Pulling an unconscious ally out of combat

s-dub

First Post
frankthedm said:
There have been some disagrrement on that subject in this forum.

I'd call that just damage. Feasting on soft chewy entrials is a bit less lethal than tearing the targets head off. Mind you, a lot more painful.

What's really funny is that Jurrasic Park was on TV this week, so that's the exact quote I was thinking before reading the end of your post.

carborundum

Adventurer
Hypersmurf said:
Wait... with Bullrush, getting moved involuntarily does provoke an AoO.

-Hyp.

The plot thickens :)

I'd forgotten about that Jurassic Park quote - thank you sir!

Fun moment: The spellthief jumped in front of the unconscious barbarian in full defence mode and I handed him a picture of the savage beast in question, a raptor with mutated, extra long claws, tentacles on his back oozing pus, hundreds of needle teeth...

"Here, look at this while I roll these 5 attacks ..."

mvincent

Explorer
carborundum said:
I handed him a picture of the savage beast in question, a raptor with mutated, extra long claws, tentacles on his back oozing pus, hundreds of needle teeth...
Was this in Savage Tide (Kraken's Cove)?

Edit: never mind... I finally read the initial post

Last edited:

Felnar

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Wait... with Bullrush, getting moved involuntarily does provoke an AoO.

-Hyp.
heh, i thought to myself, "maybe i should double-check that", then decided "nah"

what else causes AoOs for involuntary movement?

things like Gust of Wind, Telekinesis, and Setting Sun throws dont cause AoOs for involuntary movement (well, at least explicitly)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Felnar said:
things like Gust of Wind, Telekinesis, and Setting Sun throws dont cause AoOs for involuntary movement (well, at least explicitly)

Telekinesis references the rules for Bull Rush.

Edit - ah, you mean Violent Thrust rather than Combat Maneuver.

There are a few things that explicitly call out involuntary movement that doesn't provoke an AoO - the Knockback feat from Races of Stone, I think, is one, and some items in the MIC.

Gust of Wind and Violent Thrust don't state that the movement causes AoOs; leaving a threatened square provokes an AoO, though, and they can both cause someone to leave a threatened square. Does their silence on the matter constitute a negation of the general rule?

-Hyp.

Dross

Explorer
LonePaladin said:
I'd say you made the right call on this. No animal, even one affected by the savage tide, would've ignored other combatants waving weapons and spells in its face to take a leisurely bite out of a fallen enemy's hide.

While I generally agree with your statement (and how the OP ruled) I have a problem here .

An AoO is not ignoring the other combatants to take a leasurely swipe. I don't know about the Savage Tide, but from the sounds of it those affected are more vicious, so I see the possibility of something attacking the fallen enemy out of malice etc.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Gust of Wind and Violent Thrust don't state that the movement causes AoOs; leaving a threatened square provokes an AoO, though, and they can both cause someone to leave a threatened square. Does their silence on the matter constitute a negation of the general rule?
I personally am not so sure GoF, other "blown away" results and TK:VT should be considered "movement" which generally is a voluntary thing with the exception of bull rush, which notes it does incur AoOs.

I feel doubly strong on this on TK:VT since the victim is traveling more like a projectile than a creature.

Moving said:
Moving out of a threatened square usually provokes an attack of opportunity from the threatening opponent. There are two common methods of avoiding such an attack—the 5-foot step and the withdraw action.
Move said:
The simplest move action is moving your speed. If you take this kind of move action during your turn, you can’t also take a 5-foot step.

Many nonstandard modes of movement are covered under this category, including climbing (up to one-quarter of your speed) and swimming (up to one-quarter of your speed).

And what about this?
Special Movement Rules said:
Accidentally Ending Movement in an Illegal Space
Sometimes a character ends its movement while moving through a space where it’s not allowed to stop. When that happens, put your miniature in the last legal position you occupied, or the closest legal position, if there’s a legal position that’s closer.
Will an AoO be incurred if your mini has to get repositioned as noted above?

I am so glad 4e has the movement vs adjustment distinction made clearer.

mvincent

Explorer
frankthedm said:
I personally am not so sure GoF, other "blown away" results and TK:VT should be considered "movement" which generally is a voluntary thing with the exception of bull rush, which notes it does incur AoOs.
I've noticed a precedence for involuntary movement (like falling, stalling, etc.) provoking AoO's. Also, this was the ruling from the Sage in a recent Dragon magazine (however, the last few editions were never added to the FAQ).

While I'm not completely sure I like that (especially since improved grab doesn't follow this paradigm), the alternative is allowing players to use involuntary movement producing effects to say, get themselves out of a threatened area without provoking. Plus, as a player I'm not sure I'd appreciate a guaranteed AoO being stolen from me because say, my opponent fell 5' off a crumbling ledge.

My strict interpretation would be that all movements provoke AoO's as normal (as stated in the global AoO rule), unless they specifically say they don't.

Last edited:

Remove ads