Ptolus: 165 Vock Row - "Rat-catchers"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
A chortling and snickering Thurst glares at the ratling even as Ella swings a staff at the back of its head -- which remains undamaged, as the staff whistles by harmlessly. Valana's arrow does not miss, however, and Thurst is treated to a fine spray of blood as the ratling chokes on blood before dropping dead at his feet.

The group looks up to see Mairan wiping the ratling's blood from her borrowed sword and the final ratling, dead in two pieces before her.

Beyond her, dozens of smaller ratlings -- young of varying ages -- huddle in the garbage-strewn encampment, their rat eyes gleaming with hatred and fear.

[sblock=ooc]Valana does 5 points of damage to ratling #6, killing it.

Mairan does 8 points of damage to ratling #4, killing it.

Combat ends at last. 200 XP each.[/sblock]

Filthy

First Post
Watching for any signs of hostility from the younger ratlings, Mairan wipes the blood off her blade on the corpse of a dead ratling before her. Blade clean, she chooses not to sheath again just yet.

"What about them?", she asks jerking her head in their direction.

The fight over, Valana looks around the room for further exits.

[sblock=ooc]That was enough exp to bring us to level 2. How do you want to handle leveling up? Level up mid-adventure or wait until it's all done?[/sblock]

Wool

First Post
For some, the heart of battle is where they find themselves to truly be alive. The adrenaline pumping through your veins, the blood of your enemies upon your lips, rage fueling your movements. To Thurst, a single predominant thought distracts from everything else: ratling blood tastes awful!

The dour little dwarf stops his sputtering long enough to overhear Mairan's question. Eyeing the remaining brood, he sighs and rubs his blood-splotched pate, "I think you know, lass..."

[sblock=ooc]Not only do I not know how to level up, I don't remember how I made this character in the first place. :p[/sblock]

Filthy

First Post
"The temple pay for tails that young?", Mairan says, considering the implications of Thurst's suggestion.

Valana frowns at Mairan's calousness, but remains silent.

Filthy

First Post
"Hmmm ... there has to be another way out of here somewhere." Valana says as much to herself as to anyone who is listening.

"Aeshen, can you take a look around, too?"

[sblock=ooc]Valana will conduct a proper search for hidden doors this time. Search 5, Spot 1, Notice Secret Doors ability.[/sblock]

Voca

First Post
Aeshen nods at Valana's request and starts to move thoughtfully through the room.

Mata looks at Thurst, then at Mairan, then at the baby ratlings, sighing heavily.

[sblock=ooc] Aeshen will join Valana in her search -- Search +6, Spot +5, Sixth Sense regarding Hidden Portals.

Do any of us know the answer to the question about the temple?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Wool

First Post
Shifting a bit at Mairan's blunt response, Thurst observes the reactions of his present companions. The proper course of action is not always pleasant. Small as it may be, this was not a burden they were ready for.

"Let me worry about that, see what ye can do ta help the others."

With the party's attention diverted, Thurst approaches the grim task before him. There was never a question in his mind what the right thing to do was. Order was paramount, and their contract was clear. Adherence to the concept of good and evil was little more than a delussion to inspire the ignorant. Then why was the idea of slaughtering in the name of the foppish fools he had met earlier suddenly so distasteful?

Thurst sighs at the irrelevancy of his musings; fully aware of what the cause of Order demands, and what it does not. The job done, he returns to the group with no more ratling trophies than he had when it began.

[sblock=ooc]This is of course assuming the young ratlings are no real threat. Note that all the flavor above amounts to the young being killed because it was required, but the tails left as is. I figured committing such an act for profit would be considered an "evil" act. To Thurst, letting them go out of pity would have also been wrong. No one really objected so I figured no need to argue the point. Mairan can take it up with Thurst later if she likes. :p

And yes, I did forget what speech patterns I had decided on for Thurst. I apologize if the inconcistency bothers anyone. :p

I also just made up that nonsense about good and evil, I don't know if it makes sense in the context of a neutral character.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Filthy

First Post
Mairin moves to block the exit from the room in case any of the remaining ratlings try to escape the dwarven cleric and his grim business.

[sblock=ooc]Blocking the door, any ratlings come near and it's off with their heads.[/sblock]

Remove ads