D&D 5E PVP arena

Cornpuff

First Post
L5, ok ranged darts but what's that 1d4? Not really gonna help much against 5 spellcasters

Sent from my HTC 10 using EN World mobile app

True, it won't help much, but they'd have something. And a Monk at L5 has an extra 10 ft. of Unarmored Movement, so assuming your monk's base movement is 30 ft, it's now 40 ft. They can use a bonus action to Step of the Wind to Dash 80 feet, and then can use their movement and chuck a dart, or Dash again as movement+action for another 80, hitting that 160 total. Or, assuming that their movement including UM is 30, then they can dash twice for 120, and then use another KI point to dash next turn to reach the casters.

Glomb175

Explorer
Yeh I spoke to the player and he said that's about his only option, he'll be at a disadvantage but I don't wanna sculpt the battlefield to his character at the behest of the other 5

Cornpuff

First Post
Yeh I spoke to the player and he said that's about his only option, he'll be at a disadvantage but I don't wanna sculpt the battlefield to his character at the behest of the other 5

Ah, gotcha. Break up line of sight by introducing some cliffs or trees into that spinning terrain area, so he can't be targeted and has a chance against area of effect spells? Or, you could give him a short bow (in which monks are proficient and @ level 5 get 2 attacks), so he can at least chip away at them from a distance?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I have a vague recollection that people used to do PvP battles here at EnWorld waaaaaaay back in 3.0e days? Or was that the WOTC boards?

ethandrew

First Post
The reality you're facing is that you can't make it fair for every player. Each PC has advantages and disadvantages, and neutering five other PC's advantages because the sixth PC will be salty doesn't really fly with me. A 5th Level PC should be able to have enough abilities to mitigate their disadvantages until they can turn the scenario into their advantage, and if they can't, that's not your fault as a DM.

There's no guarantee the monk will be the sole target of all other spellcasters, so that should help minimize the potential for disaster. Plus, I'm not sure how you're planning on laying out your grid, but splitting six PCs equidistant from each other isn't possible to pull off while still maintaining "the closest enemy is 120 away" issue facing the monk. There will be someone decently close to him from the beginning.

Barring that, the earlier suggestions of proving ample cover is your best option, but then you give the monk an advantage over the other five, which seems even more unfair.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I've done somewhat the opposite of your suggestion, a gigantic open battleground. The reason behind this is because I wanted a spinning circle of various terrain types in the centre, which takes up most of the area as it turns out.

Can those terrain types have cover? Trees? Boulders? Even something as simple as a 5x5 column every 30 feet makes these battles a LOT more interesting.

If the arena is literally just a giant rectangle you really don't even need a map. Just track distance.

But if you do have cover that the monk can sprint between, that's a lot better. Then he can only be hit by area attacks and readied actions. He can use ki points to triple-move, too, so that really he's only losing a turn or two.

If he's fighting spellcasters, this actually sounds balanced. Most monks destroy spellcasters, once they get into range, with a fearsome stun-lock beat-down.

clearstream

(He, Him)
So I'm creating an arena of sorts for my party of 6 to battle it out. I've got a list of things I want to include (terrains, traps, cover etc.) But my concern is the size.

I'm making an actual model to use in the session, but I'm not sure whether to do 16"x22" or 22"x32".

When I draw out the smaller one, there's not enough room for everything and it's very overcrowded (may well be that I've just included too much stuff and should simplify it but let's leave that suggestion on the back burner).

But when I draw out the larger option, I'm concerned for my monk as he's obviously a melee character. The spell users all have range of 120ft so they're fine, even the rogue has a 100ft grappling hook to pull enemies towards him, but the monk has a speed of 30ft, a fraction of the battle map, I'm worried he'll get destroyed without even landing a punch which will anger him.

Thoughts?
Remember to have a roof.

I used this as my arena for 5e -

the Damara Colosseum is about 600' long by 500' wide
the Center Arena (where combats take place) is about 300' long and 180' wide, with a ceiling 180' high (needed for Flying, and falling)
it seats 80,000 people, although is typically sparsely attended

Also, what kind of Monk has a speed of 30'?!

clearstream

(He, Him)
Why do I need a roof? I actually didn't put a roof in so that the druid could use lightning or thunder or whatever it is
Depends what level your fights occur at. If Wizards get 3rd level spells, and there is no roof, the risk is that no one else can harm them.

It's probably more important to limit flight-kiting than to support Call Lightning, but if you have a Druid that has Call Lightning, you could rule that the roof is a grid of bars, with the sky in sight between them. Another possibility is simply to say - leaving the Arena counts as loss, and more than X' up counts as leaving the Arena.

Glomb175

Explorer
Depends what level your fights occur at. If Wizards get 3rd level spells, and there is no roof, the risk is that no one else can harm them.

It's probably more important to limit flight-kiting than to support Call Lightning, but if you have a Druid that has Call Lightning, you could rule that the roof is a grid of bars, with the sky in sight between them. Another possibility is simply to say - leaving the Arena counts as loss, and more than X' up counts as leaving the Arena.
Flight-kiting?

Remove ads