• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!
Quests From The Infinite Staircase

D&D 5E Quests From The Infinite Staircase

Setting hopping is a theme here
The Infinite Staircase is specifically a planar travel device. There wouldn't be much point if the adventures could easily narratively fit into a single setting like Yawning Portal and GoS.

The reason some old adventures hadn't been done before is because they were too strongly tied to setting lore - insufficiently generic.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Infinite Staircase is specifically a planar travel device. There wouldn't be much point if the adventures could easily narratively fit into a single setting like Yawning Portal and GoS.

The reason some old adventures hadn't been done before is because they were too strongly tied to setting lore - insufficiently generic.
The key art from the press release does suggest that there will be something from Eberron, sure.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Worth noting thst this book was announced after a panel from WotC top developers going over the history of Adventures and calling out some specific significant examples from D&D history

Adventures name checked that are not currently published in 5E are, including the S modules thst appear to be in this anthology:

• The Sunken Shadow (Dungeon)
  • House of Cards (Dungeon)
  • T1 The Village of Hommlet
  • the DL series from Dragonlance
  • Red Hand of Doom
  • City of the Spider Queen
  • S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
  • Shadows of the Last War (Eberron)
  • S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
  • Gates of Firestorm Peak
The Desert of Desolation modules are contenders I think.

I doubt this really has much to do with Tales from the Infinite Staircase beyond it's similar name. But Tales had a threat, called the Iron Shadow in the Background that sort of connected each adventure in that book. In Tales of the Infinite Staircase, I speculated before with the Iron Shadow as a malevolent force of Law that drained creativity from wherever it touched, it was a creation of the Wind Dukes of Aqaa that created the Rod of Seven Parts, and that the Wind Dukes had malevolent intentions as they aren't exactly "good".

I don't think that Quests from the Infinite Staircase will have such a thing, even if there's another adventure coming out this year that involves the Rod of Seven Parts.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Here's what I'd like to see:

1. I3: Pharaoh (including the others is probably a stretch)
2. C2: The Ghost Tower of Inverness
3. S4: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth (along with The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun)
4. D1-3/Q1: Descent in the Depths of the Earth/Tua-Koa/Vault of the Drow/Queen of the Demonweb Pits.
5. I1: Dwellers of the Forbidden City
6. The Whispering Cairn

These would also provide a good spread of challenges for PCs from 1st-13th or so.

Remove ads