D&D 5E Psionics in a sci-fi D&D

How would you do it?

• Reskin magic

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • Totally new system

Votes: 85 64.9%

Aldarc

Legend
the mystic did not suck it was unbalanced which is far harder to correct but easier to understand.
One uncorrected problem with the Mystic was that WotC was that it was trying to do too much on a single class chassis, making it into an omni-psionic class rather than putting some of its subclasses into more obvious, pertinent classes (e.g., Psionic Warrior Fighter, Soulknife Rogue, etc.) or even odder choices (i.e., Wu-Jen).

One uncorrected problem with the Mystic was that WotC was that it was trying to do too much on a single class chassis, making it into an omni-psionic class rather than putting some of its subclasses into more obvious, pertinent classes (e.g., Psionic Warrior Fighter, Soulknife Rogue, etc.) or even odder choices (i.e., Wu-Jen).
That one is easy fixed by throwing out a few of the subclasses.
the mystic did not suck it was unbalanced which is far harder to correct but easier to understand.
When you add a bunch of new powers you are going to need years of playtesting to get them balanced.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
We have absolutely no idea what @Morrus has in mind. There are many different subgenres of science fiction for a start. Is it Space Opera (Star Wars)? Planetary Romance (John Carter's Mars)? Post-Apocalypse? Portal/Cross-Genre (Barrier Peaks)? Something I haven't though of?

Sub-genre and general tone has a big bearing on what sort of psionics you would want.

Exactly what I've been saying. The Psion and the Wizard of different sci-fi subgenres look different.

• Hard Sci Fi
  • Soft Sci Fi
  • Military Sci Fi
  • Science Fantasy
  • Space Opera/Fantasy
  • Steampunk, Dieselpunk, Biopunk
  • Cyberpunk
  • Dystopian Sci Fi
  • Post Apocalyptic Sci Fi
  • Multiverse
Each one would give you different types of Psion.

Then you have setting that have both Magic and Psionics like Index/Railgun.

Basically without the main focus and the hardness of the sci-fi setting, the question is hard to answer. But for a generic medium hardness sci-fi setting, reskinned spells would be as much work as as a new system in order to fit

So I'm coming into this thread fairly late and may be retreading old ground, but I want to return to a point that I think @Crimson Longinus brought up.

What would the new mechanics for a hypothetical Psion class be? And how would it be distinct from magic such that it would require it's own system?
The minimum is "something different from spellcasting." Which isn't the same as "different from using magic," both the monk and warlock don't have the spellcasting feature but can use spells.

Traditionally, this has meant using a resource other than spell slots to limit how many times you can do the thing. It doesn't need to be fundementally different in how it plays out, just different enough that you can't just call them spell slots and mean exactly the same thing. Power points has been the answer in DnD for at least 20 years now, although other options (ie the psionic die) are available.

How is a Psionic telepathically charming a person different from a Bard casting Charm Person?
What's the difference between a Psion shooting a bolt of lightning and a Wizard casting Lightning Bolt?
What's the difference between using telekinesis to pick up something and a Sorcerer using mage hand? Or using Catapult to attack?
In the first two cases: they didn't spend a spell slot.
In the latter, flavor.
Is it just the flavor? To be a bit facetious, we can just make spell slots into "power slots", spells into "powers", and throw in a distinct spell list (power list) with each subclass getting bonus spells (powers) and I think we're basically set.
Changing to power points isn't "just flavor", anymore than playing a monk is just a 'reflavored cleric.'
Because to me, at the end of the day, it's still just magic, no matter how much technobabble you use to flavor it. The end result is basically the same. And since 5e mostly doesn't care about the source of each class's magic or spells, so why make Psion special?
If all magic is just magic, why have 5 different full casters? Are bards and druids "the same thing"? Should we just not use classes?

why have 5 different full casters?
R.ae2507617492b31149666a14d45b8191

Are bards and druids "the same thing"?
Unfortunately, yes, pretty much.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
that was also so a problem one we can easily avoid ourselves.

what is a list of themes we think are likely mind over other minds and some kinds of destructive power set is likely to mean a minimum of two but beyond those two what else do we want?

I take it the other classes will be similar to the Modern Day & Sci-Fi RPG Class Equivalents - TV Tropes?

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
That’s not an explanation. It explains why some might be able to do it but not how
We're asking for a nod to scientific plausibility, not a full explanation. I want to believe it could be described scientifically, even if I dont know the details. Your insistence that everything is just made up and it doesn't matter is an insult to that concept, and to fiction as a whole. WHAT you make up, and HOW, matters.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
By the same token, Casting in D&D doesn't necessarily have casting. Meta magic allows for silent casting, still casting and eschew material from 3e ignored components for the most part. And, frankly, only wizards have a spell book, everyone else casts magic as an innate ability or something granted to them by some sort of "power".

I guess this is why I just don't really get it. If the magic system in D&D has no problems incorporating magic that comes from a god, magic that comes from internal bloodlines, magic that comes from some sort of "power" and magic that comes from learning, then why does magic that comes from your brain need an entirely new system? New class? Sure, I can totally see that. No worries there. But new system? Just for this? It seems rather extreme.

And, considering the way the wind is blowing with the release of the Monsters book from WotC, more complicated is not a direction they seem to be heading. If anything, I think you will see a lot of simplification in the game mechanics in the next five years.
In what way does it matter what direction WotC is going? Morrus is working on a 3rd party product and, judging from Level Up (which I love), he's not looking to simplify the game.

Remove ads