• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Putting me out of my misery ...

Ferret

Explorer
I'm quite sure the -ce is silent if it were pronounced grace you would have ç in there somewhere. Or would that make it grass?

Gez where are you!

BlackMoria

First Post
[
Coup = stroke or blow
de = of
grace = mercy

If this is the case, then the French word for mercy is not pronounced with the silent -ce (again I am not an expert).

Actually, the french word for mercy is 'pitié', if I recall my elementary french of decades ago. The literal translation is 'blow of grace' but the accepted translation is 'death blow' or 'blow of death'.

But I am no linguist, so I will let those who are more knowledgable than me weigh in.

Last edited:

I'm no Gez but I'm the next best thing (french is my maternal language)

The -ce is NOT silent. You can pronounce "Grâce" (yes, french for "Mercy") the same way an englishman (yes, from England) would pronounce "Grass", I mean as "graw-ss".

Ferret, The "ç" is only necessary if you have a "s" sound from a "c" in front of the vowels "a", "o" and "u".

Any other questions? :)

AR

BlackMoria said:
[

Actually, the french word for mercy is 'pitié'. The literal translation is 'blow of grace' but the accepted translation is 'death blow' or 'blow of death'
In french, "Pitié" and "Merci" are pretty much synonyms :)

AR

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
I guess count me as someone who pronounces it "graw", and not "graws".
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=coup de grace
Learn something new everyday I suppose.

I've actually heard people pronounce it "coop de grace" before, and that's definitely not right. WoTC should have put a pronunciation in there on this one, for the French-challenged of the world.

Somewhere during my lifetime, "judgement" started getting spelled as "judgment". I don't know who decided to do this, nor when, but it's the same word, and either is correct. Probably the same person did this as changed potatoe to potato.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=judgment

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads