• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Question from a newbie about cantrips

Calendyr

First Post
We decided to start a D&D 5th edition campaign and there is 1 rule I am not sure how to apply.

Situation: Level 1 fighter, Soldier background, High Elf (Moon Elf) with an Int of 11.

As moon elf, the character gets 1 free cantrip. The one chosen was Fire Bolt.

Question: With an INT of 11, the bonus would be 0. Do any other type of bonus apply to the to hit? Is this considered a proficiency and does it get a +2 for level 1?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
We decided to start a D&D 5th edition campaign and there is 1 rule I am not sure how to apply.

Situation: Level 1 fighter, Soldier background, High Elf (Moon Elf) with an Int of 11.

As moon elf, the character gets 1 free cantrip. The one chosen was Fire Bolt.

Question: With an INT of 11, the bonus would be 0. Do any other type of bonus apply to the to hit? Is this considered a proficiency and does it get a +2 for level 1?
Yes, with INT 11 the character gets no bonus to hit, but the proficiency bonus applies.

Voadam

Legend
Personal opinion, but I wouldn't allow that. Just as a fighter 3/rogue 2 doesn't get the fighter's extra attack, I wouldn't give the damage increase.
The comparison is not to what a fighter 3/Rogue 2 does with their weapon attack, it is what anyone who gets the cantrip does with the cantrip at 5th level RAW from the spell description.

FIRE BOLT
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
You hurl a mote of fire at a creature or object within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 fire damage. A flammable object hit by this spell ignites if it isn't being worn or carried.
This spell's damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).

Restricting it to 1d10 unless the character has enough levels of wizard would be kind of an odd nerf to the Fighter 3/Rogue 2 who specifically took the magic initiate feat to get this wizard cantrip, which seems the only way for a PH F3/R2 to cast it. And that build with that feat seems a decent way to style themself like The Witcher from the show (lightly armored, tough and great at fighting with a big sword, one ranged attack spell in combat, not really any of the ranger stuff).

Oofta

Legend
You cited the rule. My question was, do I have a profeciency in the spell or not. This is a racial ability. I do not know how to calculate the bonus in that case.
The proficiency bonus is based on class level, it's the second column in the fighter table so it's a +2, goes up to +3 at 5th level and so on.

Remove ads