• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

question on ardent choice of powers

irdeggman

First Post
But if all psionic classes have there own ML then what of PrC? Are all the powers I use going to be gimp since I started a new manifesting class?

It depends on the prestige class and what the abilites say.

I currently have a psi warrior 7/ elocator 6 in my campaign and I have been counting him as lvl 13 ML. If my elocator was just ML=6 then what is the point of ever picking higher level powers when, by the law of ML> points spent I can never use them? I highly doubt WotC meant for me to only pick lvl 2 powers when they said "+1 to existing manifester class".

For example the elcoator prestige class specifically states
+1 level of existing manifester class

At those levels he gains manifester levels to the existing manifesting class.

Note that the elocator does not always gain manifester levels - specifically he does not gain manifesting levels at 2nd, 5th and 8th levels.

So your psi warrior 7/elocator 6 has a ML of 11 since he does not gain ML for elocator levels 2 and 5.

Before you get all up and alarmed in thinking this "sucks" there are many spellcasting prestige classes that work the exact same way too.

Also spellcasting classes do not stack for CL either so a sorcerer 5/wizard 6 has CL 5 for sorcerer issues and 6 for wizard ones. For certain things (like familiar abilities the two stack, for item creation purposes they do not).

samb1230

First Post
It depends on the prestige class and what the abilites say.

For example the elcoator prestige class specifically states

At those levels he gains manifester levels to the existing manifesting class.

Note that the elocator does not always gain manifester levels - specifically he does not gain manifesting levels at 2nd, 5th and 8th levels.

So your psi warrior 7/elocator 6 has a ML of 11 since he does not gain ML for elocator levels 2 and 5.

Before you get all up and alarmed in thinking this "sucks" there are many spellcasting prestige classes that work the exact same way too.

Also spellcasting classes do not stack for CL either so a sorcerer 5/wizard 6 has CL 5 for sorcerer issues and 6 for wizard ones. For certain things (like familiar abilities the two stack, for item creation purposes they do not).
Ah so i can stack my elocator and psiwarrior MLs (sans the 2 where i get opt strike). Not to bad. Honestly the issue what ML really is never really came up since ML never really played a big part in the campign, since most my psiwarrior and eloctor stack anyway and most of my powers are unaugmentable. Even if i didn't pick up a few levels in another psionic class I would need to select powers based on the clearly stated power levels.

I only asked since I just read ardent and wondered how it could work as a dip class, and as I found out it doesn't work too well at all.

irdeggman

First Post
I only asked since I just read ardent and wondered how it could work as a dip class, and as I found out it doesn't work too well at all.

Most "base" spellcasting or psionic classes to not function well as "dip" classes because of the different spell/powers lists issues.

Prestige classes on the other hand may function well as dip classes.

moritheil

First Post
This seems almost too good. Say if i had a egoist 3 with 17 wisdom (determines the max lvl ardent power you can pick) and I took one level in ardent with mental might mantle does that mean I can pick ultrablast as a lvl 4 character?

Can you pay for ultrablast, remembering the cap on points spent per power for all manifesting classes is limited by manifester level? You cannot. It costs 13 power points, and 13 is greater than your manifester level. Thus, you cannot manifest it. And thus, you cannot pick it.

The apparent contradiction is that the authors have assumed you remember the overall rule that you can never spend more points per manifestation than your ML.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads