WOIN [Question] Experience and Advancement?

Drekin

Villager
Hello again
Drekin is back!!!

I was looking through the experience and advancement chapter and stumbled over this fact:
"The core advancement assumption is that you need to defeat or overcome 10 encounters of Medium difficulty to advance to the next grade."
However you need 10 times the NEW grade while you gain your CURRENT grade in EXP for Medium difficulty. In other words you need to defeat MORE than 10 medium encounters.
Example:
As a grade 5 character you gain 5EXP for a medium encounter. By the design philosophy you need 50EXP (10 medium encounters) to advance. But you actually need your NEW grade (6) times 10 which is 60EXP. So you'd need to do 12 encounters. A 20% increase over the assumption.
Anything wrong here?

Please advise
Drekin

knikpiw

Explorer
So x10 is for Grade advancement, but it's x3 the new level for other advancements (skills, attributes) and in the book it explains how you can adjust the advancement speed for your party.

In my longer campaigns with this system (more than a year) the x10 new grade level worked very well. Players still did fine tuning but mainly saved XP as it was more economical that way.

For a shorter campaign (And it was planned to be short). I lowered the cost for a new grade to x6 instead. Players progressed nice and quick, but not too quick either still. Nice development even in a shorter campaign.

In summary! Depending on how long you want the campaign to last and how much you want your players to advance will depend on the multiplier you use. Maybe start with x8 and adjust up or down depending on how it goes.

BTW, throw challenges that have the possibility of a player(s) being killed. Doesn't mean you set out to kill anyone, just that they know that there is a real danger, and BOOM! They earn more XP from that tough encounter. So it's about how you design encounters then, Medium is well- medium shrugs
Hope that helps a bit

Drekin

Villager
Thank you.
But not what I was looking for at all.

The book specifically states on assumption of 10 medium encounters per grade advancement, but that can't be done with the advancement costs.
So is the assumption wrong? Is the amount of EXP for medium also supposed to be based on the next grade?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not totally clear on the question, but the amount of XP needed for the next grade is equal to ten times the next grade. So you need 60 XP to get to grade 6 (from grade 5).

Drekin

Villager
I'm not totally clear on the question, but the amount of XP needed for the next grade is equal to ten times the next grade. So you need 60 XP to get to grade 6 (from grade 5).
Yes.
You also wrote in the book that the assumption is 10 medium encounters should provide the EXP needed for the next grade, correct?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It is correct that I wrote that, yes. :)

(But yes, I see what you mean. Technically it's just over 10 encounters.)

Drekin

Villager
It is correct that I wrote that, yes. :)

(But yes, I see what you mean. Technically it's just over 10 encounters.)
I was just wondering if it was an oversight and it should've "Next Grade" in EXP for a medium encounter. Since that would fit the 10 medium encounters :)

Remove ads