Question on Magus and their Arcane Pool ability (adding weapon properties to weapons)

RigaMortus2

First Post
Magus

Arcane Pool (Su): At 1st level, the magus gains a reservoir of mystical arcane energy that he can draw upon to fuel his powers and enhance his weapon. This arcane pool has a number of points equal to 1/2 his magus level (minimum 1) + his Intelligence modifier. The pool refreshes once per day when the magus prepares his spells.

At 1st level, a magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool as a swift action to grant any weapon he is holding a +1 enhancement bonus for 1 minute. For every four levels beyond 1st, the weapon gains another +1 enhancement bonus, to a maximum of +5 at 17th level. These bonuses can be added to the weapon, stacking with existing weapon enhancement to a maximum of +5. Multiple uses of this ability do not stack with themselves.

At 5th level, these bonuses can be used to add any of the following weapon properties: dancing, flaming, flaming burst, frost, icy burst, keen, shock, shocking burst, speed, or vorpal. Adding these properties consumes an amount of bonus equal to the property's base price modifier (see the Magic Weapon Special Ability Descriptions). These properties are added to any the weapon already has, but duplicates do not stack. If the weapon is not magical, at least a +1 enhancement bonus must be added before any other properties can be added. These bonuses and properties are decided when the arcane pool point is spent and cannot be changed until the next time the magus uses this ability. These bonuses do not function if the weapon is wielded by anyone other than the magus.

A magus can only enhance one weapon in this way at one time. If he uses this ability again, the first use immediately ends.

So, lets say the Magus is level 5, and he decides to expends 2 points. He gives his weapon a +1 Enhancement bonus and the Flaming Property.

Lets look at the Flaming property:

Flaming
Upon command, a flaming weapon is sheathed in fire that deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage on a successful hit. The fire does not harm the wielder. The effect remains until another command is given

The sword now has the flaming property, and the flaming propery states that the weapon becomes sheathed in flames upon activation of a command word.

Does this means that the weapon is NOT automatically sheathed in flames upon expenditure of the arcane pool points? That the weapon simply has the property, and the Magus must still activate it (per the property rules on flaming)? So a swift action to give it the property, and a Standard Action to sheath it in flames?

If this interpretation IS correct, then you also have to follow the rules of activating an item by command word. Meaning, the Magus needs to speak the command word, but there is no rule that states he gets to make up what the command word is. Under the Command Word rules for item activation, it suggest you can make a Knowledge Arcana check or cast Detect Magic to determine what the command word is. So does the Magus need to go through all these extra steps in order to use a magic property he throws into his weapon per his class feature?

What is the RAW on this?

SteelDraco

First Post
I have always assumed that the weapon ability activates as part of the magus's action to give the weapon the ability.

Honestly, we never use the "standard action to turn on a weapon property" at all. It's just been part of drawing the weapon. I'm not sure I've ever seen a group require that.

If you do want to enforce the command word activation, surely the magus would know the command word, since he created the effect. I don't think there's rules text that specifies that the creator of a magical item knows its command words, but I certainly would assume that he decided what they were himself.

I would allow the magus to suppress and activate the weapon properties on a magical weapon he enhanced with his arcane pool for the duration of the power, just like any other magical weapon.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
No, once the arcane points are spent the power is activated. No other step is necessary to activate the power, once arcane points are spent - the power is on. There is no command word for it. The item is just a masterwork weapon, that must first be given an attack bonus of at least +1 by the expenditure of arcane points, or the weapon must already have at least a +1 enhancement bonus to spend the additional arcane points to activate the power. There is no further requirement except the expenditure of arcane points. Spending the arcane points is the "upon command" requirement of the weapon property.

RigaMortus2

First Post
No, once the arcane points are spent the power is activated. No other step is necessary to activate the power, once arcane points are spent - the power is on. There is no command word for it. The item is just a masterwork weapon, that must first be given an attack bonus of at least +1 by the expenditure of arcane points, or the weapon must already have at least a +1 enhancement bonus to spend the additional arcane points to activate the power. There is no further requirement except the expenditure of arcane points. Spending the arcane points is the "upon command" requirement of the weapon property.

I want to agree with you, but from the desciption of the Arcane Pool and Flaming weapon property, it doesn't seems to work that way.

Where in the description of Arcane Pool does it state that those powers are activated? It states that you can add the weapon property to a weapon, but nothing about it being automatically activated. And when you go to the Magic Item section, and look up the weapon property (in this case, for flaming weapon) it states that "upon command, the weapon is sheathed in fire". You need to actively command it to turn the flaming part on.

Stormwarden

First Post
I want to agree with you, but from the desciption of the Arcane Pool and Flaming weapon property, it doesn't seems to work that way.

Where in the description of Arcane Pool does it state that those powers are activated? It states that you can add the weapon property to a weapon, but nothing about it being automatically activated. And when you go to the Magic Item section, and look up the weapon property (in this case, for flaming weapon) it states that "upon command, the weapon is sheathed in fire". You need to actively command it to turn the flaming part on.

Someone asked nearly the same question you have on the Paizo forums. One of the Pathfinder rules developers, I don't recall which one, responded that the intent was for the weapon properties to be activated when the arcane pool point was spent. Honestly, it would be counter intuitive and overly complex otherwise. If that won't satisfy you, however, go post there. I'm sure someone will be able to find the post I'm referring to.

Also, somewhat unrelated to the point of your question, only 1 arcane pool point must be spent to add an enhancement bonus/weapon properties through the arcane pool ability.

PRD said:
At 1st level, a magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool as a swift action to grant any weapon he is holding a +1 enhancement bonus for 1 minute. For every four levels beyond 1st, the weapon gains another +1 enhancement bonus, to a maximum of +5 at 17th level. These bonuses can be added to the weapon, stacking with existing weapon enhancement to a maximum of +5. Multiple uses of this ability do not stack with themselves.

At 5th level, these bonuses can be used to add any of the following weapon properties: dancing, flaming, flaming burst, frost, icy burst, keen, shock, shocking burst, speed, or vorpal. Adding these properties consumes an amount of bonus equal to the property's base price modifier (see the Magic Weapon Special Ability Descriptions). These properties are added to any the weapon already has, but duplicates do not stack. If the weapon is not magical, at least a +1 enhancement bonus must be added before any other properties can be added. These bonuses and properties are decided when the arcane pool point is spent and cannot be changed until the next time the magus uses this ability. These bonuses do not function if the weapon is wielded by anyone other than the magus.

Burn_Boy

First Post
I've played a Magus and yeah, I think once you spend the points from your arcane pool the effect is applied on your weapon. I choose to think of it like a shortcut, it does the activation thing for you.

Now if you had a normal weapon that had a fiery enchant on it, as a DM, I wouldn't add the fire damage unless you said you activated it. But for a Magus using his arcane pool, I'd just assume it's already done.

Remove ads