Level Up (A5E) Question on Battle Hymn - Rise and Fight

SilverFox87

Villager
Hi everyone, long time reader and first time poster here. We've got a pretty high level group of adventurer's using the A5e system and we've really enjoyed the transition. One class in particular, the Bard though, has had quite a few new abilities to contend with!

The latest issue is a Battle Hymn called Rise and Fight, which reads: "A dying ally you can see within 30 feet regains hit points equal to your bardic inspiration die." Unlike earlier songs (such as Song of Clarity) which call out the timing of the effect, there is no information provided on when that dying ally regains the hit points. With Battle Hymns being, essentially, always on, my concern is that this song essentially makes the party "immune" to the dying condition. I.E. - An enemy reduces someone besides the Bard to 0 HP, triggers the dying condition, immediately Rise and Fight is triggered and that PC regains hit points equal to the bardic inspiration die.

Am I missing something here on how to interpret this ability?

My understanding is that unless the ability states otherwise (such as with Song of Clarity) the Battle Hymn is activated at the start of your turn and takes effect when you choose a target with the option to sustain the Hymn by using concentration until you choose that target.

Based off this Rise and Fight would go off on your turn when you target the creature that meets the requirements (i.e. is dying).

The hymn would also end then unless you had something (such as Battle Hymn Focus) that allows multiple targets or to continue sustaining it.

That said since a character can only benefit from it once per long rest I don't think it really makes the party "immune" so much as offer an emergency save your tuchis option.

SilverFox87

Villager
My understanding is that unless the ability states otherwise (such as with Song of Clarity) the Battle Hymn is activated at the start of your turn and takes effect when you choose a target with the option to sustain the Hymn by using concentration until you choose that target.

Based off this Rise and Fight would go off on your turn when you target the creature that meets the requirements (i.e. is dying).

The hymn would also end then unless you had something (such as Battle Hymn Focus) that allows multiple targets or to continue sustaining it.

That said since a character can only benefit from it once per long rest I don't think it really makes the party "immune" so much as offer an emergency save your tuchis option.
Thanks this is really helpful! I've finally cracked open the hard-cover copy I received this week and I see now that there have been some serious errata's added to Battle Hymn that really help clarify this.

Appreciate the response!

Remove ads