Psionics

Do you like Psionics?

• I like them

Votes: 71 77.2%
  • I hate them

Votes: 21 22.8%

Gellion

First Post
What are your opinion on Psionics in D&D? Do you like them or hate them? I am not talking mechanics wise, but flavor wise. Do you think they belong only in Sci-Fi? Or do you think they fit perfectly into a fantasy setting?

Wombat

First Post
Psionics never did it for me.

I guess part of this boils down to "Isn't 'psionics' just a scientific explanation for magic?"

Equally when psionics were first introduced it was such a broken system that I wanted nothing to do with it.

The third problem is that I have a hard time seen psionics and magic side-by-side. If they were decidedly different in tone this would be acceptable (using the Psionics Is Different sidebar in the new book), but this would require a lot more jockeying on the part of psions & spell-users; if they are not that different, then why have both? Of the two I am more comfortable with the basic magic system.

I guess psionics always has a "sci-fi-were-not-really-using- magic-honestly!" feel to it and I prefer straight up fantasty games.

Just personal thoughts, of course.

Belphanior

First Post
I like 'em.

First of all, I don't see the reason why psychic powers are a Sci-fi only thing. Psionics has its own feel, with telepathy and telekinetics and everything. The only thing I dislike here is the way D&D doesn't try hard enough to make the arcane, divine, and psi different from eachother.

Secondly I like psi because it features prominently in some of my favorite things: illithids and the Dark Sun campaign setting.

Psi is superior IMHO because it actually tries to give some reasoning behind itself. I can dig divine magic also, because, well, it's gods were talking about.
Arcane magic? Some settings do it good. Dark Sun makes you leach the lands. Birthright requires an inherent spark of divinity.
But in normal D&D Bob the Peasant can just study for a couple of months and wave his hands a bit. Presto! He can now work magic. Can the flavor get any more dead than this?

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I don't mind Psionics in D&D. They work better if you can work out a reason for their being in existence, even if you have them as a different form of magic.

I too play too much Darksun and utilize psionics much. I feel the need is there for them but it's more about presentation.

Magic is strange and defys logic. The source of the power is tapping into OUTSIDE power sources. The Life force of the universe / world or residue energy from the gods.

Divine power I find is played too much like magic. The ability comes from a deity. Most people don't play this up enough in my mind (at least my experience). You are a conduit for the divine energies. Neat enough.

Psionics takes the power from WITHIN you. I feel it should tax you more than it does. But, since it deals with the power levels to make real your thoughts (and imagination) I think it should be more diverified than it is. I'm sure if more psionics were used than arcane magic there would be books and books and books on it.

I really like to play up the psionic effects. Eyes flash brightly as a power is called up then remain lit while using it. A "bubble" effect or ripple of reality centered from the head as powers are used.

I really enjoy psychic duels but WoTC can't seem to get it. Monte Cook is trying and seems the closest at this point. The Athas.org site had something called Harbingers which strived for the effect but proved to be to disruptive to game play / time.

Psionic combat should be a staring contest with the battle happening within their combative minds. Images of the characters as they see themselves morphing to counter the skills, talents and luck of the other. The loser becomes brain dead...not dead.

THAT is Psionics in my mind (no pun intended)

Overall, psionics has gotten better and when Psionics 3.5 arrives next spring I hope it will be better yet.

Orryn Emrys

Explorer
I am rather of two minds on the subject. I've never felt like psionics were entirely out of place in a fantasy setting, but I certainly don't feel as if the setting is missing anything when they are absent. I tend to adhere to two basic rules in my games...

First, allowing that Psionics have ever been presented as an "optional" rule in D&D, at least since the 2E overhaul (prior to which they represented, in my opinion, a serious balance issue), if none of my players elect to include psionics in their character construction, I tend to ignore them, not working them into the game at all unless I come across an idea I just can't resist. Of course, if a player really wants to work them in later on... and he/she can propose a very convincing argument... I'll work them in. But groups with psionic characters in my campaign should certainly expect to encounter psionic villains. :D

Secondly, I enjoy the feel of psionics more when they remain rare and fairly low profile. As mysterious and enigmatic as magic can be, psionics should be even more so... after all, magic seems an integral part of the fantasy mileu... not necessarily the case with psychic abilities.... IMO.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I like Psionics -- more than my players it seems! None of them have Psi powers.

Sometimes I throw Psi monsters at them, when I want a creepy, alien encounter.

-- Nifft

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Psionics work well enough in a fantasy setting - Katherine Kurtz's Deryni books stand testament to that. However, I'm not a fan of mixing psionics and normal D&D Vancian magic. One or the other, not both.

Remove ads