• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions About the Marshal Base Class from MH

saucercrab

Explorer
1. The Aura ability says, unless otherwise noted, it effects all allies within a 60' range. What if the marshall doesn't want the effect to affect allies? What if he wants the bonus all to himself? Would he still have to verbalize to himself, or could he just plot out his tactics in his mind to gain the benefit?

2. Is it worth it for a spellcaster to dip a level or two into marshall for the determined caster minor aura, if the character has a really high Charisma? Even/especially if the character is a mystic theurge? Specifically a Sor 7/Clr 5/MT 9 [actually a sharn (4HD + 5LA)/MT 9; I've mentioned them here before] with a Charisma in the high 30's. I realize that this would stall the progression of spells & spell slots, but a +14 to penetrate SR seems like a good trade to me.

Silveras

First Post
saucercrab said:
1. The Aura ability says, unless otherwise noted, it effects all allies within a 60' range. What if the marshall doesn't want the effect to affect allies? What if he wants the bonus all to himself? Would he still have to verbalize to himself, or could he just plot out his tactics in his mind to gain the benefit?

2. Is it worth it for a spellcaster to dip a level or two into marshall for the determined caster minor aura, if the character has a really high Charisma? Even/especially if the character is a mystic theurge? Specifically a Sor 7/Clr 5/MT 9 [actually a sharn (4HD + 5LA)/MT 9; I've mentioned them here before] with a Charisma in the high 30's. I realize that this would stall the progression of spells & spell slots, but a +14 to penetrate SR seems like a good trade to me.

1. Since not being able to be heard by allies negates the auras, I would say that yes, the Marshall must verbalize, and no, s/he cannot limit the effect to self-only.

2. That's a judgement call, not a rules question. If it seems like a good trade-off to you, do it; otherwise, do not.

Silveras said:
1. Since not being able to be heard by allies negates the auras, I would say that yes, the Marshall must verbalize, and no, s/he cannot limit the effect to self-only.

Allies must hear the Marshall to gain the benefit.

The Marshall is not an egocentric class. His powers exist so that he may be of some help on the battlefield. In that sense, IMO, Auras aren't supposed to be limited to the Marshall only.

Nevertheless, the Auras description states that the allies must be within 60 feet of the Marshall, and must understand him. If the Marshall spoke in a language only understandable by himself, his Auras would only affect him...

Also, since Aura bonuses are based on the Marshall sizing up the situation, IMO again, he could very well size up the situation and keep the info for himself, which goes, to me, against everything the Marshall seems to stand for. In that sense, yes, the Marshall could only affect himself with his auras, which are Extraordinary abilities.

As I said, I don't think it's in the intent of the class, but I'd let it slide.

AR

saucercrab

Explorer
Thanks for the responses guys.

(And I asked #2 as a mechanics question, which should fit here. I wanted to see what others thought about one option as opposed to another. Just because it looks good to me, doesn't mean that it is mechanically-sound. ;) )

RigaMortus2

First Post
Quick question... The Marshal has to "shout" or otherwise verbalize in order to use his Auras, correct? If that is the case, then the answer to question #2 is that it is NOT a good idea to dip into Marshal because most (if not all) spells have a verbal component to them, and you can only do one or the other at a given time, give verbal commands for the aura, or speak verbal words for casting a spell.

Shin Okada

Explorer
1. I can't think of any case when a marshal does not want to give bonuses to his allies. But IMHO, if you don't really want to give the benefits of your aura to someone, you can just state that the one is not your ally. It is you who decides who is your ally. But that one will eventually notice you are not thinking him as your friend. It may or may not cause some trouble.

2. It depends. But being Mystic Theurge, you are already 1-2 spell levels behind pure casters. Adding some Marshal levels make it worth. And there are other ways to increase your caster level or to add bonuses for the caster level checks to overcome SR (spells, feats & items). So you would better exploit them.

RigaMortus2 said:
Quick question... The Marshal has to "shout" or otherwise verbalize in order to use his Auras, correct? If that is the case, then the answer to question #2 is that it is NOT a good idea to dip into Marshal because most (if not all) spells have a verbal component to them, and you can only do one or the other at a given time, give verbal commands for the aura, or speak verbal words for casting a spell.
Actually, it's "Activating an aura" that necessitates haranguing, ordering, directing, encouraging, cajoling or calming allies. I wouldn't think that the Marshal needs to talk 24/7 in order to give his Allies the benefit of his auras...

Edit: what I was getting at is that a Marshall/spellcaster can probably slip a spell in there without interrupting the effect of his active auras. A Marshall's aura is only dismissed when the Marshall is "dazed, unconscious, stunned, paralyzed, or otherwise unable to be heard or understood by his allies".

AR

Last edited:

Hairfoot

First Post
I can't imagine why the marshall would have to talk out loud to give himself the benefit of his own knowledge. An aura involves giving allies commands so they can exploit tactics and enemy weaknesses which the marshall has trained to recognise.

saucercrab

Explorer
RigaMortus2 said:
I take it you don't have the MH? Auras can be cativated as a free (or swift?) action that can be kept up until the marshall decides to end them. In my character's case, it only really cares for the aura that helps penetrate SR, so that would pretty much always be up.

Shin Okada said:
1. I can't think of any case when a marshal does not want to give bonuses to his allies. But IMHO, if you don't really want to give the benefits of your aura to someone, you can just state that the one is not your ally. It is you who decides who is your ally. But that one will eventually notice you are not thinking him as your friend. It may or may not cause some trouble.

2. It depends. But being Mystic Theurge, you are already 1-2 spell levels behind pure casters. Adding some Marshal levels make it worth. And there are other ways to increase your caster level or to add bonuses for the caster level checks to overcome SR (spells, feats & items). So you would better exploit them.
1. We're playing in a evil game (my character is CN, however). FR's CotSQ, actually. As it is, my character hardly ever helps buff the rest of the party, so keeping this one ability to itself wouldn't be out of place (aside from the fact that it wouldn't advertise the ability anyway).

2. Uh, did you mean worse, or worth it? Not sure... (And I don't even plan on taking marshall levels until the character has a sorcerer caster level of 19th (which would be in the epic levels, 22nd ECL to be precise; my GM has already flat-out stated that he would like to continue with these characters even after CotSQ ends).

Shin Okada

Explorer
2. Uh, did you mean worse, or worth it? Not sure... (And I don't even plan on taking marshall levels until the character has a sorcerer caster level of 19th (which would be in the epic levels, 22nd ECL to be precise; my GM has already flat-out stated that he would like to continue with these characters even after CotSQ ends).

Oops. I meant to say "worse". Sorry, "th" and "s" are same sound in Japanese language. I often do such kind of mistakes, especially when I am sleepy. :heh:

But, taking some levels of marshal class could be a good idea if you are to play epic level campaign. Once you got the full spell slots for a 20th-level caster, all you will get thereafter is caster level. That can be compensated by taking Practices Spellcaster feat.

And you can have true allies other than your party members. I mean, cohorts, summoned monsters and such.

Remove ads