• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question - Fighter/Warrior Levels to Military Ranks

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Aside from the been busted down so many times they are a permanent Private 10th Level Fighters.

How do you all handle rankings and levels? At least the enlisted side. Everyone does their officers differently, depending on social rankings usually. And they don't pretain to what I need right now.
Where would you rate the Fighter/Warrior levels within this enlisted structure?

Using the Marine rank structure:
E-1 Private
E-2 Private First Class
E-3 Lance Corporal
E-4 Corporal
E-5 Sergeant (Sgt)
E-6 Staff Sgt
E-7 Gunnery Sgt
E-8 Master Sgt / 1st Sgt
E-9 Master Gunnery Sgt / Sgt Major

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I wouldn't necessarily equate fighter/warrior levels with any particular military rank structure, particularly not in a semi-medieval setting. Competence and experience don't necessarily mean much in a non-meritocratic system. Levels in aristocrat would be reasonably applicable for officers, possibly the only qualification for junior officers.

The way I'd structure an army, most rank and file would be 1st-3rd level warriors. NCO-type leaders would be 4th-5th level warriors. I'd confine fighters to the commission-styled officers but almost all would be multiclassed with aristocrat and, as they go up in ranks and are expected to master strategic arts and logistics, expert classes.

Schmoe

Adventurer
I agree with billd91, I don't see rank and character level tied that closely. I think character level is a better gauge of the experience of the troops. Yes, obvious is my middle name. :)

At any rate, here is roughly the scale I use:

Warrior 1: These are green troops who have been through training but have not yet seen action.

Warrior 2-4: Regulars. These troops have seen their fair share of battle and aren't likely to break and run at the first sign of trouble.

Warrior 5-7: Veterans. These troops typically serve in crack squads or positions of honor.

Warrior 8+: Elites. Soldiers who have reached this level of expertise are often singled out for special operations or to perform the most critical of duties, such as the Royal Guard. At this point, many may also begin to receive specialized training in PC classes, most likely Fighter or Ranger. Many also leave the ranks of the military to join elite mercenary groups, where they can make their fortunes.

The experience of the commanders depends greatly on the political and organizational structure of the military. In military organizations that value combat and tactical prowess, squad leaders will typically be of comparable or greater class level to the troops they lead. In military organizations where leadership is tied to political power, strategic acumen, or financial assets, squad leaders can have class levels that are wildly disparate from those they lead.

In addition, if military promotion is based on combat service, then higher ranking officers will generally have higher levels. If military promotion is not so closely tied to combat service, higher ranking officers may generally have lower levels than tactical combat leaders.

Funeris

First Post
I agree the character level is a better guage of experience of troops. However, lets assume that the military is intelligent...(i know its an oxymoron...I was military intelligence)...and would appoint the more experienced individuals to higher positions.

Based on that criteria...can we give approximate (minimum) class levels to gain entry into each of Yeti's rank listings? Let's assume that he's going to make each one of the ranks into a PrC. So, what do you need to get the PrC???

Hope that helped to clarify what he was looking for...without being too terribly condescending. I'm not feeling well. Eh.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Funeris said:
I agree the character level is a better guage of experience of troops. However, lets assume that the military is intelligent...(i know its an oxymoron...I was military intelligence)...and would appoint the more experienced individuals to higher positions.

Based on that criteria...can we give approximate (minimum) class levels to gain entry into each of Yeti's rank listings? Let's assume that he's going to make each one of the ranks into a PrC. So, what do you need to get the PrC???

Hope that helped to clarify what he was looking for...without being too terribly condescending. I'm not feeling well. Eh.

This is closest to it.
As I said I wasn't worried about the officer ranks. I have that figured and accounted for.

As we all know the Enlisted Ranks run most militaries day to day.
Yes I know there are social exceptions to the rules I'm setting here.

S'mon

Legend
TheYeti1775 said:
Using the Marine rank structure:
E-1 Private
E-2 Private First Class
E-3 Lance Corporal
E-4 Corporal
E-5 Sergeant (Sgt)
E-6 Staff Sgt
E-7 Gunnery Sgt
E-8 Master Sgt / 1st Sgt
E-9 Master Gunnery Sgt / Sgt Major

Taking a professional (non feudal) army IMC, something like the Roman Imperial army, basically each of those ranks equates roughly to a Warrior level; E-1 = 1st level Warrior, E-8 = 8th level Warrior. Fighters will be 1 level lower for the equivalent rank.
E-6 would equate to a Roman centurion, ca Warrior-6 or Fighter-5.
E-9 would equate to the senior centurion of a Roman legion (Primus Pilus Legionis), ca Warrior-9 or Fighter-8 seems reasonable to me.

For most NPCs I use the following, derived from GDW's Twilight 2000 & Traveller: The New Era:
Initiative
1 - Novice - 1st Level
2 - Trained - 2nd Level
3 - Experienced - 3rd Level
4 - Veteran - 4th Level
5 - Elite - 5th Level
6+ - Heroic - 6th Level+

S'mon

Legend
The above works for a professional military that recruits "off the street" like the US Marines. For a force that recruits from experienced soldiers like a mercenary or special forces unit, there will usually be a minimum level in the 2-5 range, as above. Eg something like the SAS Special Forces will have a minimum level of Elite - Warrior-5 or Fighter-4.

For most units IMC, at least half the men are the minimum level, 1/4 +1 level, 1/8 +2 levels, 1/16 +3 levels, etc. In some cases the distribution may be more linear, with a smaller proportion of troops at the lowest level - eg a long-standing regiment in peacetime with a high proportion of veterans, or a unit that has experienced heavy fighting with few replacements.

Bryon_Soulweaver

First Post
Ranks and medals are given for special training or how good you were at something, they shouldnt be just given out by levels.

I have a lot of military background in my family. :D And I do mean a LOT.

S'mon

Legend
Bryon_Soulweaver said:
Ranks and medals are given for special training

That's not right, though - special training may give you a badge and extra pay, it may be a prequisite for certain units, but it normally doesn't increase your rank per se, nor does it give you a medal. Rank requires experience (possibly requiring qualifications in addition, possibly an interview or formal appraisal process), medals are awarded for exceptional achievement, for a particular campaign, or (in the US military) getting wounded.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads