Quick Draw and Threat Area...

Darklone

Grayhawk said:
I think I've had that feat as part of my house rules for longer than that, but I may be mistaking.

Btw, I like your idea of allowing the drawing of a weapon as a free action on an AoO if you have both Quick Draw and Combat Reflexes. Even though feat synergies like that don't exist (to my knowledge).

But if you want the attack to deny the opponent of his dex bonus it should propably be a feat on it's own.
I suggest Flick of the Wrist ;)
Might be funny to allow to use it like that if you have Combat Reflexes and pay 2 AoO attempts for it...

Feat Synergies sound like a cool system, but there's one big problem (which you will notice when you look at the Fighting Styles in Quint Fighter 1... which were essentially some bonus feats for guys with many feats): Fighters. Any class essentially with bonus feats. They get more feats for what? For having some (useful) feats. Kewl.

What could be (or should have been) done: Feat chains. Like the talent trees in d20 modern. I sincerely hope they will craft D&D 4e like that. Convert all feats into feat trees and all class abilities into talent trees... and leave some slots open for free choice.

Kemrain

First Post
I've been thinking a lot about Feat Synnergies lately. Being able to draw a weapon and make an AoO, at the cost of using multiple AoO's for the round is a great example of this. Perhapse combining Combat Expertise with the Full Defense action, because it doesn't make sense to me that you could be harder to hit while you're fighting defensively than when giving everything to defense, could work too. There are plenty of Feat Synnergies out there, and I'd like to find and document them. My GM is excited about this idea. I'm excited about this idea. I know some of you are too. Let's figure this out.

Cobat Expertise + Full Defense = Total Defense. When wielding a weapon you are proficient with, as a full round action you may initiate Total Defense. You recieve the maximum Combat Expertise bonus, and the bonus from Full Defense (+4 or +6, depending on whether or not you have the tumble synnergy) to your AC, but you cannot take more than a 5 foot step, and you can only move five feet directly away from your attacker. If you are flanked, you cannnot move. If you have multiple non-flanking opponents, you can move in the direction most 'away' from them.

Maybe that'll only work in my game, but it's worth sharing. What feat could provide the Total Defense option in synnergy with Combat Expertise?

- Kemrain the Quickly Drawn.

So why would we do this? This helps classes that already get buckets of feats the most. Fighters are going to be the main recipients of these benefits, but I think they deserve them. Compared to the 3.5 Barbarian, Ranger, and Paladin, the Fighter is falling behind. Many people here on ENWorld have proposed ways to fix this problem: more feats, more skill points, more this, more that, but I think that Feat Synnergy could tip the scales in their favor, while still allowing other classes to benefit as well.
If Feats have Synnergistic bonuses with others that are related, but not directly benefitting one another, a system can be made that rewards a selection of feats that might otherwise have been suboptimal. Feat Synnergies should not contain two feats with eachother as prerequisites. Simply requiring a feat to take another ties them too closely to have a fair synnergy. It's unlikley that someone who took Mobility won't eventually take wither Spring Attack or Shot on the Run, so creating synnergy there would be unbalancing.
Feats that can be used together, but aren't directly related, make the best synnergies, as the Combat Reflexes/Quickdraw combo shows.

Combat Reflexes + Quickdraw = Draw and attack on AoO
Combat Expertise + ??? = Total Defense option.
Shot on the Run + Manyshot = Manyshot on the Run?
Run + Endurance = Increased movement even while Armored/Encumbered?

- Kemrain the Synnergistic.

Nifelhein

First Post
I am not sure but if it is not that way i would say that you have to attack with the weapon you are using to threaten. But since unarmeed strike does not mean punch, you could hold a weapon in both hands and still attack nearby...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
silentspace said:
If you got the Unarmed Strike feat, you would threaten... Would you then be able to use Quickdraw to draw a weapon and make an AoO?

Not without a house rule.

Apart from certain specific exceptions (Feather Fall, and speaking, are about it in the Core Rules), free actions can only be taken on your turn. An AoO does not occur on your turn (generally), and so you can't use Quick Draw in conjunction with an AoO.

-Hyp.

Remove ads