D&D 5E Question from a newbie about cantrips

Calendyr

First Post
We decided to start a D&D 5th edition campaign and there is 1 rule I am not sure how to apply.

Situation: Level 1 fighter, Soldier background, High Elf (Moon Elf) with an Int of 11.

As moon elf, the character gets 1 free cantrip. The one chosen was Fire Bolt.

Question: With an INT of 11, the bonus would be 0. Do any other type of bonus apply to the to hit? Is this considered a proficiency and does it get a +2 for level 1?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
We decided to start a D&D 5th edition campaign and there is 1 rule I am not sure how to apply.

Situation: Level 1 fighter, Soldier background, High Elf (Moon Elf) with an Int of 11.

As moon elf, the character gets 1 free cantrip. The one chosen was Fire Bolt.

Question: With an INT of 11, the bonus would be 0. Do any other type of bonus apply to the to hit? Is this considered a proficiency and does it get a +2 for level 1?
Yes, with INT 11 the character gets no bonus to hit, but the proficiency bonus applies.

Oofta

Legend
You cited the rule. My question was, do I have a profeciency in the spell or not. This is a racial ability. I do not know how to calculate the bonus in that case.
The proficiency bonus is based on class level, it's the second column in the fighter table so it's a +2, goes up to +3 at 5th level and so on.

Ferrousbones

Artificer
To summarize the above correct answers:

Your attack modifier is +2 due to proficiency and an Intelligence modifier of +0, and because Fire Bolt does not apply ability modifier to damage, said damage is just 1d10 at level 1.

Remove ads