D&D 5E Psionics in a sci-fi D&D

How would you do it?

• Reskin magic

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • Totally new system

Votes: 85 64.9%

MGibster

Legend
Really? Jedi telekinesis and throwing lightning is pretty standard - a more powerful Mage Hand would catch that. Could you be more specific?
As all their abilities are wrapped up in mystical beliefs, the Jedi and the Force just scream magic to me rather that psionics. But I don't see a lot of Jedi using the Force to disintergrate, teleport, create food/water, or many of the other things D&D spells can accomplish. Jedi are kind of weak compared to higher level wizards.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Making a decision and finding a consensus are not the same thing. There are plenty of people unhappy with 5E's magic system, particularly in the way it overwhelms every other option at high level.
Concensus does not mean universal acceptance: WotC aimed for 90%+ approval in their core options, and got there.

Yaarel

He Mage
...I'd like that, yes.
I care about balance.

Juggling different spellcasting mechanics is hard to balance. Some are inevitably better than others. And there is likely to be unpredicted broken combos.

Also, because 5e privileges the Wizard and Cleric classes, the Psion always gets the short end of the stick whenever there is overlap.

I would rather the Psion access whatever normal spells are appropriate thematically.

Yaarel

He Mage
Making a decision and finding a consensus are not the same thing. There are plenty of people unhappy with 5E's magic system, particularly in the way it overwhelms every other option at high level.
On the other hand, 5e drastically reduced the number of high level spells that a caster class can have.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases