Quick Draw and Threat Area...

Len

Prodigal Member
Now that I've had a chance to look at the FAQ, it seems you're right. There's an example of a fighter readying to step forward and attack an archer when he fires, and it says he does get to attack and then take an AoO.

Darklone

JimAde said:
I assumed Darklone intended to charge for an AoO when he suggested requiring Combat Reflexes. Makes sense to me. As far as threatening, I have a problem with it. If you threaten, you grant and receive flanking bonuses. But if your weapon isn't drawn, the enemy won't perceive you as threatening (I think that's the whole idea of this tactic). So I'd say you don't threaten, but can still execute an AoO if someone provokes in the area you would threaten with the weapon in question.
Sooo... but if you don't "threaten" but do threaten and your opponent is not flanked... because he ignores you... that's a nice thing, isn't it?

SoulStorm

First Post
There's a feat from dragon magazine called Mercurial Strike that lets you draw a weapon whenever an opponent provokes an attack of opportunity. They're denied their dex bonus as well.

Nifelhein

First Post
Thanks guys, I belive that it really should call for a feat chain, with quick draw being base for it, Iaijutsu really is something very stylish and is more based on getting your opponent when he is not ready than anything, since in real life you cannot survive after a well placed strike that makes it.

I would not allow it simply for the reason of not being able to take actions when it is not your turn, be it free or not. I believe thi has a lot of potential and tht we should really try to carry this to the house rules forum, if someone hasn't already...

I think that the one with the blade in the scabbard would not be considering threatenig anything, i would follow the guidelines of invisible attackers, thus if your opponent does not know of your ability you do not have problems, if your opponent knows about it he can choose to ignore you or not, the thing is that he will not have his Dex if he is ignoring you or doesnot know.

Readying an action could be a good description, but Iajutsu is more than that, in fact, it does take a kind of trigger but it is more tied to getting your enemy unready than anything, much closer to a sneak attack and a rogue with a shortword hidden with sleigh of hand.

JimAde

First Post
Darklone said:
Sooo... but if you don't "threaten" but do threaten and your opponent is not flanked... because he ignores you... that's a nice thing, isn't it?
Yes, it's very nice. Nifelhein has explained it better than I in his last post. That's what I meant to say. :)

Grayhawk

First Post
Darklone said:
Someone posted houserules some months ago with an improved quickdraw feat that allowed what you described... very stylish, he added some other stuff.
Is this what you're talking about?

'Knife out of Nowhere
Prerequisites: Dex 15+, Quick Draw
Benefit: A PC with this feat may draw a light weapon in order to make an attack of opportunity, even if he would normally not receive an attack of opportunity due to being unarmed. The target of the attack of opportunity is denied her dexterity bonus against this single attack.
Normal: Characters may only draw a weapon during their own turn. Characters who do not threaten the space around them may not make attacks of opportunity.'

I don't remember it's source, but I'm pretty sure I got it on these boards.

Last edited:

Grayhawk

First Post
Darklone said:
Thanks, Grayhawk. Yeah, I think it's from the houserules thread we had ... About two or three months ago?
I think I've had that feat as part of my house rules for longer than that, but I may be mistaking.

Btw, I like your idea of allowing the drawing of a weapon as a free action on an AoO if you have both Quick Draw and Combat Reflexes. Even though feat synergies like that don't exist (to my knowledge).

But if you want the attack to deny the opponent of his dex bonus it should propably be a feat on it's own.

Last edited:

Kemrain

First Post
Feat Synnergy. I really like this idea. Have there been any previous threads on it? The Combat Reflexes/Quickdraw combo is a great one, and there are plenty of feats out there that are kinda good, but would live upto the best feats (Spring attack, Power Attack, Cleave) if they had a synnergistic add-on.

- Kemrain the Synnergistic.

JimAde

First Post
Kemrain said:
Feat Synnergy. I really like this idea. Have there been any previous threads on it? The Combat Reflexes/Quickdraw combo is a great one, and there are plenty of feats out there that are kinda good, but would live upto the best feats (Spring attack, Power Attack, Cleave) if they had a synnergistic add-on.

- Kemrain the Synnergistic.
Martial Arts Mayhem uses a similar idea. You have to take some certain set of feats to represent a martial arts style. Once you've taken them all, you get an additional benefit (effectively a free feat). I haven't seen it generalized, though. "Feat Synergy" is a good name.

Remove ads