I would an article on how to convert F.A.T.A.L. to D&D 5e. :p

Looking forward to the August article, it can only go up from here. :)

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
It looks neat and a good start. Would love to see a full 20 level version of this someday. This is my favorite article of Unearthed Arcana so far... I'm a sucker for psionics in my D&D. :D

GobiWon

Explorer
I haven't read the whole thing but does anyone see the broken celerity with a rogue's cunning action and up to five action surges with a wizard. You have intelligence synergy with the awakened mystic and the wizard.

Mirtek

Hero
One thing's for sure, expect the next storyline after the Drizzt fan-wank one to be Cthulhu-esque, Far Realm focused. WotC doesn't release anything unless it has a direct correlation to its storyline concepts. Their attempt to mimic Marvel's shared universe concept with D&D and all.
Yes, but it will happen on a boat that is build by artificers and crewed by minotaurs, since WotC *doesn't* release anything unless it has a direct correlation to its storyline concepts and the last UAs had artificers, minotaurs and the mariner fighting style

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Telepathy (Psychic Mind) needs to use the same targeting as Mind Thrust. Thus it doesnt require the ability to see.

"
As an action, you make a ranged attack against a creature within 120 feet of you. You must be able to perceive the creature, but you do not need to see it.

"

This seems like good standard for all nearby mind-to-mind effects. 120 feet is good. To ‘perceive’ the presence of an other creature is a reasonable requirement, but there are various ways to do this, including Tremorsense.

Obviously telepathy works whether someone turns out the lights or not.

Talath

Explorer
I can't even tell you how happy I am with this implementation! Despite the fact that it presents only 5 levels and half the subclasses, I am all for this implementation of psionics. It really is a work of brilliance.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I think it would be nice if each Discipline had an ability that cost zero power points as well. I'd like to see the number of power points a character has and can spend, plus the number that abilities cost, reduced. Each point should feel significant. At higher levels, I don't want to have do deal with the math of spending lots of power points.

Thus, instead of:

Exacting Query (1)
Occluded Mind (3)
Broken Will (5)

It would be:

Exacting Query (0)
Occluded Mind (1)
Broken Will (2)

Yeah, I want cantrips.

Mirtek

Hero
I am really unhappy that psionic-magic-transparency is not the standard rule, I hope this changes before psionics become official. Mind Blank should stop any mythic cold

Remove ads

Remove ads