Questions about EGG

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:
The WotC offer regarding the new World Setting is a most interesting one. IMO it takes a lot of time and effort to create a believable and compelling one, and I wonder if anyone without a complete world ready to revise and adapt to fit their needs can possiobly hope to compete in the contest.

I doubt it very much. This call for such submissions seems more geared towards professional - and prolific - game designers, rather than to the folks who seem most excited about it now. Or at least it's geared towards somebody who would be a pro, if they got their big break. That is, it's not really for the average Joe who simply types up his campaign notes and sends them in. It's more for the person who is ready, willing, and able to handle large, professional-quality projects, not dilettantes.

Gary, I'd highly encourage you to submit.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:

Gary, I'd highly encourage you to submit.

Now sir, what do you mean by that?!

:mad:

Okay, seriously, I won't consider a personal submission because I do not have at hand what I consider the necessary background materials for another unique and compelling world setting. In my view it takes a considerable amount of development and play to arrive at such a creative work. Also, as of this time I do not have much tme to spare for a "spec" project ;)

Cheerio,
Gary

William Ronald

Explorer
Well, perhaps down the road something might be possible.

So, while Col_Plahdoh will not be in the contest, perhaps WoTC may turn to him in the future for a setting.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
William Ronald said:
Well, perhaps down the road something might be possible.

So, while Col_Plahdoh will not be in the contest, perhaps WoTC may turn to him in the future for a setting.

Perhaps, but don't bet the farm on it.

In considering the matter, what I would have a lot of fun doing is devising a city of small size where a crew of rather disreputable characters can hang out, adventure, get involved in intregues, politics, maybe solve crimes (they didn't commit), and that sort of thing.

Even that would take a solid year of design and development time, I think, with plenty of play-yesting in the latter portion of the project.

;)
Gary

Melan

Explorer
Gary: and I would like to see your treatment of Lankhmar... Of course, you could call it Blackeagle or Whitecrow or something...

machine

First Post
Re: Re: Questions about EGG

Col_Pladoh said:
Salutations!

BTW, Piratecat called my attention to this thread, or I'd be plugging away at a supermodule for D20/LA that I am doing now.

Cheerio,
Gary

Yeah! Uncle Gary's back!

:D

ForceUser

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions about EGG

Col_Pladoh said:
This reminds me of what a snippy yound book editor once said when we were both on a panel at a SF/game con:

"You stole dwarves from Tolkien didn't you?"

"No m'am, I stole them from the same source he did, Norse mythology."

With all due respect, sir, I have to comment here. D&D as I have known it all my life is centered on the dungeon-delving group of 3 to 8 characters who brave dangers together despite their diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds - exactly as depicted in Tolkien's Fellowship of the Ring. As far as I can tell (and I admit to not being especially well-read), this was the dawn of the modern fantasy concept of the adventuring group. You had your elf, your dwarf, your humans and your halflings - exactly like the D&D I've grown up with. Was there an earlier source other than Tolkien that so-well defined the D&D adventuring group that influenced you more greatly than Tolkien? OAD&D, to me, has always seemed ripped right out of the Mines of Moria (which is not, I assure you, a bad thing :) ).

I guess what I'm asking is, if you didn't directly lift the concept of the small adventuring group of elves and dwarves and humans right out of Tolkien, then what specific work inspired you (because I'd love to read it :) )?

edit: clarity

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions about EGG

ForceUser said:

I guess what I'm asking is, if you didn't directly lift the concept of the small adventuring group of elves and dwarves and humans right out of Tolkien, then what specific work inspired you (because I'd love to read it :) )?

edit: clarity

The concept of a small band of adventurers began, I suppose with the Illiad and the Odyssy. It then was "updated" in such legends as those of King Arthur and Robin Hood. Stories of medieval adventure, such as THE BLACK COMPANY also dealt with serveral protagonists. In short, the concept of a band setting forth to accomplish a mission did not begin with JRRT's work, and no, I didn't get the idea from him.

Actually, multiple players with figures representing each one on the table-top has been something that's been in play since about the time Tolkien begin writing his fantasy work, the 1940s, I should think.

There is no question that the popularizartion of this concept by the Rings Trilogy facilitated the acceptance of the D&D RPG, though. As I mentioned before, I did indeed play to that audience for that very reason. ;)

Gary

Remove ads