D&D 5E Psionics in Tasha

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This is Telekinesis. This is a magical ability being cast with no components. One of the core things you have demanded of Psionics. If Spell-Like Abilities aren't like Psionics, what makes them different? It can' be that they are magic, because you said psionics can be magic.

It's not a spell, so fail. False Equivalences are false, no matter how often you repeat them.

So, it can only be a false equivalence if they are not similiar. And, from your own definitions, I cannot find any reason they are not similar.

Other than one is a "spell" being cast and the other isn't. Again, you are deliberately not looking.

Telekinesis is a Psionic ability. If I googled searched it, I would get results about psychic power. It is one of the two most iconic psionic abilities in existence.

Okay. So what.

The beholder is using Telekinesis. Unless you can provide a reason that it is some other type of ability, (other than saying I'm wrong because I'm wrong) then I don't see where I misstepped here.

I already quoted it. It's magic, because RAW says it is. It isn't psionics, because it isn't listed as psionics like Mindflayer spellcasting is.

Sure, the Mindflayers and one or two classically Psionic monsters have the word "psionic" for their spell-like abilities, but in practice they work identically in the game and at the table, It is a keyword that doesn't mean anything, because it does not connect to any rules.

Yes, it does. The rule for Mindflayer "spells" is that they are psionics and their "spells" don't require components. Trying to compare an ability, which is not a spell to Mindflayer "spells" = fail. Apples don't become oranges no matter how much you want them to.

You are the one who said that Psionics can be magical.

But not magical spells.

So magical eye rays does not prevent them from also being Psionic eye rays, because psionics can be magical.

If WotC reprints the MM with Beholder eye rays listed as psionic, then they will be. But not before. Psionic abilities are listed, so none of the beholder eye rays are psionic unless you house rule them that way.

And, in fact, they can produce the same results, look the exact same, and use the same rules (since spell-like abilities, Psionic Spell-Like Abilites and Spells are all using the same block of rules [Yes, Max, I am aware that spell-like abilities do not have components, that is not what I am referring to. I am referring to Wall of Fire being Wall of Fire, no matter how it is cast. Which would mean that Telepathy is Telepathy, whether you are using Psionics or Spells.])

Sure, but spell telekinesis requires verbal and somatic components. Psionic telekinesis does not.

The only possible difference is that one uses components and the other doesn't.

Well, no. There are lots of possible differences. Psionics could be not-magic. Psionics could use a spell point system like 3e. Psionics could use an ability check system like 2e. Psionics could require the psionic die. And so on.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So the only difference that matters is whether it's got the psionics tag? That brings us right back to it being a fluff distinction, not a mechanics/rules distinction.

That's not the only difference between psionic magic and magical spells. Psionic magic does not require component use. Magical spells do.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
So the only difference that matters is whether it's got the psionics tag? That brings us right back to it being a fluff distinction, not a mechanics/rules distinction.

Not for my version of psionics.
Mine would heavily based on augments.
Psioinc powers would have custom augments.
Spells would have overarching metamagic.

The difference is that of seasoning and dipping sauce.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Not for my version of psionics.
Mine would heavily based on augments.
Psioinc powers would have custom augments.
Spells would have overarching metamagic.

The difference is that of seasoning and dipping sauce.
You, um, know you're not getting that unless you make it, right, chef?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I know.
Yall gon hafta wait more than 6 months for me to finish though
Doesn't sound like my kind of cuisine, to be honest. I don't have a problem adding different spice to psionics and still using the spell system. I don't have the hang up that using spell slots requires psionics to use spells' fluff. Spell slots are just a mechanic, not a setting detail.

Remove ads