TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurel Wolf

First Post
invite to Gary

Hi Gary, My Husband and I were just reading this thread and saw that you live in Lake Genevia. We Live in Antioch and play every Friday night from 7 to Midnightish. We would love for you to join us some time. My Husband has been a gamer for over 20 years and I just started to play. I would love to have an opportunity to be able to talk to the creator of D & D just as I am starting to play. If you could make it on November 11th that is my birthday and I am making a Mexican Feast for everyone it would be a great present to have you join us if you can.

Thanks for such a great game that my husband and I enjoy together.

Laurel Wolf

ghul

Explorer
Laurel Wolf said:
Hi Gary, My Husband and I were just reading this thread and saw that you live in Lake Genevia. We Live in Antioch and play every Friday night from 7 to Midnightish. We would love for you to join us some time. My Husband has been a gamer for over 20 years and I just started to play. I would love to have an opportunity to be able to talk to the creator of D & D just as I am starting to play. If you could make it on November 11th that is my birthday and I am making a Mexican Feast for everyone it would be a great present to have you join us if you can.

Laurel Wolf

Man, I could picture it now. Watching out my window, awaiting the arrival none other than Gary Gygax for night of gaming a Mexican feasting. And here comes, EGG, pulling into your driveway, gets out of his car with a bottle of scotch in one hand and bag of books and dice in the other. I'd probably scream like a teenage girl who just won dinner and movie with Eminem ... but, er, my tastes tend to differ from those of the typical teenage girl.

--Ghul

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
Generally, it's best not to say things like that around here. Surely, the Colonel will PUNish us all now, and I don't mean by sending us to the Brig, my dear.
Ah...Frigate!

I don't want to do any brig puns--to sloopy.

Now noting that Bragi is a Norse deity is another matter. That's why I can forgive Ken for his temerity.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Laurel Wolf said:

Laurel Wolf
Hi Laurel:)

Far off, exotic Antioch, eh? :lol: That is pretty near.

The fact is that on Friday I have lunch out with my wife, then we spend the evening together--unless she or I have work that must be done.

Thanks anyway, and holler if you two would like to come up and play some LA or MA here sometime :D

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Edena_of_Neith said:
2,000th reply! :)

Gary, what could the original Magic Missile - as you conceived of it - do to non-living objects, if anything?
The envisaged effect for a magic missile when impacting a non-living (other than undead), energiless target was a fuzzle. Sort of llike a spark that sizzles a bit and does out leaving only a bit of scorched surface behing to mark its passing.

I got the idea of the spell from the film The Raven with Boris Karloff, vincent Price, and Peter Laurie. So too the shield spell.

Cheers,
Gary

Which is one of the reason they are some of my favourite spells.
Ken

Col_Pladoh said:
The envisaged effect for a magic missile when impacting a non-living (other than undead), energiless target was a fuzzle. Sort of llike a spark that sizzles a bit and does out leaving only a bit of scorched surface behing to mark its passing.

I got the idea of the spell from the film The Raven with Boris Karloff, vincent Price, and Peter Laurie. So too the shield spell.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ghul said:
Man, I could picture it now. Watching out my window, awaiting the arrival none other than Gary Gygax for night of gaming a Mexican feasting. And here comes, EGG, pulling into your driveway, gets out of his car with a bottle of scotch in one hand and bag of books and dice in the other. I'd probably scream like a teenage girl who just won dinner and movie with Eminem ... but, er, my tastes tend to differ from those of the typical teenage girl.

--Ghul
LOL!

About the only time anything close to that has happened to me is when in the past I have been mistaken for Gerry Garcia. On one of those occassions a teenage girl followed me around, even after I carefully explained to her that I was not said rock star. About then my wife showed up and shooed the young lady away :uhoh:

In a restaurant some folks were all excited that Gerry Garcia was dinind there, and the maitre de, someone who is a friend, explained who I was. That did not impress the other diners in the least :heh:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Joseph Elric Smith said:
Which is one of the reason they are some of my favourite spells.
Ken
Thank you Dr. Craven :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Now I need to be at work developmentally editing an LA game module designed by the clever Canadian author Greg Ellis ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases