• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ptolus: The Legend of Longcoat

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Dave Turner said:
[sblock=OOC]
Whiz, I just took it upon myself to have Akilu roughly know where the ghost has been sighted. If you'd prefer a roll of some kind to know that, then let's forget that Akilu said that. ;)
[/sblock]
[sblock=ooc]Even in Ptolus, the often-seen ghost of a dead prostitute is unusual enough for Docks residents to go "oh yeah, I heard about THAT."[/sblock]

dog45

First Post
Grant watches his new companions talk, nodding enthusiastically at the appropriate moments.

"I remember one of the fishermen telling me about the ghost. I think I remember the spot where he mentioned seeing her. If no one will miss their last swallows of Yan's salty wine, why don't we head over there? While we're in the area, we can check out the place where one murder happened, anyway." He squares his shoulders and looks to the door, secretly pleased with the thought of getting out into the rain and wetting his skin.

"I couldn't agree more!" Grant says, pushing himself off the bar. Eyeing the other patrons as he walks back to his friends, he leans over and whispers something to one of them. He tosses a coin on the table and turns his collar up, ready for the rain outside.

[sblock=Whizbang]Grant tells them that he's going to check out the latest killing spot and asks them to find out whatever they can from the rest of the gang.[/sblock]

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Erekose13 said:
"After you then, my darfallen friend." says Maugra setting her mug down and gesturing towards the door.

Vanden goes with the others as they leave the Shark. "I've congressed with people from many different stations in my work with the Sisters," he trails off for a minute, "I confess I never imagined I should commune with the spirits of the departed."

Wrahn

First Post
"If I remember my ghost stories correctly, ghost don't tend to be overly talkitive or immediately available for questioning. They tend to be focussed on what keeps them here and appear almost randomly. But perhaps if her murder is what is keeping her here, it might be worth a try, if we can find her." Jossen comments.

"It might be better if some of us looked over some of the crime scenes, while some of us look for the ghost."

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The group of vigilantes head south down Salt Spray Street, toward the area Coraithe Whitetree haunts in death and where she lived and worked in life. The street is close enough to the cliff face that most of the rain no longer hits them directly, only gusting in occasionally from various angles. The sky is still almost black, and the streets and alleys are dark as the group picks their way through puddles and across the slick wet sand of the streets.

In life, Coraithe lived in a hovel that was a sealed-off part of a larger building, the Ten Bells tavern and inn. Her after-death appearances scared off much of the clientelle of the Ten Bells and the tavern eventually went out of business. Grant recalls hearing that the tavernkeeper vanished, leading some at the time to wonder if he had been Longcoat.

Salt Spray Street eventually dead ends into the back of a warehouse, with alleys leading north and south off the last east-west bit of the street. The back of the Ten Bells (and Coraithe's hovel) is said to be down the south alley, which extends past a small tavern. To the north, the alley curves out of sight, with a bakery filling the corner shop.

The entire area is almost black, however: The streetlights at this end of Salt Spray Street have long-ago been vandalized, leaving just splintered posts sticking out of the sand.

A large woman huddles against the wall outside the tavern, nursing the stub of a cigar and shivering in the cold. Through the gloom, she looks up and grins lewdly when she sees the group approach.

Dave Turner

First Post
Akilu's bare feet leave wide prints as he walks the sandy street. Since the return of Longcoat, he has taken to wearing his seashell-studded leather cuirass and breeches when he leaves his home. Rivulets of water run down between the shells and along the sharkskin-wrapped handle of his trident. Standing at the end of Salt Spray Street, he warily looks north and south, noting the near-total darkness with a frown.

"In the water, the darkness wouldn't concern me. I've heard that the ghost haunts the southern end of this alley. I'd feel better if we had a lantern."

Akilu furrows his brow in thought and turns to consider the bakery.

"Maybe there's a lantern in there we can borrow, or buy, from the owner?"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Dim light shines through the bakery's window, which is almost opaque with caked-on sand and salt. A single figure can be seen moving about behind the counter inside.

dog45

First Post
Grant leans against the bakers shop, just outside the light. He says to Akilu "You go ahead inside; I'm on guard for the ghost."

Muttering under his breath, Grant says to himself "Never have seen a proper ghost before. Course, there was that one time at Mindy's, but that was just ol Benson in a white sheet...."

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The woman saunters over to Grant in what she probably thinks is a seductive fashion. Before she gets much closer, he's able to smell the garlic on her breath, as well as confirm that she's not had a bath in a long, long time. Her clothes are ragged, but are intended to show off her full bosom -- "healthy" doesn't fit, as the dim light through the bakery and tavern windows shows small sores across much of her skin.

"Hello, lovey. Fancy a bit of fun?"

[sblock=Garnet]Garnet recognizes the streetwalker. She's a half-orc named Crazy Klina who is, as her nickname suggests, more than a little off.[/sblock]

dog45

First Post
As the woman steps into the light Grant whistles low and sweeps off his cap. "Bless me eyes, mates! It's the ghost of Coraithe Whitetree!" Grant pushes off from the wall and walks a circle around the street-walker. "And the tales don't do your beauty justice my lady. It's been awhile since my sore eyes have lain witness to a sight such as yourself!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads