D&D 5E Quick Question: Spell Sniper and Magic Stone

pukunui

Legend
Thanks, DM!

Now I just have to figure out whether it's worth taking the feat or not. Clerics don't have many spells that require ranged attacks. There's guiding bolt, which I'll almost always have prepared, plus my ray of frost cantrip. I'm going to take sacred flame at 4th level as my next cleric cantrip (currently I've got guidance, light, and thaumaturgy), at which point I could potentially swap out acid splash for another wizard attack spell, like fire bolt or chill touch. If I were to do that, then magic stone would be the fourth ranged attack spell in my repertoire.

I'm contemplating taking a 1-level dip into wizard as well, but I would only take utility spells with it. Nothing that requires an attack roll or a saving throw.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Jonathan's DM here... good discussion, all quite valid points raised. I actually said yes just before I saw this thread...

For me, the important thing to remember in cases like this is that 5e was always designed to escape the "RaW" problems that came to plague 3.5

I'm with you. The very first Sage Advice (and it's in the compendium) talked about how to interpret rules. RAW came up, and RAI (Rules as Intended), but a very important category is RAF - Rules as Fun.

It not broken and it's fun? Say yes to your players.

I don't think that was the type of cantrip intended but I don't think it will break anything mathwise if you take Magic Stone unless you think you have a loophole that you want to point out either here or immediately in play.

D&D is not a game of "gotcha" with the DM and/or internet forums. The DM is free to shut it down and say "pick a different cantrip" at anytime.

Remove ads