Quick Draw and Threat Area...

Will

First Post
Hmmmm. Here's a thought...

Readied action: Draw my sword if someone moves past me (or casts spell, or whatever AoO-type action seems likely to occur).

You draw the sword... before they complete their action (since it's readied).

You then threaten space and they incur an AoO.

Kemrain

First Post
Darklone said:
I guess I'd allow it with Combat Reflexes AND Quickdraw.

JimAde said:
You could even require Improved Initiative as well. Three feats looks like a real commitment to a style.

Do I smell a PrC coming on? Heh, I could see this tying into other feats, like Expert Tactician, and anything that lets you render your opponent flatfooted for your next attack.

Um, with quickdraw, could you ready an action to draw your sword and attack if someone provokes an AoO, attack, and then take your AoO normally? It could be unbalanced, seeing as you're giving up your iterative attacks for 2 attacks at your highest bonus... I dunno.

Tying this to Combat Reflexes, what do you think of 'charging' an AoO from your max, for drawing a weapon to make an AoO? Drawing a weapon is usually a move action, a free action with Quickdraw, and attacking a standard action. What if you said "If you can draw a weapon as a free action, for the cost of an Attack of Opportunity for the round you can threaten an area as if you had a weapon drawn, and make other Attacks of Opportunity with said weapon"?

- Kemrain the Intrigued.

JimAde

First Post
Kemrain said:
Um, with quickdraw, could you ready an action to draw your sword and attack if someone provokes an AoO, attack, and then take your AoO normally? It could be unbalanced, seeing as you're giving up your iterative attacks for 2 attacks at your highest bonus... I dunno.
I would say no. An AoO is, by definition, a reaction, so you shouldn't be able to react and then react again.

Kemrain said:
Tying this to Combat Reflexes, what do you think of 'charging' an AoO from your max, for drawing a weapon to make an AoO? Drawing a weapon is usually a move action, a free action with Quickdraw, and attacking a standard action. What if you said "If you can draw a weapon as a free action, for the cost of an Attack of Opportunity for the round you can threaten an area as if you had a weapon drawn, and make other Attacks of Opportunity with said weapon"?

- Kemrain the Intrigued.
I assumed Darklone intended to charge for an AoO when he suggested requiring Combat Reflexes. Makes sense to me. As far as threatening, I have a problem with it. If you threaten, you grant and receive flanking bonuses. But if your weapon isn't drawn, the enemy won't perceive you as threatening (I think that's the whole idea of this tactic). So I'd say you don't threaten, but can still execute an AoO if someone provokes in the area you would threaten with the weapon in question.

Will

First Post
Kemrain, check my last message.

You can only ready a single action (move, standard, or free). But I think my idea should get around that...

Len

Prodigal Member
Will said:
You can only ready a single action (move, standard, or free). But I think my idea should get around that...
But the AoO also happens "before they complete their action" - if they try to move out of a threatened square, they suffer an AoO first and then they move. So which one happens first, the AoO or your drawing a weapon? I'd say they're simultaneous so that the opportunity passes while you're drawing your weapon.

It might work if you ready to draw if someone moves into a threatened square. Then if they continue on out of the square you're ready to make an AoO. That's a more specific situation though.

Will

First Post
Ah, but a ready action occurs 'just before the action that triggered it.'

I think 'just before' trumps 'before they complete.'

Remove ads