• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quests of Doom 2: Six New 5E Adventures from the Necromancers!

Quests of Doom 2 is coming soon from Necromancer Games. Unlike QoD1, this one won't be a Kickstarter - instead, they're simply taking direct pre-orders. This book contains six adventures, all for 6th level or below. (thanks to Jeremy for the scoop) "From the weird and terrifying interior of the Spire of Iron and Crystal (cover) to the heat-misted Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti, this sequel to the two-volume Quests of Doom offers a whole new set of adventures for Fifth Edition. These adventures are all for characters level six and below, so the book isn't going to sit on the shelf and gather dust. Are your players up to the challenge of old-school First Edition style play? Make them earn those experience points."

Quests of Doom 2 is coming soon from Necromancer Games. Unlike QoD1, this one won't be a Kickstarter - instead, they're simply taking direct pre-orders. This book contains six adventures, all for 6th level or below. (thanks to Jeremy for the scoop) "From the weird and terrifying interior of the Spire of Iron and Crystal (cover) to the heat-misted Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti, this sequel to the two-volume Quests of Doom offers a whole new set of adventures for Fifth Edition. These adventures are all for characters level six and below, so the book isn't going to sit on the shelf and gather dust. Are your players up to the challenge of old-school First Edition style play? Make them earn those experience points."

Pre-orders are here. The release date is based on the pre-orders; they will give the go-ahead to the printer at $5000 of pre-orders (in essence it's almost like a Kickstarter with using Kickstarter!)

"We intend to raise at least $5000 in pre-orders for Quests of Doom 2 over the next few weeks, at which point we will give the green light to the printer just like our other Kickstarter project. "Why not just use Kickstarter?" you ask... well for two reasons really...

1. This is a rather small project compared to our others, and 2. We are curious how our customers will respond to this pre-order method.

We have many new titles coming out over the next year. In order to achieve a timely publishing schedule, we need to determine the best process for funding the production of each title."

QoD2_Cover_Thumb.jpg

Here's a quick look at the table of contents (which includes nine pages of monsters).

The Spire of Iron and Crystal (6th level)....................................p. 4
The Mire of Mourning (6th level).......................................... p. 24
Death in the Painted Canyons (5th level)....................................p. 39
Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti (5th level).................................p. 56
MCMLXXV (“1975”) (1st level)............................................p. 78
Grimmsgate (1st-2nd level).....................................................p. 95
Monster Appendix.............................................................. p. 113
Legal Appendix..................................................................p. 123

Shadow Demon

Explorer
I think it would have been less confusing if they had called the new book Quests of Doom, Volume 3 to distinguish it from Quests of Doom, Volume 2. Having two distinct products, one called Quests of Doom 2 and one called Quests of Doom, Volume 2 is just inviting misunderstandings.

Full credit goes to Greg A. Vaughan. So, please feel free to give him kudos for his model
in clarity. ;)

Didn't necromancer have a special one off license with wotc over and above the ogl? Did any of those minsters come from those?

Yes. They managed to sneak one by WOTC team in the early days of the OGL. As far as I'm concerned, they personally hosed me (and the other backers, and the sculptors) out of a couple hundred bucks for no gain to themselves because they wouldnt get their 15%. But 15% of no mini sales is still $0. Why screw over the backers at that point? They could have waived their "licensing fee" off stuff they didnt even invent, not blocked the deal, and the backers would have received something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg V

First Post
Some of the posts are a little off topic, and people are still mad about the CSM debacle, which is totally understandable. A black eye is a black eye, and there's no avoiding it. Frog God Games hates the way the CSM thing turned out as much as anybody and watched in horror as it fell apart especially after (as has been correctly noted) getting behind it publicly and thinking it was a going to be a good thing. No avoiding that on our part, and everyone affected has every right to be upset at whomever they want to. No blame dodging here. However, there are a few inaccuracies that need to be cleared up.

1. Necromancer Games didn't "sneak one by" the WotC team. They received permission from WotC to publish the Tome of Horrors and the older monsters it contained but that had not been updated to 3e or released by WotC. Necro had a good relationship with Ryan Dancey and was able to obtain that permission. No sneaking; just asking.

2. Frog God Games did "waive their licensing fee" as it's being called to allow the sculptors to sell their sculpts and get whatever they can for their work. FGG wants them to be able to recoup whatever they can for their work and has publicly stated they will not stand in their way to do so.

3. CSM came to FGG about the licensing of the Tome of Horrors monsters for sculpts, not the other way around. We've never claimed ownership over those OGL monsters, only the Tome images that were used in the sculpts. If you've read the contract we had with CSM (that we have publicly posted), you'll notice that the wording is a nightmare of absurdity and specifically says something to the affect of the opposite. It was our first foray (and last foray) into that kind of deal and was a terribly crafted document. That did not, in and of itself, affect the failure of CSM's Kickstarter, but it is a thing that we have revealed publicly and further illustrates our general ineptitude in the thing. No excuses, just shame. But, as you have correctly noted, we do not own those monsters nor have we ever claimed to, only the art from our own book. Despite the pathetic wording, that's all that was licensed, and that has not prevented the sculptors from trying to recoup what they can and did not in any way affect the deal presented by Mortal Arrow. There are no licensing fees issues standing in the way of anyone salvaging the CSM project.

4. We didn't block the deal with Mortal Arrow, nor did we intend to screw the backers. Mortal Arrow presented his deal to us, and he wanted us to pay him to pick up CSM's project so he could produce it and then charge the backers to cover the rest of the cost. We refused to play ball and write him a check based on this plan that in no way made the backers whole and was from a guy that we knew nothing about and who used some not-so veiled threats of PR consequences if we didn't go along with his plan, because he wouldn't be fulfilling the backers orders anyway. His deal was just to get the minis made off of the existing sculpts and then he would try to sell them through his own venues, and he wanted us to fund it from the partial licensing fee that we had previously collected from CSM. This has been a huge piece of misinformation that has been floating around. We don't dislike or have any personal beef with Mortal Arrow. We didn't like how we perceived his offer to be worded (he may disagree in regards to his intended effect, and I can't argue with him, that's just how it looked to us).

There is no doubt that CSM's failure to deliver on the minis screwed over a ton of backers. And FGG hates it too. Yes, FGG did collect a licensing fee off of the first CSM KS (we did not ever receive it off of the second, however) to the tune of something over $12,000 after KS took it's share (don't have the exact figures in front of me). Because FGG did not outright own the rights to the Tome of Horrors art (it had originally been a Necromancer Games book) we had to pay our own fees to parties that held an ownership interest in that book leaving FGG with something over $8,000 from the licensing fee that we collected. Some people have argued that we charged too much for the fee (since it was a percentage of the money raised in the KS) or that we didn't charge enough or that we should have waited until after fulfillment to collect or whatever. No arguments there. I don't know if what we charged for the licensing fee was too much, too little, or just right. It is what it is and was just what was agreed to between us and CSM as a fee. I have no idea how to objectively value such a thing beyond what the parties involved agree will be paid. It seemed like the right amount at the time. In hindsight we obviously should have waited until after fulfillment to collect though. I can guarantee you that $8,000 is in no way worth the heartache and bad feelings that have developed as a result of this mess.

We did refuse to turn that money over to Mortal Arrow, but he was not proposing to us that he would make the backers whole, just that he would produce the minis and then sell them - to the backers and anyone else. We had just gotten burned in a big way by an unproven mini maker and now another was demanding we pay him money and going about it in what we thought was a pretty unfriendly way. We refused to enter into Mortal Arrow's deal, it is true. We have never refused any way to try and make the backers and sculptors whole and have publicly released any interest we had in those sculpts to them. If someone comes along with a viable plan to indemnify the backers and sculptors they will receive no interference from us, and if the sculptors can do something with them to receive the sculpting fees they were never paid by CSM, then we hope they are successful.

Going from memory, the two CSM Kickstarters raised something in the range of $200,000. FGG has somewhere around $8,000. We know of no way to use that $8,000 and equitably make the backers whole. We've stated if someone comes up with a viable solution we're willing to support it. And if there's a way we could write a $8,000 check and make everybody good we would. But giving that $8,000 to Mortal Arrow would not have done so, and then everybody would still be mad plus be able to accuse us of giving their money to some previously uninvolved third party. From the beginining the proposal just wasn't a workable deal to solve the problem for the backers who had been burned.

People are mad about the CSM failures, and I don't blame them. We're mad too. Legally we were not/are not liable for CSM's actions nor had any control over his business practices or access to his books, but we were enthusiastic about the KS and know how it makes us look. And we know that people trusted us when we got excited about it too. If people want to be mad at FGG/NG about it, they have every right to be. We did profit off of the debacle to the tune of $8,000 and would happily wash our hands of that money to help the backers. But we can't just refund money to a random $8,000 worth of the $200,000 backers to make some whole and not others. And writing all the backers (whose info we don't even have, by the way) a check for 4 cents on the dollar doesn't really make anyone whole either. So we're all ears on how to go about it. We haven't spent that money and don't intend to in hopes of being able to put it towards some way to make it right someday. We just don't see what that way is.

If in their righteous anger about being burned on the CSM Kickstarter, folks want to be angry at us too, they certainly can do so. We won't argue with you other than to lay out facts about what we did or didn't do just so the full story is out there. Each individual will have to be his or her own judge of the events anyway. We look like fools on the deal, and we know it. We're not against the project ever being a success, but a way to actually make the backers whole has never truly been proposed to my knowledge. Only an attempt for a third party to pick up the reins and sell the product himself with us partially funding his investment. But we certainly don't blame anyone for feeling the way they feel. For what it's worth, this has taught a very clear lesson to us to stay out of minis manufacture (which we clearly and unfortunately know nothing about) and stick with book production where we've got a good track record and some actual expertise. If the bitterness is such for some and they can't/won't do business with us ever again, we obviously regret that but again can't really blame you. It was a bad deal all around and left a lot of people burned.

Not trying to stifle anyone's voice on the issue or tell anyone not to post stuff about it. Nor am I attempting to debate anyone over it. If you were burned on the CSM Kickstarters, you certainly have the right to vent about it wherever you want. We made the mistake of getting involved with CSM and have no one to blame but ourselves. We have and will continue to sincerely apologize to anyone that we influenced in any way to back those Kickstarters. Incidentally, one change we have made as a company (in addition to not doing minis or backing Kickstarters just because we think it looks like a really cool idea) is that we don't Kickstart a book ourselves until we have a completed manuscript in hand to ensure there will be no chance of backers getting burned. We probably should have always done it that way, but we've obviously been very naive in some ways as a fledgling company over the last few years. While we benefit from association with the prior Necromancer Games company, we do not possess their full infrastructure and personnel resources and have had to relearn a lot of stuff on our own. We warehouse out of Bill's farm and consist of a handful of people spread all across the U.S. It's as close to a garage company as you can be and still do most of the work virtually, and unfortunately sometimes we very much look like it. The CSM thing being a glaring example of course.

Anyway, I just want to make sure the info is out there on the CSM stuff so folks don't leave with the wrong idea about our motives or position. We'd love if you'd give our books a chance, but if you can't in good conscience because of the CSM mess or any other reason, we regret it but fully understand. Apologies again to everyone harmed by the CSM thing and rest assured we don't see it as some kind of a financial windfall on our part either. We hope for a resolution someday if one can be found.

Please resume you're previously scheduled posting - positive or negative. These forums are yours to be heard. I'm glad people feel comfortable to come here and speak their piece.

Greg Vaughan
Pathfinder Creative Director
Frog God Games

Thank you Greg for the additional information. My apologies for the derail and any misinformation. Its just a situation that all around stinks, and my frustration stems from the one possible light at the end of the tunnel that fell through. Anyways, good luck on your 5E endeavors!

Greg V

First Post
P.S. The weird naming of QoD Vol 1 and 2 is because of how the original 5e KS turned out (the second portion didn't fund). At the time we didn't know that there would be a demand for PF and S&W versions. So we made QoD in 2 volumes: one as the KS and one later as a second book sold separately because the backers demanded that we release that content as well even though it hadn't been reached in the stretch goals. Then when folks clamored for PF and S&W versions of it all, it didn't make sense to release it as two separate books for each of those versions as well (two books cost more to print and cost more to buy than one book), so we combined them together into just QoD for PF and S&W. At the time we weren't considering doing QoD as a product line, just as a one-off to test the 5e waters.

Later when we saw more and more demand for short 5e adventures we expanded QoD into a full product line so we could convert some of our existing PF and S&W adventures into 5e to meet that demand (QoD2, for example) plus create new adventures for all three versions as well (future QoDs).

So since it's its own product line now QoD is a single work (though unfortunately in 2 volumes for the 5e version but not the PF and S&W) while QoD2, QoD3, QoD4, etc. will all be contained in their own individual volumes. So there's really no way to prevent the whole Vol 1 and 2 confusion for the 5e version of the first QoD, but going forward it should get really easy because they'll all just be straight up numbered.

Anyway, the initial QoD numbering is indeed a mess because of a lack of foresight on our part, but starting with QoD2 and on it should smooth itself out nicely.

Greg

Greg V

First Post
Thank you Greg for the additional information. Its just a situation that all around stinks. Anyways, good luck on your 5E endeavors!

Thanks, ehren37. I couldn't agree with you more. I hate it too. But thank you for your well wishes. I sincerely appreciate that. It's hard not to be angry over something like the CSM deal, and you wishing us luck even despite that means a lot to me.

Greg

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
Hi Greg,

Thanks for posting and giving some more details.
All I can tell you is how it looked to me, as a backer of both ToH and ToH2.
From the outside, it looked like FGG had a knee jerk reaction of "hey, we arent a part of this/we got screwed too" in terms of trying to help the backers out. It was clear though, at least in the case of Skeeter Green, that he had at least tried to reach out and help Solarz, but was denied.

To be clear,I am not saying the Mortal Arrow deal was great. Even he admitted it was kind of vulture like in that he was going to try and pick up a project that was dying and turn it into some kind of profit. That's maybe capitalism at its finest.
From the outside, it really looked like FGG didn't even try to negotiate anything. Maybe that was a defensive response after just being burned and not wanting to risk it again, and I can understand that. It just seemed like from the outside there was the first round of negotiation (if we can even call it that) and it was abruptly over, as if you had to concede to 100% of Mortal Arrow's deal or it was off. If he leveraged it that way, I think backers might have been more forgiving of FGG, because you do deserve something for your IP, I dont think anyone contests that (and if they do, that makes them an idiot in my book).

The one point that actually surprised me was hearing that FGG still would like a way to make it up to the backers. Of course FGG can't refund every backer, I dont think anyone expected that from FGG. It just would have been nice to have some kind of gesture of goodwill, something like FGG saying "Hey, we hate how this turned out, and we know you got burned. We cant make the minis happen, but we can offer X". But instead it was just silence after the Mortal Arrow thing which kind of turned into a pissing match.

Also, there were less than 672 backers between both projects, so it's not 4 cents a backer, it is actually closer to $11.90 if you were dividing the $8000 up, and assuming every backer got one check, regardless if they backed one or both.

This is probably naive on my part, but it seems like when you already have PDFs up on the FGG store, it doesnt cost much to offer one of those up (meaning you dont have any printing or shipping costs, just your server maintenance/webspace, etc.). Maybe in hindsight it would have been a good idea, and a clear show of goodwill, to have offered up some kind of PDF credit, or just picked a few PDFs and distributed them to backers if they submitted an email with a screenshot of their KS pledge to ToH or ToH2 by a certain date.

I dont think a check in the mail is the answer frankly. Everyone involved with the ToH and ToH2 projects (with maybe the exception of Kickstarter and Matt Solarz himself) has taken a loss.

At this point the only way to contact all backers would be via snail mail, and that would run about $350 in postage alone (assuming each backer required a 49 cent stamp, a postcard format would be likely be cheaper)
I can only get a hold of about 112 via email/facebook.

The backers names and addresses are listed on the CSM petition and schedules for when Matt Solarz declared Bankruptcy. I have a PDF of that form if you want it, though not all the addresses are accurate.

Anyway, I appreciate you posting in detail and being open to the unpleasant feelings.

Zardnaar

Legend
I bought QoD2 and will likely run an adventure tomorrow. SOme of the critters are a bit out of whack here and there though I have been noticing. By that I mean to weak/hard.

Yikes, the whole Centre Stage Miniatures thing sounds like a terrible outcome for all involved.

I seriously considered backing the Kickstarter at the time. I think the only thing that held me back was my large pile of unpainted minis and my even larger pile of D&D pre-painted minis.

I think RAFM have also run into trouble with their Cthulhu miniatures Kickstarter (although not anywhere near as bad as they have sent a number of pledges out and are still working to fulfill the remaining pledges).

I guess it's unfortunately a case of buyer beware.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads