D&D 5E PVP arena

Glomb175

Explorer
So I'm creating an arena of sorts for my party of 6 to battle it out. I've got a list of things I want to include (terrains, traps, cover etc.) But my concern is the size.

I'm making an actual model to use in the session, but I'm not sure whether to do 16"x22" or 22"x32".

When I draw out the smaller one, there's not enough room for everything and it's very overcrowded (may well be that I've just included too much stuff and should simplify it but let's leave that suggestion on the back burner).

But when I draw out the larger option, I'm concerned for my monk as he's obviously a melee character. The spell users all have range of 120ft so they're fine, even the rogue has a 100ft grappling hook to pull enemies towards him, but the monk has a speed of 30ft, a fraction of the battle map, I'm worried he'll get destroyed without even landing a punch which will anger him.

Thoughts?

Sent from my HTC 10 using EN World mobile app

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
One of the monk's strengths is their mobility, so be sure to make the arena more than a simple cage - make it a death trap lair, the jungle gym from hell, complete with pit falls, razor wire tunnels, precarious ledges and the like. Include lots of environmental effects that call for various checks and when applicable, Concentration saves, For example, shifting floor plates (Dex), ropes to vantage points (Str), gas/fumes (Con) as well as blast of air, swinging blades, magical fear traps and all that. And of course, lots of cover - trenches, low walls, barricades - some a flimsy and good for Advantage on the odd save, some offer a spot to catch your breath.

Oh and of course, light, shadows and darkness. Especially if said monk is going to be a Shadow Monk. Then they'll be popping out, grappling/slapping and causing all kinds of misery. Even if they're not, it serves to make getting a clean shot all the more trickier.

Satyrn

First Post
And cover!

Walls for the monk to hide behind as he approaches the target. Winding paths so there's no line of sight - indeed, that might be your best bet.

No matter how big you make the arena, you can break it up into smaller chunks so there's no place where someone doesn'f have more than a 40' line of sight to any other place.

Then add just a couple spots that give line of sight to the whole battlefield, sniper nests essentially, but make them exposed to return fire (that won't help the monk, true), and give them only one easy exit so the monk can corner them.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
And cover!

Walls for the monk to hide behind as he approaches the target. Winding paths so there's no line of sight - indeed, that might be your best bet.

No matter how big you make the arena, you can break it up into smaller chunks so there's no place where someone doesn'f have more than a 40' line of sight to any other place.

Then add just a couple spots that give line of sight to the whole battlefield, sniper nests essentially, but make them exposed to return fire (that won't help the monk, true), and give them only one easy exit so the monk can corner them.
Check out the last PVP Battle Royale that Critical Role did. That was an amazing arena.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Glomb175

Explorer
And cover!

I've done somewhat the opposite of your suggestion, a gigantic open battleground. The reason behind this is because I wanted a spinning circle of various terrain types in the centre, which takes up most of the area as it turns out. My guys have spells and ranged attacks of up to 120ft so didn't want to take that away from them. My monk will suffer though. He says he's got an ability that allows him to move 90ft once per game, then he'll stay within melee distance of his target.

Sent from my HTC 10 using EN World mobile app

Cornpuff

First Post
What level is everyone? Because at low level, Monks should still have some throwable darts they can use as a ranged attack, and then they have some increased mobility later on in-game.

Remove ads