D&D 5E Psionics in a sci-fi D&D

How would you do it?

• Reskin magic

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • Totally new system

Votes: 85 64.9%

I would still suggest we do not make the basic mechanics or math too hard so learning a new system is a quick as can realistically be.
For a mass market product, sure. But isn't the whole point of of Level Up so people can prove how hardcore they are with complex mechanics and math? 😉

The Psi Blast: The target takes damage equal to the natural logarithm of the number of psi points expanded multiplied by the cube root of your character level.

Aldarc

Legend
Just take the Numenera approach.

It's super-advanced technology. Done.

Actually I think it's telling that while Numenera does have the conceit that its magic has an underlying scientific explanation it doesn't rely on psionics to be that explanation. More commonly it waves vaguely at things like nano-technology*

*True it does have psychic powers, and that's one option, but it's limited much more to the more specific realm of psychics, rather than expanded into a catch-all explanation for pseudo-magic. (A recognition I think that it can't work that way any more.)
The sources of magic for Numenera are not consistent. It does point to nano-technology, but it's also not limited to that. There are also cybernetic augmentations, mutations, and other known and unknown sources. There are also some hints that these are only the best explanations available for their powers, and peoples' grasp of how their powers actually work may actually be erroneous.

I would potentially go at magic in several angles in a science-fantasy D&D setting. One would be to extend the academic and scentific approaches of the wizard to its science-fantasy conclusion: i.e., that it sees its powers as advanced physics-altering science, advanced formulas, etc. that is indistinguishable from magic. The second would be the unexplainable, mystical, and wonderous powers that still somehow defy those approaches. So again, potentially having a key difference between the "Techno-Mage" and the "Mystic" in how they approach magic.

There is also the matter of resources. The more new powers you add to the game the more testing you need to balance them. And it's not a linear relationship, since each new power has to interact with the other new powers as well as all the old powers. One assumes @Morrus has fewer of those than WotC. On the other hand, people tend to be more forgiving of imbalances from 3PP.

If this is a "Level Up" related project (why wasn't it posted on the dedicated forum?) one assumes customers are already looking for increased complexity. It is already a niche product, so higher complexity is unlikely to hurt sales significantly.
Are there even Psionics in fantasy version of Level Up?

Because you can have magic in sci-fi.
No you can't, at least if we are making the dubious distinction between mystical magic and scientific psionics and science fantasy and science fiction.

It's a matter of focus in the themes and impact in the setting.

Default D&D magic is high impact.
But it is D&D magic we're talking about. So why would you assume that a scifi setting would have that?

Remove ads