D&D 5E Question for those that use the Gritty Realism rest variant from the DMG.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Ah. I thought gritty realism was more for making games more realistic, so people can't full heal after sleeping for 8 hours. I've heard others postulate it as a nerf to casters, but I didn't think that was the specific intent.
I don’t think it’s really about realism (recovering from any and all injuries in a week is not significantly more realistic than doing so overnight, IMO), but rather about pacing. 6-8 encounters between long rests is a much easier benchmark to hit when long rests take a week. Makes it an adventuring week (or even month) budget, instead of an adventuring day budget.

Oofta

Legend
I don’t think it’s really about realism (recovering from any and all injuries in a week is not significantly more realistic than doing so overnight, IMO), but rather about pacing. 6-8 encounters between long rests is a much easier benchmark to hit when long rests take a week. Makes it an adventuring week (or even month) budget, instead of an adventuring day budget.
Depends on how you view injuries. I assume most are just reflecting strains and exhaustion. That, and people magically heal faster than we do without even realizing it. If you evolve in a world with magic, I can't imagine not getting at least minor benefits.

Or just chalk it up to action movie/TV injury logic. Shot and in the hospital in last week's episode? No worries! Right as rain next episode.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Ah. I thought gritty realism was more for making games more realistic, so people can't full heal after sleeping for 8 hours. I've heard others postulate it as a nerf to casters, but I didn't think that was the specific intent.
It's not a nerf to casters in the slightest. What it is, is removing a buff to casters of not having enough encounters per long rest to balance out with the at-will classes.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
It's not a nerf to casters in the slightest. What it is, is removing a buff to casters of not having enough encounters per long rest to balance out with the at-will classes.

Well, it's a nerf in the sense that the "default" allows them to get all spells back in 8 hours vs. 7 days. Such a rule has big consequences for the caster's resource management.

I suppose you can say all that's happening is the "adventure" day is being presented in a much more believable format (6-8 encounters in a week vs. 24 hours) but, as it's a negative change from the default - it's still technically a nerf.

Charlaquin

Depends on how you view injuries. I assume most are just reflecting strains and exhaustion. That, and people magically heal faster than we do without even realizing it. If you evolve in a world with magic, I can't imagine not getting at least minor benefits.

Or just chalk it up to action movie/TV injury logic. Shot and in the hospital in last week's episode? No worries! Right as rain next episode.
Oh, for sure! All of which is cool. I’m just saying I think it’s more about pacing and mood/genre/etc. than “realism.”

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Well, it's a nerf in the sense that the "default" allows them to get all spells back in 8 hours vs. 7 days.
8 hours or 7 days are irrelevant, it's all about how many encounters one has during that time. The problem is that the once per 24 hour recovery did not fit the expected number of encounter (by the designers) into the various common pacing that the DM did.

It absolutely is removal of a buff, not a nerf.

Such a rule has big consequences for the caster's resource management.
Yes, that is intentional. That is the primary point of the rest variants, to change the pace of resource recovery.

I suppose you can say all that's happening is the "adventure" day is being presented in a much more believable format (6-8 encounters in a week vs. 24 hours) but, as it's a negative change from the default - it's still technically a nerf.
As explained above, not a nerf, just a removal of a buff which is a very different thing.

Basically, the designers guessed very wrong about how many encounters per day the average table would have, doubling it over the previous editions. So technically "everyone" is DMing it wrong, and this is just fixing it. (Though in reality, it's designed at the wrong point, and long-rest recovery features like casting and rages per day should have a lot less uses.)

Charlaquin

RE: Nerf vs. removal of a buff. Just call it a balance adjustment and move on. We don’t disagree about the actual purpose or effects of the variant, we’re just bickering over what name to use for it.

Remove ads