QR codes in books?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It also depends on if the linked to content is mobile friendly. If you are linking to downloads then the user needs to share the link back to a desktop or laptop or download then to the device and transfer them from there.

On the flip side, having a link to a gallery of art isn't so bad as it could be mobile friendly.

One assumes the implementation is competent, yep! :)

DLIMedia

David Flor, Darklight Interactive
I've actually considered this... doing things like "here's a QR code that goes to a website where you can get pre-generated characters" or "here are more monster variants." From a marketing standpoint, that would also allow me to reach out to those that I know to be are existing customers and do things like build a mailing list or market directly to them.

The only reason I'm hesitant because it involves web development and support at a fairly high level, and all that works has to be done prior than the book ever getting to print. I'd also have to find a way to make them aesthetically pleasing and not look like they were railroaded in to the book's flow.

Might still do it.. I really gotta think about this one.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Might still do it.. I really gotta think about this one.

The general feedback I've been getting here and elsewhere is very anti. It looks like it would alienate people rather than interest them, which isn't what you want in your book!

herrozerro

First Post
Which is wierd. that the inclusion of something so small could turn someone off so quickly.

Wait... *takes a look at the dnd forums* nevermind.

Personally I would that that if it were unobtrusive and not required it would hopefully not be rejected.

DLIMedia

David Flor, Darklight Interactive
The general feedback I've been getting here and elsewhere is very anti. It looks like it would alienate people rather than interest them, which isn't what you want in your book!

Guess I have to read the whole thread then... because I don't see how it would alienate someone that already owns the book. They're already a customer, after all.

No matter, this sort of thing is the least of my worries. I have so much creative writing to do as it is that I can't think this far, so it probably won't happen.

Black sneak

First Post
Seems like a cool idea to me. I envisage the book having some cool graphic of two space ships dogfighting, and when you scan the accompanying QR code you are taken to a short video of that dogfight, perhaps with a narrator explaining details of the ships.

Likewise, scan the (presumably unobtrusive) QR code beside the map of Cormyr to hear a quick description of the major cities.

It would be cool at the gaming table, as the DM or a player with a smartphone or similar can scan a code to get some info; and if the info is media, it could help set the atmosphere or mood.

nerfherder

Explorer
(Edit - I can see where my perception came from. A little research tells me smartphone adoption here in the UK is 75%, and 50% of people have tablets - and the demographic I usually interact with is likely closer to 90%+; so I'm in an environment where I just don't come across people without smartphones, which is why I thought it so strange and alien).
Yeah, I'd say that 90% of the people I interact with regularly have smartphones - my parents and one or two colleagues being the exceptions.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm a reluctant smartphone adopter- had one since @2009 or so. Hate 'em. Most of my associates & dpfamily have them, though.

FWW, I don't use QR codes. I pretty much have them on ignore.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases