• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Question on Effective Party Size in Pathfinder

Punnuendo

First Post
Working a full time job and getting ready to go back to school has reduced my amount of free time to almost none. I still want to game however, so I'm thinking of switching over to Pathfinder and using the plethora of published adventures to cut down my prep time as a GM.

I only have three players though. So I was wondering if anyone had thoughts/experiences on running Pathfinder with only three PCs and how that worked out.

Papa-DRB

First Post
Most of the Adventure Paths are written for 4-6 PCs. I am currently running Legacy of Fire and have 4 PCs and a cohort. Before the 4th player, I ran a DM NPC BSF (big stupid fighter).

-- david
Papa.DRB

IronWolf

blank
I only have three players though. So I was wondering if anyone had thoughts/experiences on running Pathfinder with only three PCs and how that worked out.

Most modules will expect a party size of four or so.

I think you can run with three, you might need to modify a few things. Some of the encounters might need scaled down a touch. Possibly reducing the hit points slightly, dropping the AC just a bit or removing a critter from an encounter to help keep things feeling reasonable. You'll get a feel for it as you game. Some encounters could run just fine, others might need some of this adjustment.

Some of this will depend on the experience level of your players too. More experienced players are likely to need to less tweaking I would suspect as they may use tactics more to their advantage and such. While new players will be learning as they go.

Also if the group is likely to be missing one of the expected roles, possibly missing a rogue or cleric or tank type. Keep that in mind as you play. If there is a trap that needs disabled you might need to come up with another means for it to be disabled other than just having a rogue make a disable device check.

Those are just some things to watch out for. I think you can definitely run modules and such for a party of three and have a great time. As DM you just need to be aware that there might be some things that need scaled down a bit or alternatives to work around. Certainly doable though and without a lot of effort.

Votan

Explorer
I don't run modules and have 3-5 players and make up for any lack with NPCs/items and everything runs smoothly.

I have tried a module (Rise of the Runelords) and a 3 player party had some trouble. But part of it might have been the lack of a dedicated fighter -- that was also pretty likely to have contributed to their issues.

I think it would have gone okay if I'd dropped the AC of the goblins by 2 or 3 points. I am not sure -- I will report back after session 2.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I had 3 players when I started running the Shackled City campaign. Had each of them roll up and run 2 PCs. I recommended that they be significantly different in abilities to make an interesting contrast. Worked pretty well. Don't see why it wouldn't work for PF too.

frankthedm

First Post
Players have options to make allies, hire torchbearers, buy mercenaries and make use of mounts. Leadership may be a good feat choice for small groups

Jhaelen

First Post
I had 3 players when I started running the Shackled City campaign. Had each of them roll up and run 2 PCs. I recommended that they be significantly different in abilities to make an interesting contrast. Worked pretty well. Don't see why it wouldn't work for PF too.
Yep, Shackled City was unusual in that it assumed a party of six. I don't know about any of the following APs (because none of them is available as a hardcover :-().

Kaisoku

First Post
With 3 players, you aren't lacking too hard on the action economy. Especially if your players have animal companions, or you are agreeable to the Leadership feat.

If the players aren't keen on playing secondary characters (even if they are simple in tactics), then here's where Gestalt would really come into play.
Make sure they choose options that keep their ability sets varied. No need for 3 Fighter/Rogues, for instance...

Alternatively, you can do what I did recently and give a "partial" gestalt. My players didn't like the idea of being "super humans" vs normals, so I only gave them about a class feature or two to make up for the lack of versatility.

Better BAB and combat access for the Rogue (since there was less flanking options). Increased spellcasting and allowing arcane spell choices for the Ranger. That kind of thing.
It helped that one player was keen on playing a Leadership style character (to gain a dedicated healing cohort... called Jeeves... who they dress up in a butler's outfit... /sigh). The player wanted me to play the character, so I got a DMPC that fills a needed role, and they got a powerful feat option (I play him as that player's bodyguard, protecting him first, party second, etc).

Basically, however you can try and fill that "4th role" that's going to be missing. Whether it's adding characters (under DM or PC control), adding items, adding class abilities, or whatever.

Obviously if you are going to run a homebrew, then ultimately you control the encounters (or you can let the PCs play a game where they control the encounters, and decide who and how to face their enemies, etc), so all that might end up being unnecessary.
You did say you were planning on using APs to cut on prep time though, so it's likely you'll need to decide on some option for the players.

Remove ads