Question on golems

DMH

First Post
Since golems are animated by earth spirits, what would the effects be of animating them with the other elementals? What about golems powered by outsiders? Or even incorporial undead?

Trencher

Explorer
Different golems are animated by different spirits.
Think of it the other way around what kind of spirit do I need to animate my copper golem? Hmm elementals from the quasi plane of lightning perhaps?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I remember recently seeing in a 3(.5)E WotC product some golem that derived it's special powers (I think it was quicker and/or smarter than other golems) due to it being animated by an elemental fire spirit.

Can't recall exactly what monster that was though.

Ferret

Explorer
I stated up a creature that is a golem-ghost.... A water elemental golem that was a liquid would be cool. But what would it made of....? Quicksilver! Dear god I've got it! *runs off to stat out*

Knight Otu

First Post
This is something that has partially been explored, though not necessarily through golems.

Automatons (MM2) are animated by shadow magic, which makes them somewhat unreliable.
A few draconic golems (Dragonbone, Drakestone and Ironwyrm; Draconomicon) are imbued with the lifeforce of a dragon.
Grisgols (MM3) are animated by the life force of a lich's phylactery.
Nimblewrights (MM2) are smart and dexterous constructs animated by a water spirit.
Planar golems (MM3) is animated by a spirit of the proper plane.
Rogue Eidolons (MM2) can be considered to be animated by a shred of a deity's will - perhaps an aspect?

The effects can be pretty varied.

Hashmalum

Explorer
The flesh colossus in the Epic Level Handbook is animated by a ghost of at least 10 HD, and a colossus is basically just a really big golem. If an appropriate ghost is unavailable for some reason, the creator can animate it with magic jar. With an animating spirit, the mental stats are those of the spirit; without an animating spirit, it's near-mindless (Int 1).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases