Question for DMs who've run 4e Shelter [spoilers obviously]

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
I've a minor question for DMs who've run Shelter.

[spoilers obviously]

[stop reading if you are a player....]

Near the end, the party enters the pyromancer's tomb. In one of the antechambers, there is a large bas relief dragon "portal" that leads to the actual sarcophogus of the Pyromancer.

Question one: It is a little unclear, but as you ran it, does all one need to do to enter is walk through the black hole style open mouth of the dragon to reach the hallway that leads to the tomb?

Question two: did your party trip one or both of the traps to the sarcophogus and containd on it, thereby likely 'killing' a character or two?

Followup: I know my party will want to go in the dragons mouth, trip the trap (barely survive whether suceeding or failing to open the tomb door), and then try to get in to the sarcophogus, again tripping a trap and "killing" one or more characters. They don't readily appreciate finding but being unable to access secrets protected by "level 30 magic" and I can not blame them. How did you run this area?

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I don't have my books in front of me, but I do recall that my players went for the sarcophagus. If I remember right, the hallway leading to the sarcophagus started filling with lava - or maybe that was the sarcophagus room itself, I forget. I believe they got into the sarcophagus room and started getting destroyed and eventually retreated. Not everyone went in, and they left before they died.

As for getting into that hallway, yes, they just walked through the mouth. I believe the write-up says you can't see through the portal, but I think I allowed players to HEAR through the portal, so they'd be yelling at each other through it and so on.

It ultimately didn't get them anywhere, but it was fun to run.

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
Maybe put a sign in front of it, written by the current crop of ne'er-do-wells hiding down there, that says, "Stay out. Death trap."

Hah, that will surely entice them to go in there!

It ultimately didn't get them anywhere, but it was fun to run.

Your recollection is correct: the hallway is trapped to rain and fill with lava. If they get through the door, the sarc is trapped as well to 'explode' in radiant fire.

In any case, your experience is enough for me to leave it as is and let them give it a shot if they dare. IIRC it is literally impossible for them to complete at least one of the DC checks.

Truename

First Post
My group went through the dragon's mouth (just walked through), triggered the lava trap, and couldn't get through the doorway.

I think they found it more frustrating than enjoyable. They were also a little stumped about what to do next--they knew they had to find Lee but didn't know where to go.

Remove ads